PDA

View Full Version : Original devil made by a friend: Scourge Cardinal

Fortinbro
2013-10-21, 12:36 PM
In my setting Lucifer is the ruler of the nine hells and has a world-wide secret church known as The Dark Cardinals. The mortal leader of that church is called The Black Pope and this is what they become after death:

Size/Type: Large Outsider (Devil, Extraplanar, Evil, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 18d8+144 (225 hp)
Initiative: +16
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 41 (46) (+8 Dex, +23 natural)(+5 damned protection), touch 17, flat-footed 32
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+22
Attack: Trident of lucifer's law +25 (1d8+8 + 2d6 profane) or vision of doom +21 (3d6+ 14 vile)
Full Attack: 3 Trident attacks +25 melee (1d8+8 + 2d6 profane) and 2 vision of doom +21 (3d6+ 14 vile)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks: lucifer's resentment,distorting dispersion,from blood which grows, spell-like abilities, summon devil
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/good and silver, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, regeneration 5, see in darkness, spell resistance 32, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +21, Ref +21, Will +23
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 27, Con 27, Int 26, Wis 26, Cha 37
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +34, Climb +29, Concentration +29, Diplomacy +33, Disguise +29 (+31 acting), Hide +25, Intimidate +15, Jump +40, Knowledge (arcana) +29, Knowledge (nature) +10, Knowledge (the planes) +29, Knowledge (religion) +29, Listen +29, Move Silently +29, Search +29, Spellcraft +31, Spot +29, Survival +8 (+10 on other planes, +10 when tracking), Tumble +22
Feats: Improved Initiative, Malign Spell Focus, Arcane Mastery, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Magic Weapon Greater Mass , Maximize Spell-Like Ability: Scorching Ray
Environment: A lawful evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary, pair, or congregation (1 scourge cardinal, 1 pit fiend, 2–5 horned devils, and 2–5 barbed devils)
Challenge Rating: 20
Treasure: Standard coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement:
Level Adjustment: —
COMBAT

Vision of Doom(Su): Using the anguish of those forever bound to torment for all time in the nine hells, a Scourge Cardinal can as a free action each round temporally connect one not yet bound to hell to one of these souls, causing excruciating pain that wounds deeper then physical pain. This can be done out to 60 feet to anyone for 3d6+Cha vile damage (see book of vile darkness for vile damage) a chaotic being gets no save, a neutral dc 34 will for half, lawful 29 dc for half. Dc is Cha based

Lucifer's Resentment (Su): Once every 1d4+2 rounds a scourge cardinal may attempt to make a melee touch attack as a standard action, if it hits the target must make a dc 35 will save or gain 2 soul chain levels(counts as negative levels that cannot be removed normally). So long as they stay with in 80 feet of the cardinal every round they take an additional 1 soul chain levels. The spiritual chains attempt to keep their victims near, they can only move at half normal speed. You cannot be affected by the same cardinal's soul chains more then once a day. The save DC is Constitution-based.
From Blood That Grows(Su): For every two soul chain levels the cardinal has inflicted all devils within 80ft gain a +1profane bonus to attacks, damage, saves, skills, and gain additional fast healing equal to soul chain levels.

Distorting Dispertion (Ex): A cardinal often caries souls to their proper domain after death, he may only benefit personally from 5 such souls at any time and needs 24 hours to bind a new one. So long as they stay in him he gains a +1 damned protection bonus. However he may release them as a full round action at which point they fly out on hellfire chains to distract and make vulnerable the cardinal's foes in hopes of reprieve from their suffering. For each released all nondevils within 60 feet take a -1 to all saves and AC. Soul counts as a ghost from MM 1 with100 health, they take 1/4damage from aoe's but all count as being within the 60 foot radius.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will—blasphemy (DC30), create undead, greater dispel magic, greater teleport, invisibility, magic circle against good, mass hold monster (DC31), persistent image (DC 28), power word stun, ray of enfeeblement,scorching ray;3/day—disintegrate (DC31), magic weapon greater mass, bestow curse, maze, force cage, greater shadow evocation, 1/ day prismatic wall, finger of death, heightened, empowered, maximized enervation Caster level 18th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.
Twice per year a scourge cardinal can use miracle as the spell (caster level 20th).
Summon Devil (Sp): Twice per day a scourge cardinal can automatically summon 2 lemures, bone devils, or bearded devils, or 1 erinyes, horned devil, or ice devil. This ability is the equivalent of an 8th-level spell.
Regeneration (Ex): A scourge cardinal takes normal damage from good-aligned silvered weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.

ddude987
2013-10-21, 07:31 PM
These seem pretty cool judging from the limited flavor you gave, but I would love to see a bunch more flavor for these!

Also, just out of curiosity, how did you get +40 jump? I count 21 (assuming max ranks) + 8 (str) + 4 (from movement speed) = 33 do devils have a racial bonus I forgot about?

Debihuman
2013-10-21, 09:57 PM
An Outsider's BAB is equal to its HD. Also Grapple is BAB + 18 + Special Size Bonus +4 for Large plus Str modifier +8 = +30 not +22.

Initiative is Dex modifier +8 plus +4 from improved initiative = + 12 not +16.

It has too many feats. It should have 7 feats and any additional feats need to be noted as bonus feats.

That's a horrible wall of text. Some proper formatting would be really helpful. Breaks between each special ability would be helpful too as would listing them alphabetically.

AC: What is the +5 doomed protection? Shouldn't this be a simple profane bonus?

Soul chain levels just mean negative levels that cannot be removed normally. However, you never explain how they are removed.

What is a trident of Lucifer's law? That belongs in treasure too. How many arms does a scourge devil have that it can wield 3 tridents. Vision of doom doesn't belong in the attack line since it is a special attack and a free action. Also a trident of Lucifer's law should be a magic weapon and have an enhancement bonus. Tridents are manufactured not natural weapons.

EDIT: I think some of your DCs for the spell-like abilities is wrong. Spell-like abilities have saves that are:

10 + the level of the spell the ability resembles or duplicates + the creature’s Cha modifier. The creature's Charisma modifier is +13. Some spells in the spell list are incorrect. See your feats for which spell-like abilities are adjusted.

Here is the corrected version. Note that the weapon is now a Large +2 magic weapon. See Equipment.

Devil, Scourge Cardinal
Large Outsider (Devil, Extraplanar, Evil, Lawful)
Hit Dice: 18d8+144 (225 hp)
Initiative: +16
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 41 (+8 Dex, +23 natural), touch 18, flat-footed 33
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+30
Attack: Trident of Lucifer's law +27 melee (2d6+10 plus 2d6 profane)
Full Attack: Trident of Lucifer’s law +27/+22/+17/+12 melee (2d6+10 plus 2d6 profane)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Lucifer’s resentment, distorting dispersion, from blood which grows, spell-like abilities, summon devil, vision of doom (3d6+14 vile)
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 15/good and silver, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, regeneration 5, see in darkness, spell resistance 32, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +21, Ref +21, Will +23
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 27, Con 27, Int 26, Wis 26, Cha 37
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +34, Climb +29, Concentration +29, Diplomacy +33, Disguise +29 (+31 acting), Hide +25, Intimidate +15, Jump +35, Knowledge (arcana) +29, Knowledge (nature) +10, Knowledge (the planes) +29, Knowledge (religion) +29, Listen +29, Move Silently +29, Search +29, Spellcraft +31, Spot +29, Survival +8 (+10 on other planes, +10 when tracking), Tumble +22
Feats: Improved InitiativeB, Malign Spell Focus, Arcane Mastery, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Quicken Spell-Like Ability: Greater Magic Weapon , Maximize Spell-Like Ability: Scorching Ray
Environment: A lawful evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary, pair, or congregation (1 scourge cardinal, 1 pit fiend, 2–5 horned devils, and 2–5 barbed devils) or with 1-5 ghosts
Challenge Rating: 20
Treasure: Standard coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Always lawful evil
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

COMBAT

Distorting Dispersion (Ex): A scourge cardinal often carries souls to their proper domain after death. A scourge cardinal may only benefit from a maximum of 5 souls at any time and needs 24 hours to bind a new one. For each soul a scourge cardinal contains, he gains a +1 profane bonus to AC (up to a maximum of +5).

Furthermore, a scourge cardinal may release one or more souls as a full-round action. The souls fly out from the scourge cardinal and attack the cardinal's foes in hopes of reprieve from their suffering. For each soul released, all nondevils within 60 feet take a -1 to all saves and AC. The sample scourge cardinal contains no souls.

From Blood That Grows (Su): For every two negative levels the cardinal has inflicted on targets, all devils within 80 feet gain a +1 profane bonus to attacks, damage, saves, skills, and gain additional fast healing equal to the number of negative levels bestowed.

Lucifer's Resentment (Su): Once every 1d4+2 rounds, a scourge cardinal may attempt to make a melee touch attack as a standard action. If it hits, the target must make a Will save (DC 35) save or gain 2 negative levels that cannot be removed normally but can only be removed by magic. As long as an affected target stays within 80 feet of the scourge cardinal it gains an additional negative level every round. Once a target has moved out of range, it no longer gains negative levels. Anyone affected by Lucifer’s Resentment can only move at half-normal speed. Targets cannot be affected by the same cardinal’s Lucifer’s Resentment more than once a day. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Regeneration (Ex): A scourge cardinal takes normal damage from good-aligned silvered weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.

Spell-Like Abilities: At Will—blasphemy (DC 30), create undead, greater dispel magic, greater teleport, invisibility, magic circle against good, mass hold monster (DC 31), persistent image (DC 28), power word stun, ray of enfeeblement, scorching ray; 3/day—disintegrate (DC 30), magic weapon, greater, bestow curse, maze, force cage, greater shadow evocation; 1/ day—prismatic wall, finger of death, enervation. Caster level 18th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Twice per year, a scourge cardinal can use miracle as the spell (caster level 20th).

Summon Devil (Sp): Twice per day as a standard action, a scourge cardinal can automatically summon 2 lemures or 2 bone devils, or 2 bearded devils, or 1 erinyes, or 1 horned devil, or 1 ice devil. This ability is the equivalent of an 8th-level spell.

Vision of Doom (Su): As a free action each round, a scourge cardinal can torment anyone not yet bound to hells, causing excruciating pain that wounds deeper than physical pain. This is a ranged touch attack at +27 that causes 3d6 + charisma modifier of vile damage to any target within 60 feet, (see Book of Vile Darkness for vile damage). A chaotic being gains no save; a neutral being may make a Will save (DC 35)or half damage; and a lawful being may make a Will save (DC 30) for half damage. Lawful beings gain a +5 bonus to their saves. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Equipment: A trident of Lucifer's law is a Large +2 trident that causes 2d6 points of profane damage in addition to its normal damage to any target it hits.

Debby

Fortinbro
2013-10-22, 11:16 AM
Debihuman,

Thanks for the corrections, I'll make the changes on our wiki.

Fortinbro
2013-10-22, 11:21 AM
These seem pretty cool judging from the limited flavor you gave, but I would love to see a bunch more flavor for these!

Also, just out of curiosity, how did you get +40 jump? I count 21 (assuming max ranks) + 8 (str) + 4 (from movement speed) = 33 do devils have a racial bonus I forgot about?

For additional lore, I've changed the layout of the hells in my setting as well as some of its rulers. It includes a description of the place the scourge cardinals reside:

First Layer: Avernus

Ruler: Duke Xaphan, Duchess Agrat

The River Styx flows to the towering gates of hell, which are connected to a massive citadel forged from blackened metal and the bones of slain demons. Its walls bristle with infernal engines of war and flames from soul furnaces and munitions factories erupt from within. This is the first line of defense in hell against invading demons.

Second Layer: Dis
Ruler: Duke Dispater

-The second circle of hell is a great city of heated, blackened iron dominated by Dispater's Iron Tower which looms over the landscape. The headquarters of the devil generals of the blood war are here in addition to dungeons containing captured demons and souls waiting to be judged. There is also an infernal marketplace where souls can be bought and sold.

Third Layer: Minauros

Ruler: Duke Caasimolar

-Great chains hold up an infernal senate building surrounded by courthouses which decide the fate of damned souls. Beneath the suspended structures is a stagnant, brackish sea of filth and dirt which souls of evil politicians are condemned to.

Fourth Layer: Phlegethos

Ruler: Duchess Fierna

-Fiery lakes of boiling blood flow through the landscape which is dominated by stone buildings crafted in the image of sexual organs. This layer is home to hell's twisted pleasure houses. Souls who used their lust to persecute others are immersed in the burning lake, their wicked passions literally burning within them.

Fifth Layer: Stygia

Ruler: Duke Levistus, Duchess Eisheth

-Oceans of tears flow through this circle, whipped by howling winds which carry the mourning cries of those who inflicted misery on others due to their own despair. Great salt palaces are home to Levistus and Eisheth.

Sixth Layer: Malbolge

Ruler: Duke Moloch

-The terrain of this circle is a rocky plateau dominated by jagged,mountains. It is plagued by constant falling meteors, earthquakes, and rockslides. Moloch's fortress is built to withstand and catch the falling rocks and catapault them towards souls below scrambling for cover. Those who used violence and intimidation to acquire power now find themselves powerless and tormented.

Seventh Layer: Maladomini

Ruler: Duke Baazlebul

-The ground of this circle is made up of vast plains of excrement from which rotten fruit grows ,and upon which urin rains. This is the punishment for the gluttonous who left others starving and deprived. Ravenous devils hunt these souls and devour them only for them to rise from their excrement and suffer again.

Above this filth loom beautiful palaces of gold, jewels, platinum, and other precious metals. Those who used their wealth to persecute others are boiled alive in vats of molten metal used to create an immense treasure hoard.

Eighth Layer: Cania

Ruler: Mephistopheles

-This circle is a vast subzero wasteland of blizzards and glaciers. The souls of traitors freeze here eternally.

Ninth Layer: Nessus

Ruler: King Lucifer, Queen Naamah, Prince Abaddon

-This circle appears to be a lush garden of delights more beautiful than anything imaginable but appearances can be deceiving. It is filled with brilliant light which becomes blinding and stings the eyes. The fruit of the trees bring a drug-like euphoria and taste better than any other food. However, it is addictive, causes horrible withdrawl if not eaten, and makes all other food seem bland and flavorless. The garden is filled with the sound of strangely beautiful infernal hymns sung by Lucifer's former Black Popes now risen as Scourge Cardinals. However, these hyms are repetitive and so regimented and perfect in execution that they lack any free spirit to them. The souls of Lucifer's most loyal followers earn this supposed paradise.

Hovannes
2013-10-22, 11:32 AM
I’m loving this stuff. ‘Dark Pope’ works for me, and I run many games set in the Nine Hells. Currently the PCs, one of which is a half-devil son of Mephistopheles, entered hell’s military service. I think I will barrow the Dark Pope idea with a few modifications, Asmedeus runs the Nine Hells in my games – at least currently.

Do you have any personalized (non cannon) references on the Nine Hells? I have done exhaustive research in this area from a role-playing perspective and am always looking for more.

Anyway, if you looking for a different view of the Nine Hells (https://sites.google.com/site/pointsystemgaming/psg-core-rules/the-nine-hells), check out my website. I have a complete section designed for GMs running games in that setting – it may be helpful.

Fortinbro
2013-10-22, 12:31 PM
I’m loving this stuff. ‘Dark Pope’ works for me, and I run many games set in the Nine Hells. Currently the PCs, one of which is a half-devil son of Mephistopheles, entered hell’s military service. I think I will barrow the Dark Pope idea with a few modifications, Asmedeus runs the Nine Hells in my games – at least currently.

Do you have any personalized (non cannon) references on the Nine Hells? I have done exhaustive research in this area from a role-playing perspective and am always looking for more.

Anyway, if you looking for a different view of the Nine Hells (https://sites.google.com/site/pointsystemgaming/psg-core-rules/the-nine-hells), check out my website. I have a complete section designed for GMs running games in that setting – it may be helpful.

What do you mean by personalized references?

Debihuman
2013-10-22, 02:43 PM
It looks like Jumps should be +35 not 40 (it also gains a +2 synergy bonus from tumble).

Debby

Fortinbro
2013-10-22, 05:25 PM
It looks like Jumps should be +35 not 40 (it also gains a +2 synergy bonus from tumble).

Debby

Fixed the jump too.