PDA

View Full Version : need help with far realms cleric character

Deremir
2013-10-21, 05:35 PM
Ok so i'm going to be playing with a dm who uses this weird rule( i don't know the name but if someone could direct me to it id be most grateful) where you use the best things from two classes. so i'm trying to make an extremely insane but competent character who follows a far realm being named vanvittig_dezòd who has power equal to a god. and i need help finding source material. the game system is dnd 3.5/ pathfinder

back story:
so there was a cult that worshiped Vanvittig_Dezòd (translates to insane chaos for the curios) and this cult normally sacrifices a virgin girl to Vanvittig_Dezòd once every ten years. they do this by opening a portal to the far realms that Vanvittig_Dezòd can reach out through to take the girls. the character i'm going to play was one of these sacrifices the only difference is that unlike all the other sacrifice she was complacently insane! so Vanvittig_Dezòd was so amused and surprised by her that it marked her as its high priestess and sent her back through the portal to gain power before returning to him once again. so now she roams the earth attempting to gain more power and get more people to worship Vanvittig_Dezòd.

so i wanted her to be some form of magic user but i cant find anything that exactly matches what i want. here's what i want out of this character:

some way to use telepathy early on in the hopes that i can convince my dm that the act of having a telepathic link with my character will cause the other person to go insane.

the ability to at some point become an alienist.

i normally prefer arcane to divine want i dont want anything to stop me from saying i'm Vanvittig_Dezòd's high priest.

im not sure wheather this chatacters alighnment is going to be CN or CE

mucat
2013-10-21, 06:02 PM
i normally prefer arcane to divine want i dont want anything to stop me from saying i'm Vanvittig_Dezòd's high priest.

So she is Vanvittig_Dezòd's high priest; that doesn't mean she can't be an arcanist. In-world, Priest would be a job title, not a character class. (Miko made the argument well (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html), back in her saner days.)

If a deity wants to say "This mortal is my High Priest," then who volunteers to be the first to say "No; you should give the job to a divine caster instead"?

Deremir
2013-10-21, 06:06 PM
good point thanks:smallsmile:

One Step Two
2013-10-21, 06:17 PM
It sounds like you're GM is using Gestalt.
Take Wizard//Archivst, for int Synergy, and dark knowledges of the Archivist represents whispers of your mad god.

You can take a 1 level dip into the Mindbender PrC from complete arcane for always on Telepathy after 5th level. Then take Alienist afterwards.

Edit: Whoops, forgot the Gestalt Link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm).

Deremir
2013-10-21, 06:45 PM
THANKS! i think that pretty much sums it up thank you!:smallbiggrin:

One Step Two
2013-10-21, 07:00 PM
You're welcome. For flavour, and adding a little more spin on the "Blessing of a mad god", If you really are playing a gestalt game, I recommend the following:

Wizard 5/MindBender 1/Alientest 10/Fatespinner 4 // Archivist 20

Fatespinner being refluffed to represent your ability to mess with the tapestry of creation as Vanvittig_Dezòd reaches into the world through you. Archivist is one of the few classes where it's worth the full 20 levels. That said, if you were Chaotic Good, you could grab a level or two Sacred Exorcist for turn undead, and other goodies, but that's mostly for divine metmagic cheese.

Gabe the Bard
2013-10-22, 12:15 AM
Sacred Exorcist seems more like the antithesis of a high priest of a far realms deity with an unpronounceable name. But Archivist is a really good gestalt combo with anything that controls or summons monsters since you can easily buff your minions.

Something that might be a bit less powerful but good for buffs and fluff might be Bard+Alienist//Archivist. The bard and archivist buffs will stack so you can supercharge your pseudonatural summons, and you can also spread your cult's worship through your songs and tales. Bards also have a great bard-only spell, Modify Memory, which can potentially brainwash people into becoming members of your cult.

Deremir
2013-10-22, 07:08 AM
the whole thing with power is that the dm spacifically said that we need to build for power. all my other characters were more about roleplaying than fighting so i had to make a new one. he wants power? well this character whole goal is to gain followers and power!:smallamused:

Gabe the Bard
2013-10-22, 01:24 PM
Then you might want someone with a bit more charisma and leadership. Like I said, bards can do alienist. The alternative is to go with bard plus another arcane class, like wizard or sorcerer, to make up for the bard's lower casting, which could be an option if you don't care about gestalting two arcane classes (which have somewhat different spell lists, actually) and aren't particularly interested in divine casting to begin with. Bard/Sorcerer+Mindbender+Alienist+X would probably provide the best synergy. Instead of songs, you can give mad orations about your deity.

nedz
2013-10-22, 04:45 PM
You would probably get more responses if you posted this in the 3.5/PF sub forum. Hint: hit the red triangle icon to report this thread and ask the mods to move it.

Also: there's no reason why you couldn't enter Alienist from Cleric.
Something like Divine Bard // Cleric 5 / Alienist 10 would be a start.
Divine Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantDivineBard) uses Wisdom instead of Cha and so you reduce MAD. Summon things and then use your music to buff them ?

// is the symbol we use to denote classes either side of a gestalt.

One Step Two
2013-10-22, 05:35 PM
I was more referenceing sacred exorcist as a common dip for an archivist, but that said, if you want to form a Massive Cult of followers, have you considered Psionics?

A Psion/Thrallherd // Archivist/Alienist is a possibility too.

Deremir
2013-10-22, 07:05 PM
ya the my idea was that by getting telpathy through the mindbender you mentioned i would be able to force insanity on npcs by forcing them to have a link with my characters insane mind for some period of time