PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How to protect an object in a room and the reverse.

Svm420
2013-10-21, 01:34 PM
I have an object within a room with a hardness of 10 hp of 1000. It's 3' in diameter. How would you protect this room from a 17th level caster. You are also a 17th level caster. Assume you, who wants to protect the item, must be able to access the item safely in case to protect it or just interact with the item. Please keep optimization reasonable.

Then the reverse how would you foil any attempt to protect the item and overcome any traps you think would be reasonable for a 17th level caster to prepare. Then finally what would you do to destroy the object as fast as possible. You can have a party of 4 including yourself. Again you are a 17th level caster. Please keep optimization reasonable.

Thanks in advance for the reply!

Spore
2013-10-21, 01:40 PM
Caster with or without level 9 spells?

Hamste
2013-10-21, 01:52 PM
I don't have the time to comment on the other stuff but to destroy the object just use disintegrate (probably putting the thing in an anti-magic field and shooting into it). It shouldn't take to long for it to fail it's saving roll assuming it gets one.

Svm420
2013-10-21, 02:59 PM
Caster with or without level 9 spells?

With ninth level assume 17th level caster with WBL and all applicable bonuses

Barstro
2013-10-21, 03:23 PM
I have an object within a room with a hardness of 10 hp of 1000. It's 3' in diameter. How would you protect this room from a 17th level caster. You are also a 17th level caster. Assume you, who wants to protect the item, must be able to access the item safely in case to protect it or just interact with the item. Please keep optimization reasonable.

Protect it by having it not be a target. Do everything you can to have a different object appear to the be one in question, but keep the real object somewhere else. Even the same room on a different shelf can make the attacker waste a spell to find out.

aeauseth
2013-10-21, 03:32 PM
You could protect it from most spells by encompassing it in a box of 6 portals. Each box face connects to a different box face, so that as you reach in the front you can touch the object from the back, etc. Rule that the portals allow line of sight, but not line of effect. I think that would resolve spell use on the item (maybe, would have to brain strom some more to make sure).

The portal concept would allow anyone to simply reach in to grab and remove the item.