PDA

View Full Version : The first 3.X/PF character you played.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-21, 04:17 PM
What is the first character that you played in 3.5/PF? How proud of/embarrassed of that character's backstory, personality, optimization are you, if you remember any of it? Are there any stories of how you played the character/or expected the rules to work that you laugh at now?

I don't consider myself new to 3.X games, but I would like to think that I have greatly improved in how I build characters and play the game in general. The first character 3.5 I played was a fighter.

Here are the highlights:
- I put all my ability score increases into wisdom, and all my ranks into spot.
- I had mithral fullplate of speed, but never actually used the item's magical abilities
- Sword and Board fighting style, but not twf.
- Tried to play the role of party leader, when there was a bard in the group
- Took the Iron Will and Lightening Reflexes feats

In my defense it was a core only game. Mostly because I didn't think magic was worth dealing with the complications for a tool that obviously would be equal to anything a martial character could do, but still core only.

Glimbur
2013-10-21, 04:22 PM
Gnome bard. I have no regrets.

Granted, he eventually got into Sublime Chord.

Psyren
2013-10-21, 04:32 PM
3.5: Monk - and thanks to NWN's pile of magic items, I grossly overestimated how useful they would actually be in a real game.

PF: Invulnerable Rager Barbarian. Now that guy was fun!

The Viscount
2013-10-21, 04:39 PM
I made a human Dread Necromancer, and took the advice of HoH and actually had a 15 str for all my touch attacks, and put points into Dex for AC. I fortunately did have the sense to take Tomb Tainted Soul.

Subaru Kujo
2013-10-21, 04:42 PM
Human Fighter of St. Cuthbert by the name of Neimi. Specialized in archery, though she had a six foot long greatsword on her back by the end of the campaign.

Fairly well optimized (could hold her own against the rest of the melee/ranged), and was I think one of my best characters.

ArcturusV
2013-10-21, 04:48 PM
First third edition character? It was a Lawful Good Cleric. I don't remember TOO much about it, because the campaign folded after a single session. Why is the sort of stuff that becomes a basic DnD lesson for a group. This guy was kind of the DM's real life butt buddy, and the plot revolved around his character, the bad guys were supposed to tie into him, he was going to get all these special things, etc. He was Mary Sue and we were the back ups.

Which. Eh. That sucks, but whatever.

First adventure features reaching this monster lair inside the town well's water supply. The Mary Sue decides that we should take the direct route of jumping down the well and swimming until we find this monster lair. I am instantly filled with dread as I remember a basic lesson of DnD and looking around at my fellow players see it's about to come into play.

... I was the only one with Swim as a skill, cross class, yes. But I put ranks in it by god, because THIS sort of thing happens.

... party goes for it. I'm the only one who makes it. My effectively naked cleric armorless, using a staff, holy symbol, and not much else on him as I stripped down to make sure that with my 2 ranks and relatively above average strength I was going to make it. He would have been a Contemplative Cleric in concept/class if I had known about the class or if that book was out yet, can't remember if it was. More magic man, holy man, and scholar than beatstick beast.

The rogue made it by luck.

... everyone else both A) Forgot to take off their armor. B) Didn't have any ranks in Swim. C) Drown to death.

Shortest, campaign, ever. Seriously we scrapped it after about 45 minutes of play.

Ortesk
2013-10-21, 05:14 PM
Half Orc LG Fighter. Never power attacked once even though he had the full line of PA feats, Never charged and never prestiged. Played fighter 1-20 as pure Greatsword wielder, Luckily began play with two 18's so he had a very nice con/strength. He used a +4 Speed Bane Undead Shocking Flaming sword, and had Mithril Breastplate with Heavy Fort. He was a vamp hunter, and had the libris mortis feats because DM game us them for free. He i think did 4d6+32 damage a swing, since then ive made guys who would kill him 10x over in one shot. But he was my favorite character and first to have played whole way no death. And, he was fairly impressive in a very Low Op group (His back up fighter was a mindblade so even a fighter loked good)

IronFist
2013-10-21, 06:19 PM
3.0: Human Fighter with a bastard sword. That game was specially deadly - we suffered a TPK trying to cross a bridge.

3.5: Human Rogue. Did some multiclassing (I think I had some levels of either Ranger or Fighter) then into Knight of the Inner Circle (3.0 prc, from Defenders of the Faith). Quite liked that character.

PF: Tiefling Inquisitor. Btw, I only gave PF a chance because I loved this character so much.

SimonMoon6
2013-10-21, 06:21 PM
Technically, my first 3.0 character was a rogue/sorcerer (pre-Arcane Trickster) who was specializing in charisma skills. And the DM was running a 1st edition module modified by hand... the type of module that was "kill everything you see" and "we don't need no stinkin' rules" type of thing.

That was pretty much a disaster. But I remember one cute bit: the module split up the PCs and had us each fight an exact copy of ourselves, who would take exactly the same actions we took against it. I tried just hiding in shadows, but apparently that wasn't acceptable. :smallannoyed: So, I cast haste. The badguy cast haste. I cast magic missile at him and then cast shield. So the badguy cast magic missile (absorbed harmlessly by my shield) and then cast shield. Ha ha, I was up one spell on him! :smallbiggrin: But then the battle continued and thanks to bad luck, the badguy won. :smallannoyed:

But that game only lasted about two or three sessions after I joined, so I don't really count him.

My first lasting 3.0 character (who I started at 1st level unlike the previous character) ended as:

1st level monk/5th level wizard/10th level incantatrix/2nd level harper-mage/1st level loremaster/1st level archmage.

And I had used a wish to change from being a human to being a smoke para-elemental genasi or something (from Dragon magazine; it's a +1 LA race which was an outsider race (so I could polymorph into an outsider) which also had the right favored class of wizard, I think). His final AC at the end was 66 (including temporary random-variable spells but not including the +4 for haste).

Renegade Paladin
2013-10-21, 06:29 PM
A neutral good dwarf fighter, in the early days of 3.0e. Due to crazy lucky stat rolls I had 18 in Strength and Constitution. Fought dwarven waraxe and shield. The DM was crazy stingy about magic items; by campaign end (level 9) I had a +1 shield, a ring of protection, and a helm of opposite alignment (because he was an ass about having it pointed out that we got basically no gear :smalltongue:). Highlights include the party's rogue trying to Bluff me into doing something suicidally dumb (I think it involved lewd things with some syphilis-carrying mermaids we'd run into) but running into my natural 20 Sense Motive roll. Hilarity ensued. :smallamused:

Scumbaggery
2013-10-21, 08:13 PM
3.5: Human fighter/barbarian. Was pretty generic, "I power attack with my greatsword' kinda jazz. Things got really interesting whenever he contracted Lycanthropy (werewolf) and we found Wilding Clasps (DM voted they should work.)

I had good times with that guy, actually. The DM was pretty funny, and one of the things he gave us was a +5 Studded Leather with whatever enhancements we wanted on it. The catch? It looked like a gimp suit, complete with a ballgag.

I wore it anyway. He gave me wilding clasps for it too.

Da'Shain
2013-10-21, 08:27 PM
I can't remember if this was my first character ever or simply the first I made that actually played through a whole campaign ... but that would be the subject of my Avatar over there <---, a Rakshasa Ur-Priest/Mystic Theurge/Abjurant Champion who was roped into helping a group of crazed interplanar lunatics (read: evil epic party) with the promise of artifacts that would help his quest for godhood.

I was so proud of that guy. Especially that he failed the initial tests the party gave him (piercing the Drow character's spell resistance, dispelling the Sorceror's evocations, etc.) because I didn't tell them exactly how he was built. So when, in the second session, they were essentially using me as a Taxi service and had me teleport them straight into an epic level wizard's tower because they were overconfident ... they were hit by three Delayed Blast Fireballs and somewhat close to death, only to see me hit them all with a quickened Mass Heal before my Twin-Rayed Enervations hit the wizard in the face.

They were a bit more respectful after that.

Callin
2013-10-21, 08:49 PM
Dwarf Cleric who used a Musket/Axe Hybrid. Was the only way I was able to get into the game/group. Killed him off many times but the group kept resurrecting him in whatever way they could.

I hated him so much. Yet I loved that game.

Here it is 12 or so years later and I still play with the same group of guys.

AzureKnight
2013-10-21, 11:24 PM
AD&D 2nd edition: Chaotic evil fighter whom at level 10 thought it funny to kick an old man down a well. The old man was to find out a key npc to get us into the starting area of undermountain. The party met that night and decided to bind my 320 pound human wearing full plate armor, tie a noose from his neck and drop him down that same well with all his gear. The weight of it all ripped his head from his shoulers and also showed the other players how to enter undermountain.

3.0, 3.5 human barbarian in Ravenloft suffered from nightmares which made him awake in a rage. The party later found a magic stuffed teddy bear which was enchanted to protect the bearer from all bad dreams and nightmare effects. He became so attached to the bear he walked about with it tucked beneith his belt where he absently stroked its furry little head.

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-10-21, 11:27 PM
My first 3.5 game was also my first D&D game. We started at level 1, and I played a Chaotic Neutral (although in retrospect I played more Chaotic Good-ish) human fighter with a greatsword and scale mail, named Orion. I think I had feats like Power Attack, Weapon Focus, and Combat Reflexes. I remember rolling really well for stats- I had like a 16 in both Dex and Con, a 17 Str, and none of my mental stats were below a 12. He died at level 4 as a direct result of me accidentally (I swear it was an accident! Mostly) looking at the DM's notes. My consolation was that the rest of the party died in a boss fight TPK shortly thereafter. We were all pretty new to the game.

Story
2013-10-21, 11:37 PM
My first 3.5 character? Necropolitan Fire Elf Domain Generalist Wizard. My only real gripe optimization wise is that Cloudy Conjuration turned out to be a lot less effective then I expected.

My first ever D&D character was a 4e Druid. He was reasonably optimized too, but it didn't end up making much difference since the DM knew less about the rules then I did (as a first time player!!!) and the group quickly collapsed.

Devronq
2013-10-21, 11:59 PM
My first 3.x character was a LG Elven wizard. His original name was Lillend (i open the mm to a random page and named him after the monster the page opened on)) but it was later changed changed to Devron (based off a wizard from Baldurs Gate 1 with a similar name. He very high starting scores something like 18,18,16,16something something and his con and int was very high. He always ended up accidently destroying towns or atleast failing to stop the monsters from detroying the town before he defeated them. He loved wall of force i ended up turtling to win lots of fights.

erok0809
2013-10-22, 12:06 AM
I'm still in my first campaign, with my human Sorcerer Soren. At first he was very blasting focused, all fire and electricity, spell focus (evocation), the works. I even wrote up a custom prestige class for it, which I really liked, and am still going to eventually use. Then I got to the boards (at like level 6, so he hadn't developed much yet) and now he's a miniature god wizard, or at least will be. Going Sand Shaper at level 11, he still has lots of damage spells, and some "sub par" choices (spell focus is still there), but he's a lot better than he was, while still keeping his personality intact; a little psychopathic, very happy to burn things until they no longer exist when it suits his needs. The setting of our campaign is that he's the first humanoid arcane caster, and so there's no magic items, and the people that know him see him as a demon in human form. The enemy army (Tenochans from OA) call me the Oni. He's perfectly okay with that, because he revels in it a bit, actually. It's a lot of fun to play, and he's still only level 6. I can't wait until he can teleport and baleful polymorph, which is going to be so fun to do to people. I love this character

Alefiend
2013-10-22, 12:11 AM
I think the first 3e character I played was Tobias, a halfling wizard with a gift for itemcraft and a longing to uncover his roots. He was probably the second-best roleplayed fantasy character I've had. It was not a terribly high-op group, and I managed to be pretty effective mechanically.

Pathfinder's a little harder to pin down, since I think my current group switched over mid-campaign. If I remember correctly, it was Tarrant, a human sorcerer (Stormborn bloodline) with some weird prophecy/curse stuff making him mentally unstable—and too hard for me to RP effectively, so I'm glad that campaign collapsed. He would have been fairly powerful once the right spells came online, especially since it was a seafaring game, but only made it to level 4 before the end.

Yawgmoth
2013-10-22, 12:17 AM
Half black dragon sorcerer. Even in our roleplaying infancy we knew that LA values were inflated, so I got it for free as long as I traded in my human benefits. So I was kind of going for a necromancer/gish type build. I later picked up a couple cleric levels and went True Necromancer (because dread necromancer was still a scrawl on someone's napkin). Unfortunately, the game he was in fell apart because of graduating high school. Double unfortunately, I decided to transcribe the character to the internet and start roleplaying on gaiaonline. He quickly went from a sorc 4/clr 3/TN 4 to sorc 4/clr 3/TN 14/theurge 10 with divine rank 10, and if I were to put half of what went on in that game half as wild in a character's backstory, I'd get kicked in the head for making such an obvious mary sue. And I'd deserve it.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-10-22, 01:17 AM
Human wizard focusing on illusion and enchantment spells; Generalist, as I was afraid I'd miss my banned schools too much. In terms of RP she was embarassingly generic: "She's a... wizard girl? With silk robes, dorky glasses, and likes reading books?"

TuggyNE
2013-10-22, 03:32 AM
Jezlamian was a Halfling Ranger 2. With a crossbow. And some MTP'd traps. :smallsigh:
No, that's not him in my avatar.
In my defense, that was also my first D&D game, and I didn't have a ton of time to peruse the feats and class features to see exactly what worked and what didn't. In my further defense, it was maybe the 8th or 10th session of the first campaign anyone else had played in either (I joined after a whole level of monster-fighting shenanigans had gone past), so it's not like roleplay or mechanical effectiveness were in great supply at the table.

But hey, soda and pretzels play, amirite?

Spore
2013-10-22, 04:09 AM
D&D: I guess my first character that counts was a dwarven fighter1/cleric 6 of Moradin in Faerun. He was part of a two sessions single adventure where I eventually killed an innocent commoner and had to atone. If anything I learned that clerics make great characters for single runs with lots of undead.

PF: Rogue. His plot hook was that he had stolen an insanely powerful and ancient scroll from the local thieves guild by luck and had to flee to the desert outpost of his kingdom to cover his tracks. He needed money so he sold his artifact to a pawn shop. Owned by a mage. Needless to say it was quite hard to get the scroll back. Sadly I ran the character into the ground by tweaking it too much for a niche he will never be effective in.

Corlindale
2013-10-22, 05:09 AM
I played a sorceror focusing on Illusion magic.

First dungeon: Nothing but undead and constructs. Suffice to say, I didn't feel all that useful... (though I did manage to stun almost the entire party - and NOT the enemy - with a color spray on the way to said dungeon).

Campaign folded shortly afterwards, but at least it taught me a lesson about the importance of spell versatility:smallsmile:

HolyCouncilMagi
2013-10-22, 09:08 AM
3.5: First system I played, so I felt it appropriate to put this first. My first character was played when I had very little knowledge of rules and NO knowledge of optimization; thus, he was a sword-and-board Paladin who eventually took a homebrewed feat for casting arcane spells in armor, took a few levels in Sorcerer, and gished it out with Eldritch Knight. It was as bad as it sounds; my spells were outclassed by the wizard, my meatshielding was no better than the light-armored greatsword Barbarian, and my damage output was pretty useless against the two-weapon sneaking Rogue. I did, however, have a niche as the LG that you can throw into honourable duels to make your party look good... And thankfully there was no Bard, so I could lead/socialize!

3.0: I only got into 3.0 for a while after having already used some homebrewed 3.0 material in 3.5 games, so there wasn't a whole lot to get used to. I ended up being a Mage, or really a wizard who called himself a Mage because he element-tricked all over the place. 'Twas fun while it lasted.

PF: Have only played one campaign of PF because I didn't like it that much, but I played a half-devil Cleric who focused on buffing the party and blasting. He probably could've solo'd it more easily without the party, but eh

BWR
2013-10-22, 09:33 AM
Half-orc barbarian just after 3.0 was released, for some introductory adventure. Can't remember much about him because it only lasted one session. I remember he was pretty stupid, and I think I took Power Attack.

If we are going to have PF as a seperate post, I'm running a PF Fighter with 3.5 feats in a 3.5 (heavily house-ruled) game. He's pretty crappily built mostly because I don't really give a **** about optimizing, they just fit the character. PA, Cleave, Dodge (PF version), Shield Specialization, Improved Sunder, Weapon Focus + Specialization (heavy pick).
The most important thing is he's fun to play. He has Intelligence and Charisma 7, so I play him about as bright and charismatic, racist and small-minded as certain absurd politicians I hear about from another country. I called him Bonehead, clone character brother of Stonehead (the setting has [Descriptor+Noun] naming conventions). There are plenty of jokes about his lack of intelligence and likeableness, as well many really, really bad jokes about his pick: in Norwegian, 'pikk', pronounced almost identically, is slang for penis, and we use mostly English gaming terms.

JBarca
2013-10-22, 11:58 AM
My first was a 3.5 Paladin of Heironeous. I had Quick Draw and Weapon Focus: Longsword as my two First Level feats (yep, sword and board). We rolled stats, and my equivalent pointbuy was 15. Very low power, low-op campaign. After a few levels (6th, I believe), he fell and went on a murderous rampage (of apparently evil creatures), and has, since, been taking levels in Barbarian. Still my favorite character of all time.
This party was made up of new players entirely, so we also had a half-elf Monk (yes, really), a half-orc Bard, and a Dwarf Wizard.
Fantastic storyline and RP, though, so it will always be one of my favorite campaigns, I'm fairly certain.

Blackjackg
2013-10-22, 12:06 PM
I had years of experience in 1e and 2e before I ever got on board with 3.5, so I have no qualms about backstorying or personality or anything like that. My first 3.5 character was a cleric of Fharlanghn. Wasn't especially optimized-- did ranged combat instead of melee, and I burned both my first level feats on options that were more flavorful than powerful (Lightning Reflexes and Jack of All Trades)-- but he still came out very usable and I had a lot of fun playing him, so I woudn't say I'm embarassed at all.

koboldish
2013-10-22, 03:50 PM
I played a halfling rogue 1. I took quick draw. Had some nice skillmonkey moments, but never did much in combat.

Also, had a really great backstory: Had been in the same dungeon 1 minute before. That's all I wrote. :3

Feint's End
2013-10-22, 05:28 PM
The very first game was a oneshot where nobody of us understood the rules and I played a ranger. First things that happens? I decide to test how free the world actually is and wandered 15 miles randomely of the road till I encountered my brother (who was the other player) ... needless to say I immediately shot at him.

My first real character was a Drow Rogue (I convinced my dm to allow me to play one when I reduce the stats) ... took TWF and Weaponfinesse as my 1st and 3rd level feats as usual. It was pretty hilarious though since we were a 2 man party and I had 20 dex while having 11 con ... my hp at level 3 were around 13 (decent rolls actually) while my comrades (Who played a barbarian) were at around 40+ because he rolled ridiculously good. Needless to say I went down pretty much the whole time.
Personalitywise he was pretty much the CN (chaotic stupid) ******* you'd expect. Everywhere he went he insisted on drinking wine because "beer is for peasants" ... in the end I got it so far that I pissed a human thief (and my dm who created the char) off who was supposed to help me when I invaded a >insert goblinlike creature< village .... rolled a 1 on my move silently check and got captured. They tortured me and locked me in a tower. That was pretty much the end of the campaign for some reason.
I really loved to play it though since we had some great sessions (including the best horrorsession I've ever encountered ... featuring a cat who appeared at the most tense moment).

Ya ... those where good times good times

Firechanter
2013-10-22, 06:29 PM
That would have been 3.0, back in 2000, when nobody knew anything about the game, and the system was considered a miracle of balance.
My first character was a Half-Elf Ranger, fighting with a Bastard Sword. I remember I picked Combat Reflexes, because the name of the feat sounded so cool. Hell yeah I have _combat_ reflexes! It wasn't until much later that we realized the feat only really makes sense when you have Reach.

I'm not sure anymore what my first 3.5 character ever was, but the first that I played over a longer campaign was a Cleric of Lathander; started out all ordinary (I even took nonsense feats like Improved Overrun, but was allowed to retrain), then became a Radiant Servant, and ultimately a DMM Persister.

I started my first PF game just recently, with a Cleric of Erastil, in a terribly slow-paced low-op group, so we'll see how long I'll stick.

Helcack
2013-10-22, 08:48 PM
Lesser Drow Druid/Wizard and I had rolled three 18's and three 16's(got lucky) so stats were str 16 dex 20 con 14 int 18 wis 18 cha 16. Backstory was he was chaotic evil, then brainwashed by gnomes to follow their every order and was changed to becoming chaotic good. His tactic when seeing something he didn't understand was casting create water to make things slippery, then standing back and blasting at it with any other spells he had. I played him as a crazy protector, but he was horribly unoptimized... We stopped playing when he was a Wizard 1 Druid 6.

Hikarizu
2013-10-23, 05:14 AM
Me and a friend joined an ongoing group. We were both followers of Boccob in search of some forgotten library that was recently excavated. I was TN Human Cleric summoner, my friend was CN Human Wizard generalist(he was reading the batman guide by my recommendation). The other party was consisted of elves and half-elves, a druid, a sorcerer, a ranger and NPC Fighter/Rogue(we were all lvl 3 when we joined) that was trying to fulfill a prophecy of stopping a black dragon who ravages the countryside every 500 years by finding the only weapon that could slay him. They went with us to the library in search for more information and we decided to stay with them after that and help with their cause. We got transported to the wild west finding a part of the weapon hidden there,(I say weapon, because we had found conflicting sources stating that the weapon is a sword, an axe and I forgot what the third was) traveled to the dwarven kingdom for more information and, tasked by the elven king(some of the elves were from noble families), escorting a diplomat there. The rogue NPC was impersonating the diplomat and had the unlucky fate to share a race with him, because he was slain by an arrow of Elven Slaying. The dwarven king shared his fate shortly after we arrived and the blame was put to us. Managing to escape the night before our execution through some catacombs. The ranger's player was growing bored of the game and challenged one of a pair of minotaurs that was living there(we were lvl 5 at that time). Rapid shot, attack rolls 20,20, confirmation rolls 19,18, damage rolls 8 and 7 = 60 dmg versus 40ish HP. After 5 rounds the whole party somehow managed to finish the second minotaur before he killed the ranger(he barely survived the charge). He left the group shortly after and only primary casters were left. My crowning moment was when a gelatinous cube was made a short work by three raging badgers from the inside out before he could reach the party. Sadly the group was disbanded after 6-7 sessions just before we could reach lvl 7 due to exams.

DruidAlanon
2013-10-23, 05:58 AM
Human Monk, "Hwarang Seigen", while I was 14. A badass monk (chef profession) with almost 90 points in ability scores at lvl 1. (the homerule was 7+ 2d6, reroll the lower score once and I cheated for 2x 12 at least- backgammon is our hobby here )

He was more tanky than our fighter and with slight lower attack bonus and damage. I can still remember I had something like 19 strength/dex, 17 con. My luck with this guy was extraordinary. A d20 roll<15 would be a failure.
For a 3.0 core, with relatively no experience, he was a truly great mobile, anti-mage melee. (with a party of 1 bard, 1 paladin, 1 sorcerer 1 ranger and 1 rogue)

My history was a 15 pages .doc (heh, very strong RP). The whole concept was that some githzerai (my monk didn't know the race so he made various assumptions) destroyed the monastery and I was the only monk who survived. Apparently, 3 more monks had survived, one psycho with 1 arm, 1 blind grappler and the grandmaster (an epic 20 monk/1 fighter--> to use katana).

The martial art was originated from an ancient war between extraplanar creatures and was called "wharang-do" (yes, very much like the ancient korean art). In practice it was like kyokushin karate or muay thai. There were 9 grand masters who came to material plane and transformed and altered the original art to fit in this plane and they were considered the ancestors of the monastery. The story was incomplete but, it seemed that some psionist monks from outer planes hunted my monastery and its forbidden knowledge since some ancient pappers with forbidden techniques would provide great strength. The story was quite good and DM used it a lot to add plot and depth in the main story.

Things started to become complicated when my monk got drunk (it was the 1st time he drank alcohol, level 15 or 16, cheated by our gnome sorcerer) and accidentally he killed a commoner in a conflict (1 critical hit for a bunch of dmg). Next day he couldn't recall what have happened but eventually he learned, so I killed the sorcerer for this disgrace with a quivering palm. Sorc's player almost beat me for that.

Kennisiou
2013-10-24, 10:47 AM
3.0. I was 11 years old. My friends were all 10-13 when one of us picked up the core 3.0 manuals and we decided to roll up some characters. We had no idea what we were doing. I used the rules for "apprentice" classes in the DM's guide to start out at level one as a multiclass wizard/fighter. I took weapon focus: sickle because I thought it would be cool. He worshipped St. Cuthbert because that was a neutral deity in the PHB whose name sounded cool. My character's name was my name, but with some of the vowels replaced with other vowels (even at ten years old, this drew nothing but ire from the rest of the playgroup. Don't do obvious player insert characters, guys). Eventually I focused on two weapon fighting and all of my spells were damage spells to let me hit things at a range except for mage armor, which to give myself credit at least I recognized that mage armor was awesome. Eventually I became the group's DM and the character evolved into an awful, horrible, deus ex machina DM machine.

He was the son of a large merchant family but his father died when the evil king of the nation burned his home down. He left swearing revenge but it turns out that his dad was actually the king all along and the merchant alter life was a cover that he no longer had use for and he'd been training his son to be evil and take over the evil kingdom the whole time! Because I don't know, convoluted backstories are better I guess? Anyways, he also eventually had a name change from my name but with different vowels to "Draidge."

Later in a 3.5 campaign I revisited the character concept. Made him a hexblade to fit the caster/fighter theme, made him an exiled minor noble who was LN to a fault seeking to avenge his father killed at the hands of revolutionaries in a war in which his family chose to stay neutral (which eventually destroyed them) and to take back his birthright. Played up the St. Cuthbert angle a lot more and was really happy with the character that resulted. Kind of sad that the campaign I made him for didn't last past the first five sessions.

Marlowe
2013-10-24, 11:39 AM
About 13 years ago.

Ivy Harkonnen-NE Human Wizard (no specialty school)
Aka "Creeping Ivy"
Str-9
Dex-13
Con-12
Int-15
Wis and Chr-11 or 10 (can't remember)

Bastard daughter (among many) of a local criminal magnate known as "Baron Harkonnen" (Hence the last name. DM's choice, I just went along with it). Loved her light crossbow and her Sleep and Mage Armour spells. Had aspirations of becoming a dreaded Lich necromancer. In practice the DM moved to another city after four really fun sessions.

Rest of the party was a LE human wizard with a necromancer specialty (wizard school friend, with similiar ambitions) and a LE fighter who fluffed himself as being a gang enforcer that my father had assigned to me as a bodyguard.)

For an Evil party, we sure fought a lot of Undead.

Best moment, on going through a ghoul-infested decaying mansion on the outskirts of the city, the Fighter gets jumped by a ghoul hiding above the doorway and paralysed. The two wizards (both out of anything beyond cantrips) both hit with "disrupt undead" and get maximum damage, shredding it. Wizards shout "All hail first-level Magic Users!" and high-five. Fighter says "...eep. That was really close.".

Second best moment; we get contracted to do some grave-robbing for purposes of illegal experiments by our Alma Mater. We have to dispose of some Ghouls in the process of loading up the cart. We get stopped by the Night Watch on our way back, with a cartload of corpse.

Watch Officer: What are you doing on the street leading from the cemetary at 3am with a cart full of dead bodies?
Ivy: ...urban renewal?
WO: Try another one.
Ivy: Ok, I'll level with you. I am the daughter of Baron Harkonnen--
WO: I don't care!
Ivy:--and my extended family has just had a very passionate domestic squabble and need to dispose of the evidence respectfully, before it causes more ill-feeling..
WO:[snigger] Ok, move on.
[we move on]
WO: [as we pass]You disgusting creeps. How many did you get?
Ivy: Counting the ghouls?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-24, 11:41 AM
Fenris the orc barbarian, I was 14-15 ish and build a full blooded orc barb, used an Orc double axe, because common, it is badass as hell . Can't remember much of that game, except I killed a not-so-friendly party member after being charmed (that guy was playing definitely-not-legolas-ranger with Orc as a favourite enemy, my character already wanted to kill him, but I was playing nice....until I got charmed :smallamused:)

Chained Birds
2013-10-24, 02:23 PM
3.5: Samurai (Yes, that Samurai Class) names Gil. Lawful like a Paladin and suicidally Battle Hungry like a Barbarian. He had three great moments:
- 1: Saved the party from a party wipe by lighting a carriage full oil on fire, causing the deadly bandits to run away.
- 2: Saved many NPCs in a burning church, barred by a magic barrier from escaping, by rolling a massive critical when attempting to break through.
- 3: After the death of a party member, and a really hard battle, my guy had a 1-vs-1 sudden death battle with an Ogre (Character was like level 3 at the time) when hitting each other a single time would mean victory. Due to my higher AC (Two-Weapon Defense was useful!) I was able to avoid a hit and landed the killing blow. Got a cool magic item from the battle... Magic item broke after rolling a 1-2-1 soon after... Cool moment anyways.

PF: Rogue (Before any Archetypes came out) named Tomberry. Was going traditional Rogue/Assassin Halfling, though he was probably the nicest guy in the whole party. Only had like two good moments:
- 1: Stole a guillotine blade from a trap to use for later. Dropped it on a Gnoll, after a botched scouting, after my guy was chased up a tree. Was pretty smug about it for a while because everyone said the guillotine would be useless.
- 2: Actually got a Death Attack off! Was a lot more difficult to pull off at level 6 then I initially thought... But getting 1 off was cool.