PDA

View Full Version : Weird Paladin Mounts

Kevka Palazzo
2007-01-03, 04:06 PM
I've rarely played a paladin, but the other day, while reading the Eberron Campaign Setting, I suffered from a fit of "play a divine champion."

So I waited until one of my DMs decided to throw together some last-minute thing and I'm making an ECL 6 human pally 5/exorcist of the silver flame 1.

Problem is, I really want some mount other than a heavy warhorse. While they're certainly cool animals, I want something a little more....epic, if you catch my meaning.

I can't find any restrictions on the HD of the animal for the special pally mount, so I need some input here. What kind of weird animal would be best for a special pally mount?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-03, 04:08 PM
Heh, in the Arms and Equipment Guide there is detailed info for riding a gelatinous cube. Complete cracked up.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-03, 04:08 PM
I've rarely played a paladin, but the other day, while reading the Eberron Campaign Setting, I suffered from a fit of "play a divine champion."

So I waited until one of my DMs decided to throw together some last-minute thing and I'm making an ECL 6 human pally 5/exorcist of the silver flame 1.

Problem is, I really want some mount other than a heavy warhorse. While they're certainly cool animals, I want something a little more....epic, if you catch my meaning.

I can't find any restrictions on the HD of the animal for the special pally mount, so I need some input here. What kind of weird animal would be best for a special pally mount?
I think by that level the DMG says griffons are acceptable mounts. I know my ECL 7 paladin has one.

Heh, in the Arms and Equipment Guide there is detailed info for riding a gelatinous cube. Complete cracked up.
XD

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-03, 04:16 PM

I just read that last night it is hilarious. I like that the person riding has to leave running to avoid being absorbed.

how about a rhino or war elephant.

tape_measure
2007-01-03, 04:17 PM
I can't recall (nor do I have the books to justify it), but I beleive you can get a Celestial Lion around 6th. If so, that would be my vote...

krossbow
2007-01-03, 04:20 PM
See if you can get a druid :smalltongue:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-03, 04:26 PM
I heard once about some guy getting a monk for a steed because of his bonuses to land speed. And better yet, by 'spurring your mount' the both of you can get some tremendous speed going :smallamused:

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-03, 04:30 PM
you could always go with a dragon, I believe the rules for it and such are in the Draconomicon.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-01-03, 04:41 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, and now I have a reason for getting the Arms and Equipment Guide, just so I can see how to ride a gelatinous cube. :smallbiggrin:

Magnus_Samma
2007-01-03, 04:43 PM
There's a number of variant mounts to be had in the DMG. I always liked the idea of riding a giant spider around...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-03, 04:46 PM
Thanks for your suggestions, and now I have a reason for getting the Arms and Equipment Guide, just so I can see how to ride a gelatinous cube. :smallbiggrin:
Keep in mind that its a 3.0 book. Most of the info in it is fine for 3.5 as its mostly full of items and materials. The creatures and a few other things in it though still use the old format.

Kevka Palazzo
2007-01-03, 04:51 PM
Keep in mind that its a 3.0 book. Most of the info in it is fine for 3.5 as its mostly full of items and materials. The creatures and a few other things in it though still use the old format.

Yeah I know. I've skimmed through it on a store shelf but usually picked up stuff that I thought was better. Fortunately Wizards is coming out with a Magic Items book that chronicles some 1000+ items and brings older ones up-to-date.

Brickwall
2007-01-03, 04:54 PM
If you have dinosaurs in your campaign, triceratops make awesome mounts when outdoors. If not, then there's always Dire Badgers for Small characters and Dire Wolverines for Medium characters.

Pegasos989
2007-01-03, 04:55 PM
Yeah, DMG has rules for variant rules.

I know that
a) Just because rules don't deny, doesn't mean I can
b) It is not in a list of suitable paladin mounts
but do the rules deny you riding on the back of a human? I mean that if gnome ride on the shoulders of a barbarian, he could actually use mounted combat to negate hits on the barbarian?

Renegade Paladin
2007-01-03, 05:00 PM
I think by that level the DMG says griffons are acceptable mounts. I know my ECL 7 paladin has one.

XD
You have to reach paladin level 8 to get a griffon mount. The relevant rules are on page 204 of the DMG.

Brickwall
2007-01-03, 05:00 PM
He'd have at least a -12 penalty to ride (nonproficient with mount, inappropriate animal, no saddle), but he could. The barbarian would hve to hold on to the gnome somehow, but might have one hand free.

Varen_Tai
2007-01-03, 05:01 PM
I had a player with a 2E pally who had a giant gecko for a mount. Named him Mudflap. Heh.

Gamebird
2007-01-03, 05:24 PM
Take a Small character. Talk to the DM about dropping the paladinic mount special ability in exchange for something else (doesn't matter what). Then take the Leadership feat and get your mount through it. Seriously - a druid is a great choice. They've be 5th level as a cohort and therefor able to be a Medium animal for five hours a day. When you go up a level, it will be able to be your mount for 12 hours and the level after that, it can do it for 21 hours - well beyond how long you'll need it.

On the side it will be able to cast a variety of useful spells while you're not riding it and you can stable it anywhere that people can sleep. It will even be quite a bit smarter than most mounts.

Pegasos989
2007-01-03, 05:28 PM
He'd have at least a -12 penalty to ride (nonproficient with mount, inappropriate animal, no saddle), but he could. The barbarian would hve to hold on to the gnome somehow, but might have one hand free.

There could be exotic saddle made. I don't know what it would look like, but by raw. (Well, RAW doesn't prohibit me from playing a human with 6 hands if I want to, so I don't know if it is a valid point with any sane DM)

It would be interesting...

tape_measure
2007-01-03, 05:32 PM
There was a spaltbook for Paladins and Clerics from 3rd edition (Defenders of the Faith) that had a lot of interesting ideas about paladin mounts outside the norm. It is 3.0....just to keep beating the dead horse.

tarbrush
2007-01-03, 05:45 PM
There's also the drakkensteed from Races of the Dragon. They're pretty neat.

Hannes
2007-01-03, 05:47 PM
It would be kickass to ride a minotaur.

Gamebird
2007-01-03, 05:54 PM
Make a warforged horse.
Ride a gorgon.
Or an iron golem.

The_Pope
2007-01-03, 05:55 PM
Um, dude, if you're playing Eberron, play a Halfling paladin. They can get velociraptor mounts. They're called Clawfoots.

Lord_Kimboat
2007-01-03, 06:26 PM
The one that always got me was the giant spider for a paladin. Mainly because in Living Greyhawk, using poison is not allowed because it is considered evil; however, if a creature with poison uses it as an ability that is okay.

This leads to the situation where no one in the party can use poison because its evil - except the paladin who can command his mount to attack and poison someone. :smalleek:

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-03, 07:09 PM
Expanding upon the idea of choosing a monk, I wonder how many DM's would let you combine the leadership's cohort with the paladin mount for, basically, a really good cohort. I would love to have Ping, the human monk who carries me into battle on his cart.

Or just a super powerful dragon mount.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-01-03, 07:51 PM
In our last campaign the halfling rogue PC ride around on the gnoll barbarian PC's shoulders. Constantly. The barbarian was a great way for her to get into range for a sneak attack, use full round actions to shoot arrows on the whole way in, and let him worry about getting hit.

[Edit:] The idea of Ping is just too cool. And you could ride in that cart all day... dangit Viscount, now I want to try that. And there's no way in hell my DM will let me.

General_Ghoul
2007-01-03, 08:01 PM
Do we even want to get into centaur mounts?

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-01-03, 08:37 PM
Do we even want to get into centaur mounts?

No :smalltongue:. Though that did come up in a thread I started *scurries off to find it*

Here it is: Design a Centaur Lancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30399)

Leon
2007-01-03, 09:43 PM
Make a warforged horse.

Warforge Charger - its kinda ape like

Dire War Boar, Dire War hawk for small races, Eagle for large

(i love the War template)

Jarl
2007-01-03, 09:53 PM
Rhino sounds good to me. Maybe finagle some bizarre template onto it, like... Phrenic, or... say... would the level adjustment on Half Dragon knock it too far into... yes, yes it would.

-But I like the Rhino idea.

Fhaolan
2007-01-03, 11:19 PM
I'm making an ECL 6 human pally 5/exorcist of the silver flame 1.

I don't know much about 'exorcist of the silver flame' other than what I found on the Wizard's website, and I know even less about the Eberron campaign setting, so what I'm about to suggest may not be feasable in that setting.

How about taking the Heavy Warhorse, and tweaking it a bit with a template? Fire Creature from the Manual of the Planes, for instance. Or if you want something weirder, half-fey from the Fiend Folio. (Yes, 3.0 books. I don't know if these have been revised for 3.5. :smallsmile:) At the Heavy Warhorse level, these templates add a little bit of crunch and a whole lot of fluff.

Wren
2007-01-03, 11:27 PM
That giant T-Rex battlemount from MM3 would be a kickass but rather out of place paladin mount.

captainswift
2007-01-03, 11:31 PM
I recently had an NPC paladin show up with a hippopotamus mount.

Sieg
2007-01-04, 12:23 AM
I am working in a paladin right now. After lvl 8 you are allowed to have some Big Dire Cats as your mounts (Lion,Tiger, Panther, etc)

I am personaly choosing the Panther (my DM allowed it) but I think the rule is applying only to the dire lion.

Try Defenders of Faith: A guidebook to Clerics and Paladins for more information.

Necomancer
2007-01-04, 01:44 AM
There's a number of variant mounts to be had in the DMG. I always liked the idea of riding a giant spider around...
...I *have* to try this now. Oh hey, I can give it to my goblin paladin too!