PDA

View Full Version : What are the good draconic auras?

CyberThread
2013-10-21, 07:26 PM
what are the best draconic auras to have if you have a choice of 3?

Coidzor
2013-10-21, 07:34 PM
Vigor is pretty good, fast healing up to half Max HP is always handy to have around.

Silva Stormrage
2013-10-21, 07:35 PM
Vigor is definitely my favorite.

There is the combo with the cold draconic aura + snow casting for extra DC's.

Raezeman
2013-10-22, 08:27 AM
Depends on the character really.
Vigor indeed is good in pretty much any situation (unless you have a DM like mine that makes the aura hurt undeads and you have a tomb-tainted soul party member, but then you just don't apply it on that one)
if you are a dragon shaman or dragonfire adept, the energy aura is great to bump you breath weapon and synergise with casters that like that type of damage for blasting spells.
If you are a dragonblooded caster the power aura (to get through spell resistance) at later levels is like a greater spell penetration for everyone!

mabriss lethe
2013-10-22, 08:33 AM
Depends on the character really.
Vigor indeed is good in pretty much any situation (unless you have a DM like mine that makes the aura hurt undeads and you have a tomb-tainted soul party member, but then you just don't apply it on that one)
if you are a dragon shaman or dragonfire adept, the energy aura is great to bump you breath weapon and synergise with casters that like that type of damage for blasting spells.
If you are a dragonblooded caster the power aura (to get through spell resistance) at later levels is like a greater spell penetration for everyone!

Thankfully, That's a bit of a house rule. Unless I'm very much mistaken, Fast Healing works on pretty much every sort of creature. If it wre the case that FH damaged undead, a tomb tainted warlock, for example, could accidentally kill themselves with one of their own class features.

Raezeman
2013-10-22, 08:44 AM
Thankfully, That's a bit of a house rule. Unless I'm very much mistaken, Fast Healing works on pretty much every sort of creature. If it wre the case that FH damaged undead, a tomb tainted warlock, for example, could accidentally kill themselves with one of their own class features.

Good point. It would definitely be stupid to be killed by you own fast healing. So you could say that fast healing heals all characters. OR you could say that one single source of fast healing heals normals and damages undeads or vise versa. Which is in my case, Zim's vigor aura heals him, our wizard and our fighter, but would damage our dread necromancer. If our dread necromancer would get a vigor auro however, it would heal him and damage the rest of us. At least, i think that's how our DM would do it. That how i would do it. To me, it makes sense to not let undead get healed up by a source that heals the living.

ZiggZagg
2013-10-22, 09:29 AM
It depends on how you view healing. What you are speaking of is a source of positive or negative energy, like the cure spells. When I read the ability, however, I see no mention of positive or negative energy, and the classes that get access USUALLY are not able to channel those types of energy. When I read the vigor aura, and read that it is fast healing rather than straight hit point recovery, I read it as a boost in a physical sense. It stimulates the body's natural metabolism and reflexive action to close wounds. Same with an Undead. Their body is once again active, so it has a type of metabolism. Fast healing would react with those chemical and physical actions going on in their body, and force the wounds closed.

turbo164
2013-10-22, 10:11 AM
Without knowing if you're a level 1 Dragon Shaman or a ECL 47 Periwinkle Dragon Bard...

With three to choose from, you'll probably want one out-of-combat aura, one in-combat aura, and the third can be whatever.

Out:

Senses - Ambush more, get ambushed less.
Presence - Assuming you're doing more than kicking doors, you'll probably talk to NPCs at some point.

In:

Power (PHB2) - trails off lategame, but could still chip in some easy damage for duel-wielders and summoners.
Power (DrM) - Assuming your group has non-Mailman casters, this can be quite helpful lategame when facing high level outsiders and such.
Energy - If you have a breath weapon, this is nice. Not quite as versatile for teammates, but we know nothing about you or your party; if you're a Gold Dragon with three fireball-slingin teammates, well congratulations ^_^

Whatever:

Vigor - In-combat early (or maybe during an extended retreat), after-combat always. Solid choice that saves on healing items and spellslots throughout the campaign. And this shouldn't damage undead.

If your party is absolutely dripping with healing already, then grab one of the above ones you missed for versatility.

Joe the Rat
2013-10-22, 11:25 AM
Power, Vigor, and Senses are a good pool to start with... and I'm iffy on Power. Toughness might be handy, but that DR/magic is going to become pretty useless when everything you fight has "counts as magic" attacks.

Grayson01
2013-10-22, 12:15 PM
My first two Auras when ever I play a DS is always Vigor and Engery (PHB2) in low levels the Energy Aura has been the winning damage that kept us alive. Plus it's always nice to know if you take damage you are at least dealing some in return. Vigor is by far the best perticularly if you don't have a heal bot, keeping your paty at half HP after evey battle is a nice perk.

As for the third it comes down to what your character/party is all about.

Presesnce was a nice one for a DS I had that had the Draconic fear aura and did a lot of Intimdate.

Sences: is good for boosting attack order, one of my DSs had the reckless trait so giong first and charging was a big deal.

Toughness: I have never been a fan of or i think of even used. mostly because of the DR/magic, however I probably should have since my DM at the time NEVER had the badguys fighting with Magic Items to se could get them as loot.

I for the life of me can't remember what the rest of them are.