PDA

View Full Version : Spell Attack focused Druid

M@XIM
2013-10-20, 08:19 PM
So when making my first druid I went into it thinking I'd depend on summonings and my animal companion until level 12 where I'd switch my focus to wildshaping and grab the dragon shape feat.

That is until my Fleshraker met an untimely death trying to save a seduced barbarian and a very important book (said book contained another realm) from a succubus and some other summoning which was immune to nearly everything. Now my DM is saying I need to quest to a dino friendly rainforest to find another fleshraker. No complaints here as I don't want another fleshraker atm. So now I'm looking at spell combos (call lightning + cloudburst) since I really enjoy the spell casting side of things. Plus we have a new summoning centered sorcerer and it feels like we're competing. So on the verge of hitting level 6 and getting natural spell. I'm thinking of asking my DM to allow me to change my two current feats which are augment summoning and natural focus and Ive never used them. So if he lets me change them what would you suggest? I am using a lot of call lightning, green fire, briar web, flaming sphere currently.

eggynack
2013-10-20, 08:34 PM
I don't know if you necessarily need to apply feats to damaging spells to make them decent. I don't think there's much point to the non-call lightning damage spells though. You may want to consider tossing some skill points into survival (or boost your score in some fashion) so that you can predict when storms are going to hit, and boost your lightning calling powers. You might also want to trade out briar web for something a bit more effective, like impeding stones (City, 66) or entangle. The only real advantage of briar web is that you can travel through it freely, because the damage is small potatoes, and the lock down on the other two spells is ridiculously powerful. You could also add in haboob or arctic haze, which have a damage component, though I prefer sleet storm in general.

One damage spell I've been pretty impressed by is hammer of righteousness (BoED, 100), though the strength damage makes it bad for spamming. You might want to look into swift concentration (CS, 90), which lets you double down on call lightning in a round. At 7th level, your best bet is going to be boreal wind, and later on you can take rashemi elemental summoning for a pile of cones of cold.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-20, 08:36 PM
Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) is always useful. Consider taking Natural Bond, you can apply your own effects in the most beneficial order so your next Fleshraker will be at 'level -3' and then the +3 for the feat brings you back up to your actual Druid level for determining its benefits. Also be sure to use Handle Animal to give it the Warbeast template from MM2. Consider getting a Dire Eagle from Races of Stone instead, you can even use it as a flying mount. Still use Handle Animal to make it a Warbeast. Note the table in PH2 page 41 mistakenly lists a Dire Eagle at 'level -6' where as the paragraph in Races of Stone states it's available at 'level -3'. Luckily the primary source rules found in the PHB/DMG Errata states that when the text description and the table entry disagree, the text description always trumps the table, so it's still a 'level -3' companion.

There's a great list of recommended feats in this handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=4j8q5r5mb3r6qutv8qdkn3uc55&topic=1354.msg35414#msg35414). One of the many Initiate feats found there could be worthwhile depending on what extra spells it gives you access to.

The Druid spell list gets some great offensive choices, especially if you have a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend Spell. An Extended Creeping Cold ends up dealing 21d6 cold damage over six rounds, Splinterbolt is like Scorching Ray but it makes normal ranged attack rolls instead of ranged touch attacks. Icelance is extremely good, especially since stunned opponents drop what they're holding. Kelpstrand doesn't deal damage but it's a powerful crowd control, considering you get to add your BAB, caster level, and Wisdom bonus to the checks. Frostburn has a few extremely powerful spells in Blood Snow and Call Avalanche. It also has the game-breaking combo of Snowsight and Obscuring Snow. If you choose to exploit that, get the rest of your party to each pitch in 2,000 gp for 1st level Pearls of Power and to pay for Lesser Rods of Extend. This way you only need to spend one spell slot to put Snowsight on the whole party, and Obscuring Snow is on the Druid, Cleric, and Sorcerer/Wizard spell lists, so your party will always be at a severely significant advantage.

WinWin
2013-10-20, 08:49 PM
Energy substitution and born of three thunders are fun.

Adding a save vs. knockdown rider to stuff like produce flame, flaming sphere and venomfire (especially for auto-damaging swarms with poison) has great utility. I think there is a centipede swarm compainion in one of the web suppliments, druid level -6 and fairly easy to replace.

Kelpstrand is a go-to spell choice. It's pretty good and gets better as you level.
I like Spirit Jaws too.

Spuddles
2013-10-20, 09:54 PM
If you have good ranged attack, icelance is pretty cool. Some damage and save vs stun.