PDA

View Full Version : Psi-Crystal PC...

visigani
2013-10-21, 02:53 AM
Let's say a Psi-Crystal's master dies permanently. That psi-Crystal still retains its intelligence, as well as its fundamental character traits...

Could it become a PC? If not... why not?

Moonwolf727
2013-10-21, 03:23 AM
Let's say a Psi-Crystal's master dies permanently. That psi-Crystal still retains its intelligence, as well as its fundamental character traits...

Could it become a PC? If not... why not?

Well I don't see why not but I honestly don't know, it is, however, a very interesting concept, mayhap if this part of the forums doesn't help you could pop over to the homebrew design and request that someone work out a template or race for Psicrystals as PC's so that you could play one. Sorry if I've not been helpful but I'm making sure to keep up with if this goes anywhere. :smallsmile:

visigani
2013-10-21, 06:19 AM
Well I don't see why not but I honestly don't know, it is, however, a very interesting concept, mayhap if this part of the forums doesn't help you could pop over to the homebrew design and request that someone work out a template or race for Psicrystals as PC's so that you could play one. Sorry if I've not been helpful but I'm making sure to keep up with if this goes anywhere. :smallsmile:

See, that's the thing. I don't know necessarily that it could be categorized *as* homebrew.

There's precedent for familiars becoming player characters in the race of the Tibbit, but more improtantly this isn't so much a new race as a discussion on what is otherwise an unanswered question.

We know psi-crystals don't just stop working on their owners death, so conceivably they'd operate under the same guidelines as emancipated spawn.

Where it gets really crazy is when you think about it... intelligent psi-crystals could duplicate all the effects necessary to *seem human* and they would be effectively immortal. There could be an entire "village" of psicrystals

What gets even crazier is that, assuming they can take class levels after the masters permanent death, they can reproduce...

An Epic Psi-Crystal whose epic level 40 psion master finally died of old age could begin play with 24 intelligence, gobs of hitpoints and a whole host of abilities.

The fundamental issue is that unlike virtually every other type of construct Psi-crystals are intelligent. They can learn.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-21, 06:56 AM
A psicrystal is a shard of the owner's personality, I don't think it can go on after the owner's death. It would most likely deteriorate back into the ectoplasm from whence it came.

If a Druid dies, his animal companion loses all the bonus HD and other benefits he gave it. If a Wizard dies, his familiar loses all the benefits it got from being a familiar, because a dead creature's class features are no longer in effect. The same goes for a psicrystal, if the owner dies, then the owner's feat is no longer present in the game world and the benefits of that feat go away.

For playing as a psicrystal, there was actually a build based on this idea quite a while back called The Big Guy Is With Me (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1000846), in which you make a fairly incapable character who spends every feat and power he has to improve his psicrystal. Another (low-op) option that I'm fairly fond of is taking the Major Titan Bloodline (www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#titan) and Fiend of Possession (FF) on such a character, and possessing the psicrystal. It would gain your ability to use a gargantuan two-handed warhammer without penalty, so give it a Glove of Storing or a Glove of the Master Strategist with a gargantuan wooden mallet so it can appear to pull it from its pocket Animaniacs style.

Fouredged Sword
2013-10-21, 08:30 AM
What if a psion used the psionic sandwich trick to merge with his own psycrystal? It is posible to migrate from your physical body and become a little construct with immense psionic power...

Ok, I got to make an epic character who does just that to make himself a psionic lich of some kind. One could set up a contingent true mindswitch to possess a new psicrystal each time you die.

gooddragon1
2013-10-21, 08:40 AM
The fundamental issue is that unlike virtually every other type of construct Psi-crystals are intelligent. They can learn.

This was inevitable. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/inevitable.htm)

Maginomicon
2013-10-21, 10:41 AM
For the same reason a creature with the "(cohort)" descriptor, an animal companion, or a familiar can't become a PC, a psicrystal can't become a PC. It has no Level Adjustment.