PDA

View Full Version : Taking down a Phane

pwykersotz
2013-10-21, 01:40 PM
I'm trying to brainstorm ideas for taking down a Phane, as I am likely to fight one in my next game. The fun twist is that the Phane also has 21 levels of Monk, and that includes Infinite Deflection and Exceptional Deflection.

I'm a ML 24 StP Erudite with a 107 Int Score (Boosted with epic items and epic powers). The main ideas I have so far are:
Ghost Trap
Antimagic Field
AoE Force Damage

Researching a custom Epic spell isn't an option unless it can be done within a couple days, and shenanigans to reduce Psicraft to near 0 are discouraged.

Does anyone have ideas?

Nettlekid
2013-10-21, 02:04 PM
Ask your DM exactly how Body Outside Body works. It states that you lose spellcasting, but says nothing about SLAs. Psionics is technically an SLA. As such, you should be able to create an army of clones of your same ML 24 self which can wreak havoc on the Phane. But quite frankly, you're a high level Psion. You can break the action economy over your knee. Use augmented Temporal Accelerations to refuel your PP with Mental Pinnacle and restore your Psionic Foci, using Linked Twinned Synchronicities (I suggest using Psicrystal Containment and Epic Psionic Focus to make those Metapsionics go farther) to buff up your action economy for when time starts again, use all but one of your many standard actions to flick the Phane to death with Magic Missile, and then reinstate Temporal Acceleration when you need more time.

Really, focus on the important aspects of this equation. You're an ML 24 StP Erudite with a 107 Int and Epic Powers fighting an Epic Monster with 21 levels in Monk.

You are a StP Erudite fighting a Monk.

YOU ARE FIGHTING A MONK.

Win.

Flickerdart
2013-10-21, 02:06 PM
Ask your DM exactly how Body Outside Body works. It states that you lose spellcasting, but says nothing about SLAs.
Sadly, spells are subject to transparency, meaning that psionics get treated the same way as magic for their effects.

Aharon
2013-10-21, 02:12 PM
Does the phane know you are coming for it? Does it know about your party composition? Are you fighting it alone?
=> Summon Past Time Duplicate is likely its most dangerous ability, the better your character is optimized, the worse the fight will be for you - essentially, it's a match against yourself supported by an epic level critter.

pwykersotz
2013-10-21, 02:19 PM
Nettlekid: I have very few things I won't do in a game, but one of them is infinite action economy. It's not fun for me. As far as the basics like Temporal Acceleration, that has no effect on the Phane as my GM has it function as Time Stop and the Phane has Spell Stowaway for it.

Aharon: It does know I'm coming for it, and worse, it's a GM special monster. It has the added ability of (at its option) copying the class levels and feats of any creature it touches. It got its hand on my party member, and thus, 21 level Monk. The only other backup I have is an NPC who has very little power and an unspecified level. And yes, I am fairly highly optimized.

In general, I'm looking for specific tricks, and less "auto-win because you're a StP Erudite". My GM is clever with his tricks, and while I have quite a few, I figure a good brainstorm for backups never hurts.

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-21, 02:35 PM
Sadly, spells are subject to transparency, meaning that psionics get treated the same way as magic for their effects.

Go read what transparency actually does. It is almost always massively over played.

Flickerdart
2013-10-21, 02:49 PM
Go read what transparency actually does. It is almost always massively over played.
"Though not explicitly called out in the spell descriptions or magic item descriptions, spells, spell-like abilities, and magic items that could potentially affect psionics do affect psionics."