PDA

View Full Version : Best Wizard Buffs

Jalil
2007-01-03, 05:55 PM
Ok, so i already have Forsight and moment of prescience precast, and fly and greater invis are my first two picks. What are the next best buffs?

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-03, 05:56 PM
Forget fly, use Overland Flight, it lasts all day. Also use Phantom Steed, 240' Fly speed; Overland Flight is the backup in case it dies.

Keep a Mind Blank on your fighter.

What sources do you use? Core only?

Jalil
2007-01-03, 06:00 PM
Any, but all i have are:
Complete, except mage, races of wild and destiny, LM, BoED, Dracomnicon, and PHBII

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-03, 06:04 PM
Anticipate Teleport (or maybe even Greater Anticipate Teleport) from Complete Arcane is a must-have.

Luminous Armor or Greater Luminous Armor from BoED, is great if the target is Good; have the cleric keep a Lesser Restoration handy to heal the sacrifice cost (1d2 or 1d3 STR damage). It might be better than the armor of lightly-armored types (such as yourself).

Familiar Pocket keeps your familiar safe, if you have one.
Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability is ridiculously good, since it's like Quickening six spells for the price of one sixth-level slot.

Energy Immunity can be worth it.

Keep a Greater Blink ready, it's one of the best defensive spells out there.

Keep a Repulsion ready, too.

Ramza00
2007-01-03, 06:05 PM
These are buffs for the wizard.

And not buffs the wizard are putting on other people, correct?

Jalil
2007-01-03, 06:17 PM
You are correct sir.

krossbow
2007-01-03, 06:18 PM
A meta-magicpersistent spell to alter yourself can be very useful. Gives you natural armor to make sure that, even if your fighter screws up and lets an enemy to you, your not immidiatley going to get him. Plus permanent flight (cherubdim elves, ect.) can be even more useful.

axraelshelm
2007-01-03, 06:19 PM
combat or non combat?
i suggest tenser transformation sweet spell or from the complete mage unyeilding form of inevitable death lets you become a scaled down Marut.
Defence is a must have i life to have a mirror image, sheild, haste combo ready just in case.

Jalil
2007-01-03, 06:21 PM
Ah, but whats the point of having a mirror if you're invisible, eh?

axraelshelm
2007-01-03, 06:29 PM
well cast mirror on youself then cast greater invisibilty they will have to pick the wrong one

Shadowdweller
2007-01-03, 06:35 PM
Dragonsight from the Spell Compendium is a pretty good one: Long-distance Darkvision and Blindsense that lasts all day.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-03, 06:36 PM
Voice of the Dragon is 10 minutes/level and gives +10 Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate. Plus it can be used as a Suggestion.

Raum
2007-01-03, 06:49 PM
The Heart of <insert element> spells from PHB2 are good. Particularly Earth and Water. Of course the best wizard buff is probably Contingency.

ken-do-nim
2007-01-03, 06:56 PM
Forget fly, use Overland Flight, it lasts all day. Also use Phantom Steed, 240' Fly speed; Overland Flight is the backup in case it dies.

Keep a Mind Blank on your fighter.

What sources do you use? Core only?

Bears and I differ on overland flight. Overland flight is great, for sure, but it doesn't let you hover. Fly does. There are situations when you don't want to have to keep moving or land. You can of course combine levitate with overland flight for hovering when you need to.

Greater heroism is an outstanding buff: +4 to attacks, saves, skill checks, immunity to fear, and temporary hit points.

I don't think anyone's mentioned spell turning or false life either. When you fight other wizards, they like to power word stun you. Spell turning may stun them back, and false life may put you over the 150 hp limit (um, I think temp hit points count for that).

Temporary hit points from different sources stack (false life + greater heroism + vampiric touch, if you can work in an easy kill)