PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion + Special Mount

Ziegander
2013-10-21, 07:42 PM
Isn't there a feat or PrC feature that combines class levels for Animal Companions and Special Mounts and makes them both the same creature? Or something to that effect anyway?

Snowbluff
2013-10-21, 07:45 PM
Devoted Tracker, good sir. Complete Adventurer, I'd reckon.

Ziegander
2013-10-21, 07:52 PM
Yep. Just found that. Can't use it with Druid though, it specifically stacks only with Ranger. :smallannoyed:

Is that the only option?

Can the Track feat be obtained through items?

Snowbluff
2013-10-21, 07:58 PM
Spear of the Hunt, Arms and Equipment Guide, 28kgp.

You could just take Track as feat. Druid AnC still work with it. You just don't get the bonus to smite and wild empathy.

What are you planning? Ubermount? :3

Ziegander
2013-10-21, 08:04 PM
Spear of the Hunt, Arms and Equipment Guide, 28kgp.

You could just take Track as feat. Druid AnC still work with it. You just don't get the bonus to smite and wild empathy.

What are you planning? Ubermount? :3

Well I'm building a Druid/PrC Paladin, so I get Special Mount and Animal Companion anyway, figured I better make the most of it. I could take the Track feat, but I'm pretty feat starved as it is.

Spear of the Hunt. I'll have to see if that's allowed by the DM.

Vaz
2013-10-21, 08:05 PM
A Custom Item of Shape Soulmeld (Hunters Circlet) and Open Least Chakra (Crown) will do it as well for a similar cost.

Snowbluff
2013-10-21, 08:09 PM
First I'd ask if the conflicting Druid/Paladin alignments were allowed.

A Custom Item of Shape Soulmeld (Hunters Circlet) and Open Least Chakra (Crown) will do it as well for a similar cost.

Yeah, but you wouldn't get a cool spear out of it. :smalltongue:

Ziegander
2013-10-21, 08:22 PM
First I'd ask if the conflicting Druid/Paladin alignments were allowed.

Yeah, but you wouldn't get a cool spear out of it. :smalltongue:

Yeah, when I started this character a few days ago I would have never thought that concept of combining a Druid and a Paladin would be so ****ing impossible in D&D. I'm jumping through all kinds of hoops to try and be anything close to competent. He has already helped me out with the alignment conflict, and through Gatekeeper Initiate (admitted a cool feat anyway) and the Bone Talisman spell I'm able to qualify for the PrC. Now I just have to work out all the other little details.

I probably will try to get that custom item approved. As a Druiddin, an animal bane shortspear just doesn't really do anything for me, thematically or mechanically.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-21, 08:36 PM
To be honest, there is no reason that Devoted Tracker requires ranger and not druid. See if your DM will take the sane reading and advance the feature, not the class.

HylianKnight
2013-10-21, 08:49 PM
To be honest, there is no reason that Devoted Tracker requires ranger and not druid. See if your DM will take the sane reading and advance the feature, not the class.

I believe it does for the Animal Companion part, just not the Smite Evil part.

That being said the harder part is being able to take both classes since you need to take all your Druid levels and then become Lawful and stick with Paladin before presumably doing some PrC

Ziegander
2013-10-21, 09:15 PM
I believe it does for the Animal Companion part, just not the Smite Evil part.

That being said the harder part is being able to take both classes since you need to take all your Druid levels and then become Lawful and stick with Paladin before presumably doing some PrC

Actually, I'm probably just going to stay Prestige Paladin for 15 levels unless I can find a different full BAB, animal companion, casting advancing PrC that's better. I like the added paladin spells and it helps to make sure my companion/mount stays relevant. So, I'll need a pretty niche PrC to get me to stop taking the PrC Paladin levels. I don't really care about 8th/9th level spells, and I could really do without 7th level spells as well if I had to.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-21, 09:57 PM
Well, there's always Halfling Outrider...

Snowbluff
2013-10-21, 10:01 PM
Hey guys. I did this once. Just saying. :3

Arcane Hierophant is usually a good way to go.

Dragon Mag feats help a lot. Holy Mount, Theurgic Mount, Theurgic Bond...