PDA

View Full Version : Infallible Servant

Story
2013-10-20, 11:22 PM
So I looked through Exemplars of Evil today and one spell caught my eye - Infallible Servant (pg 28). It's a 3rd level spell that blocks the target from being raised, even with True Resurrection. It was designed for villains to use on their minions in case of capture, but there's no particular reason it can't be used on enemies apart from the fact that it's [evil], has a one minute casting time, and has to be cast while the target is still alive.

But then I looked closer, and it apparently can be bypassed by Miracle. Which seems pretty stupid to me since anyone who can cast True Resurrection can also cast Miracle just as easily (unless they're a Healer). It also raises the question of how exactly this works. Do you cast Miracle followed by True Resurrection, or what? Miracle can't normally raise you without a body, AFAIK.

Nettlekid
2013-10-21, 12:06 AM
Well, because that use of Miracle isn't directly stated as one of its lesser effects, like duplicating lower level spells, then it'll cost you 5000 XP. Which is hefty to pay for a minor servant who got vaporized by his boss.

Story
2013-10-21, 01:08 AM
Who said anything about minor servants? If I were evil, or perhaps even neutral, I'd use this on all my enemies before killing them if I could.

Also, what's really weird is the implication that Miracle can emulate TR. The only explanation I can think of is that you're supposed to cast Miracle followed by TR.

AntiTrust
2013-10-21, 12:53 PM
Wasn't Exemplars of Evil 3.0? Can someone check the 3.0 wording for miracle, maybe its slightly different?

Fax Celestis
2013-10-21, 01:11 PM
Wasn't Exemplars of Evil 3.0? Can someone check the 3.0 wording for miracle, maybe its slightly different?

EoE was one of the last 3.5 books. So no, it was very not 3.0.

EoE also has no errata.
RAI, to me, seems to be that miracle is used as sort of an advanced remove curse, requiring independent resurrection (true or otherwise).