PDA

View Full Version : Descend into Darkness (IC)

Simba
2013-10-22, 12:55 AM
Traveling through the lowlands of Farland, a group of young adventurers heard that Baron Robert of Falcon's High was looking for some people to solve a little problem of his. They set out north at once, crossing the Greenfields River on the northern trade route, replenished their supplies at the trade post of Brade's Crossing and took the road further north.

After about 2 weeks of travel you are now in the hills south of the Northwall Mountains. The road you are following is old and winding, following the contours of the land between green hills. You guess another day or two should be enough to reach Falcon's High, a fortress guarding the only good pass over the Northwall into the wilderness beyond.

The group is made up of Deidre Porter, a Human Sorceress, Basil Reginal Wellington III, a Human Cleric of Lirr, Kato Kraken,a Human Beguiler, and Ellen, an Elven Duskblade.

Unknown to them, Ethienne Greenfield, an enterprising young Halfling has been following them for a few days now, trying to catch up and join them.

As evening draws close the group starts looking for a likely place to rest for the night.

As they round another bend the group spots something lying in the middle of the road.

Cho'steh
2013-10-22, 09:42 AM
Leaning forward from his seat, Basil bends the wide brim of his hat down to shield his eyes better from the sun. Speaking to the horse-drover next to him on the wagon, Basil murmured, "I say, Nasir, do you see that up ahead? Slow the horses down a bit."

OOC and Rolls:

Spot Check: [roll0]

OOC: I am assuming that everyone is riding in the wagon due to ease of travel.

DM OOC: I created a standard Commoner 1 for the Hireling. Stats are t bottom of my character sheet. I did not double his skill points as he is not a player character. ^.^ Standard all the way.

Trivino
2013-10-22, 10:36 AM
Kato lets out a relaxed breath as night comes over him and his comrades. As the cart begins to slow, Kato's attention is brought to an odd figure blocking the road. Kato offers a smile to his fellow travelers.

"My good people, allow me to take a look at that is before us," Kato says as he jumps down from the cart.

The wild-haired man slowly walks towards the roadblock, half expecting an attack.

Kato will slowly walk towards the item, hand placed on his Rapier.

Lazy Genius
2013-10-22, 11:46 AM
More discomforted from the roadblock than worried, Elénariel slowly stood up in the cart, rolling her shoulders casually and silently, almost absent-mindedly draw her bow and nocked an arrow, but not pulling the string back yet. Though she acted casual, she looked wary and focused, and her ears twitched slightly. "When we've handled this, let's settle down somewhere, start early tomorrow."

The specific arrow nocked is dependent on the distance to the spotted thing:
Distance<130ft: Regular (hardwood) arrow (25% to break, not 50%)
130ft<Distance<155ft: Flight arrow (inceases range by 25ft)
155ft<Distance: Swiftwing arrow (-1 penalty per range increment, not -2)

I've also changed the original "Masterwork Composite Longbow Mighty +2" to a self-crafted "Elvencraft Dragonbone Longbow Mighty +2" (can be used as staff and range +20ft). More changes may come later, but so far this it.

Simba
2013-10-22, 02:22 PM
As you draw a little closer and look closer you see that what you see is actually more than one thing. The first thing you discern is the carcass of a large horse, a fine warhorse of dark, almost black color. Around and under it are the bodies of 3 huge wolves and 5 orcs.

Cho'steh
2013-10-22, 02:45 PM
Seeing the carnage before him, Basil makes a face. "Oh, bother, this is dodgy. Ellen, see if you can't hop down and help Kato shift those bodies. I'll have to say rites over them. Don' want any ghosts coming 'round and faffing about." He gets up and starts to climb out of the wagon. "Nasir, do a chap a favor and keep the horses calm."

Lazy Genius
2013-10-22, 04:10 PM
Upon seeing that the roadblock is, in fact, dead bodies, Elénariel immediately stores the arrow back in her quiver and puts back her bow. "Very well." Her voice, though rough as it is, still sounds almost musical in quality. She hops down gracefully and jogs over to Kato to catch up with him before he can disturb anything. "Would you mind if I inspected the scene first, ascertain if I can identify what transpired here?" Before the good man has a chance to answer however, she looks around slowly, not touching anything, inspecting the scene.

When she was done with her perusal, she beckons Kato and moves the bodies off the road into a ditch, and when done almost immediately starts stripping them of all but their clothes without so much as a word of explanation.

Search to discern what happened, and to see if they have any valuable things worth 1gp or more on them, then take those things when the bodies are moved.

[roll0]
ok, after the first check, take 10, if nothing is found, take 20.

Trivino
2013-10-23, 02:53 AM
Kato feels his stomach turn into knots at the sight of the dead bodies. He scrunches his face in disgust.

"Gods!"

"Would you mind if I inspected the scene first, ascertain if I can identify what transpired here?"

Kato turns and quickly straightens as the Elven woman approaches. He quickly changes his face to a softer look and offers a subtle smile.

"Of course, my dear Elf."

Kato casually walks about behind the beautiful Elven woman, trying to maintain his composure. When she is finished, he gladly helps her move the corpses.

Simba
2013-10-23, 03:13 AM
You start moving the bodies off the road, finding them stripped of everything of real value. The only thing more or less useful is the horse's barding, but the once fine chain is badly damaged, torn apart in places and requiring a lot of work to be whole again.

It is hard work, bloody and exhausting. After about two hours you have piled up all the dead flesh beside the road. The bloody trail leading away, off into the bushes to the right in clearly visible now, as are the tracks of quite a few people.

Mr White
2013-10-23, 03:25 AM
“I'm all for entertaining distractions and all but can we afford to get sidetracked when we have a task at hand?”

Cho'steh
2013-10-23, 08:19 AM
Basil walks around the corpses holding his symbol, chanting in a low voice. When he finishes, he tucks away his symbol and turns to look up at the Sorceress.
"My dear Deidre, distractions of course we cannot abide; Baron Robert is expecting. However, all creatures should be accepted into the afterlife, including feral orcs. Which leads us to the next point." He sweeps his hand at the bodies. "These are feral orcs. If there are some in the area, there will be more. I am concerned that they might have taken individuals prisoner. I can not and will not stand about."

Rolls:

Knowledge(Local): [roll0]
I want to check to see if I know anything about local orc tribes/marauders/bandits.

Simba
2013-10-23, 08:36 AM
@Basil:
While the area you're in is usually free of marauding monsters, the Northwall Mountains are home to many tribes and creatures. Blocking the easiest route out of the Northwall, Falcon's High was spcifically built to protect the hills and lowlands from bandits, marauding orc bands and monsters.

Cho'steh
2013-10-23, 09:22 AM
"This may be the problem he wants us to help with though. The Baron is in charge of preventing the Northwall from vomiting its inhabitants upon the rest of us. Either way, we must check."

Mr White
2013-10-24, 02:31 AM
Fine, If you're all so eager to waste time, you might as well help me get this barding in my bag of holding.

OOC
Is it possible to get all the barding in my bag?
What would this be worth?

Simba
2013-10-24, 03:16 AM
Is it possible to get all the barding in my bag? What would this be worth?

As it is it could be sold for about 200 gp. If you repair it maybe double that amount. It weighs about 100 lbs.

Cho'steh
2013-10-24, 08:39 AM
"My dear, helping others is never a waste of time. Someone help me get my armor on." Basil pulls his plate armor out of the wagon and begins the process of putting it on.

OOC:

It will take 4 minutes to put on with help.

Lazy Genius
2013-10-25, 02:51 AM
After the arduous task of stripping the corpses of their valuables, Elénariel sighs and walks back to the cart slowly and surely, to climb atop again and sit down for a rest. When Basil started to attempt to don his armor in prospect of going further discovering what happened, she reacts unfavorably to this attempt. "Since it is not early in the day, I find the donning of armor a wasteful activity, unless you either mean to use it before you sleep, or plan to sleep with it on tonight."

Mr White
2013-10-25, 05:09 AM
“I get it. Tit for tat and all that. Just don't expect dressing you will become a habit.”

Shae (my hawk familiar), fly up in the air and alert me is danger is approaching. I don't want to be caught in such an embarressing situation.

Cho'steh
2013-10-28, 03:43 PM
OOC: No posts in a few days, so I'm gonna go ahead.

With his armor on, Basil start tromping forward onto the trail, hoping to find whoever battled the orcs. ""Nasir, give the horses some feed will you? I expect we'll be back in no time."

Simba
2013-10-29, 01:02 AM
Basil easily manages to follow the bloody trail that leads off into the bushes to your left. The tracks are too muddled for an untrained person to make out any details, though.

Let's give the others a chance to follow Basil or decide to stay behind, ok?

Mr White
2013-10-29, 04:00 AM
Deidre joins Basil. Anybody who can track better than Basil or me? All I can say is that something disturbed the dirt here and went vaguely in that direction.

Shae, scout ahead and report if you see anything of note.

Lazy Genius
2013-10-29, 06:46 PM
Elénariel, though hesitant to join them, did, as they would be getting nowhere further that day, that much was clear. Unaware of Basil's intentions to venture further, her remark was uncalled for, and she knew it, and wanted to make up for it. "You continue onward, and make certain your passage is apparent. I am not a proficient tracker and I can set up camp and meet you before too long. I do not expect we will be going anywhere else tonight." At that, she immediately started helping Nasir unload the cart in a quick and orderly manner, setting up the materials for the tents on the side of the cart not facing the road, close to cover both gathered around a central spot.

This assumes that you'd interrupt me, because catching up on 45 minutes of walking is kind of a big hassle, and I think you guys'd realize that too. :smallwink:

Simba
2013-10-31, 06:40 AM
Leaving Elénariel behind to set up camp, Basil and Deidre make follow the bloody tracks into the bushes, led by Shae.

After about 2 minutes Shae comes back and circles a few times, screeching all the time.

For Deidre:
Shae says: "Two-legs fighting, one against many. Have wolves. Some dead. Want to fight? Who? Shae help?"

Mr White
2013-10-31, 12:29 PM
There's a fight up ahead! A group with wolves against one. Hurry!

While running in the general direction of the fight Deidre turns towards Shae: "Lead us towards the fight Shae but keep your distance for now".

Cho'steh
2013-10-31, 12:52 PM
"We must hurry. Be careful though. We don't know what the situation is."

Spot check: [roll0]
Listen check: [roll1]

Simba
2013-11-02, 03:06 PM
As you get closer you can hear the characteristic sounds of battle from up ahead. You come out of the bushes and find a small clearing where a pitched battle is taking place. A figure in full plate armour is busy defending itself from 3 burly orcs. Around them, the bodies of 2 wolves and another orc prove that whoever the person in plate might be, he knows how to fight.

What do you do?

Cho'steh
2013-11-03, 09:51 AM
Basil places his hand over the holy symbol hanging under his armor and intones a short prayer before unslinging his shield and his morningstar.

"Take heart, we have come to aid you!" Basil yells at the group.

Basil is casting his Divine Favor spell, giving him a +2 to Attack and Damage rolls. Then uses his move action to get his morningstar and shield.

Means he has AC of 20, Attack roll with morningstar of +8 and damage of 1d8+4 x2. If he gets an AoO, just roll it yourself, Lord DM. XD

I said at the group, because I want the cry to be confusing until I charge next round. ^.^ Noone knows who i will aid! WAHAHAHAH

Mr White
2013-11-04, 06:31 AM
Deidre imagines the sound of a large group of armoured men like Basil fastly approaching the clearing (casts ghost sound) and immidiatly follows Basil.

Simba
2013-11-07, 05:11 AM
At the sudden noise 2 of the 3 orcs turn around while one keeps up the pressure on the armored warrior. Seeing you they charge, running straight at you.

Sorry for the delay. Roll initiative, please :)

Mr White
2013-11-07, 01:08 PM
Initiative roll:
(+2 for dex and +4 for improved initiative)
[roll0]

Cho'steh
2013-11-08, 09:06 AM
Welp, just gonna move this over here
I got a 17. I rolled in the OOC

Simba
2013-11-09, 03:12 PM
OoI:
Basil
Deidre
FiA (figure in armour)
Orcs...if they live that long.

Please feel free to post in any order, I will write a summary once you have posted.

Mr White
2013-11-11, 05:52 AM
Deidre casts grease at the area just in front of the charging orcs.

Cho'steh
2013-11-11, 11:12 AM
Basil sighs and shifts his shield in front of him, readying his morningstar for a swing.

I am simply readying an action to smack the first orc that gets close to me. XD

Simba
2013-11-16, 03:41 PM
Both orcs slip as they run straight into the slippery area created by your spell. One manages to stop his slide, but the other is carried by his momentum and only stops a few feet away from you.

Distracted by his fellows' screams the third orc falls victim to the armored figure's longsword.

Your turn again

Vintrastorm
2013-11-17, 07:02 AM
Ethienne

As the third orc falls to the armored figures longsword a guttural scream can be heard from some of the bushes at the side of the clearing. An orc comes stumbling out, bow in his hand, looking terrified behind him. His clothes and armor appears to be somewhat blackened by sot and his face and arms are burnt. As he starts to run across the clearing, hardly noticing what's going on there, another figure comes crashing through the same bushes. What appears to be a large wolf (with barding made of leather and) with a small halfling woman atop is hunting the orc. The green clad halfling woman is holding on to the canines pelt with one hand and her other hand is engulfed with flames. She magically gathers the flames in and throws it toward the orc. And instant later new flames surround her hand.

OOC:

Character picture can be found here (http://bit.ly/1aaT2f6). Please disregard the gloves, the furs and the leather-like chest armor thingie.

Character sheet can be found here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=687154).

The spell is "Produce flame" and creates a flame that lasts for CL minutes or CL attacks, whichever is the lowest. Melee or ranged touch attack (range 120ft) that does 1d6+CL (Max 5) damage. I have 3 attacks, having used 1 already and using 1 now:
Ranged touch attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

(If I got the initiative order correct this initiative takes place at the end of the turn, before it's a new round. )

Mr White
2013-11-18, 06:38 AM
Deidre gestures and 2 darts formed by light fly from her fingertip at the orc lying closest to her. Afterwards Deidre repositions herself behind the Basil.

casts a magic missile:
Damage [roll0]

Cho'steh
2013-11-18, 09:23 AM
As the orc slides into range, Basil does a swift over-hand blow at the orc, immediately following up with another.

"It appears we have an unexpected ally, Deidre."

Basil is taking his readied action as the or slides into range. Orc is prone, so it's AC is 4 lower.
Attack: [roll0]
Confirmation: [roll1] Multiplier is x2.
Damage: [roll2]

And then he uses his standard for round to smack the bastard again.
Attack: [roll3]
Confirmation: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

ANd then he readies his move action to take a five-foot step to block any charges at Ethienne.

Mr White
2013-11-20, 06:21 AM
“We'll still have to see about that”.

“Shae, are there anymore surpirses?”

Mr White
2013-11-21, 04:43 AM
OOC message
I'll be on a a short vacation from Friday to Monday. I don't think I'll be able to go on the internet during that time.

However, I have no problem with the DM taking over my character in order to keep the game going during the weekend.

Simba
2013-11-27, 08:08 AM
Only one orc remains alive after your attacks. He finds himself in the middle of a field of slippery stuff, almost surrounded by enemies. He looks around in fear, then, with an expression of determination (or maybe resignation, who knows?) he aligns himself with Basil, the closest of his enemies.

[roll0]

He takes 2 careful steps, then throws himself at Basil, his handaxe coming down hard and fast, but missing its target.

Vintrastorm
2013-11-27, 08:22 AM
Seeing that we have the advantage against the orcs, Ethienne thinks to herself: "They seem capable enough. I'll let them deal with the orc as they see fit. Maybe they want it alive for questioning." as she dismisses the flames from her hand and climbs of Daisy. She inspects the scene and the different characters before her.

Mr White
2013-11-28, 04:11 AM
Deidre keeps her position behind Basil and arms and readies her crossbow in case the orc survives Basil's attack.

Simba
2013-11-28, 04:19 AM
The figure in armour takes a last look around, the helmeted head moving left to right and back, then falls down with a crash, right on top of the last orc in front of it.

Mr White
2013-12-02, 06:16 AM
Basil, I think this is your cue to take a closer look. I'll be a few steps behind you.

Vintrastorm
2013-12-02, 06:36 AM
(On her initiative Ethienne will rush towards the fallen warrior to give aid.)