PDA

View Full Version : Demon Hunter build

Nexahs
2013-10-22, 01:22 AM
I'm trying to make a character whose basic motivation for adventuring is killing demons wherever he finds them. Bear with me, because there are going to be a lot of fluff-related choices for this character.

Starting level 5. Race: Tiefling. Class levels: ranger 1, fighter 3. Feats (that I've decided on so far): Power Attack, Dodge, Mobility, and most likely Knowledge Devotion. I was going to take Nemesis before I realized you have to be good-aligned.

I'm thinking about prestiging into Kensai, partly because I'm a fan of the weapon enchanting, partly because I haven't found any good demon-specific prestige classes.

So, advice? Things I should or shouldn't do? And does anyone know of a demon-related prestige class that jives with the general theme I have going?

Yogibear41
2013-10-22, 01:47 AM
I actually made up a character with this concept in mind, and I wrote stuff down, now I just have to find it. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Found it! althought I did not put as much work into this one as I have my other experimental builds as of late, its was basically a mock up of Illidan Stormrage, or at least a more "warcraft" demon hunter, basically being a gish.

15 levels of Battle Sorcerer 5 Levels or Abjurant champion, taking abjurant champion as soon as you qualify for it.

Took as many Abyssal Heritor Feats as it could gaining increasing Natural Armor and DR/Lawful as you gain more feats.

Use Nar Fiendbond a 7th level spell from Lost Empires of Faerun to transform yourself into a half-fiend later on in your career, either using a trick to cast it on yourself or getting someone else to do it.

Character was going to start off CG then slowly shift to CE as his hunt for demons slowly consumed him as he delved deeper and deeper into demonic powers trying to fight fire with fire, culminating with the half-fiend template.

Although your build is not a gish at all maybe you can draw some ideas from this.

EDIT #2: Might want to take a look at the Foe Hunter Prestige class from Masters of the Wild, its 3.0 but you could use it for your "demon Hunting" prestige class.

Xerlith
2013-10-22, 03:35 AM
Fist of Raziel.
You must be LG though.

Anyway, use Lesser Tiefling instead of Tiefling to get rid of the +1 LA

Finally, do not go more than 2 levels of fighter. Reasons are obvious.

Darrin
2013-10-22, 05:28 AM
Starting level 5. Race: Tiefling. Class levels: ranger 1, fighter 3. Feats (that I've decided on so far): Power Attack, Dodge, Mobility, and most likely Knowledge Devotion. I was going to take Nemesis before I realized you have to be good-aligned.

I'm thinking about prestiging into Kensai, partly because I'm a fan of the weapon enchanting, partly because I haven't found any good demon-specific prestige classes.

So, advice? Things I should or shouldn't do? And does anyone know of a demon-related prestige class that jives with the general theme I have going?

I would recommend a Savage Progression Tiefling (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a). Dodge and Mobility are widely regarded as poor choices for feats. Could you give us a list of sourcebooks available?

As far as Nemesis goes, what's wrong with being a good-aligned Tiefling?

I'm not sure I'd recommend Kensai. If you want to enchant your own weapon, I think the Ancestral Relic feat or the Oriental Adventures Samurai is a better deal.

For PrCs, I'd look at Hellreaver (Fiendish Codex II). Swift-action healing for you and your allies, Mettle, you can smack dimensional anchor on your enemies with your sword, and the capstone causes evil outsiders to explode.

WinWin
2013-10-22, 05:38 AM
Presumably the alignment restriction on selecting you own own type/subtype forces the character to be evil.

Elves have the same issue if they want to take drow as a favoured enemy, if you go by RAW.

I had an idea for a dretch acolyte of the skin/fleshwarper, attempting to hard force it's own demonic ascension by grafting bits of other fiends to itself, but it was a minor NPC in a game that never really evolved into an antagonist.

Feint's End
2013-10-22, 05:41 AM
For PrCs, I'd look at Hellreaver (Fiendish Codex II). Swift-action healing for you and your allies, Mettle, you can smack dimensional anchor on your enemies with your sword, and the capstone causes evil outsiders to explode.

Second that .... great prc to go demon fishing. Also I really like the fury system giving the class something along the line of Initiators and the Factotum (with a bit psionic thrown in).

Xerlith
2013-10-22, 06:19 AM
Second that .... great prc to go demon fishing. Also I really like the fury system giving the class something along the line of Initiators and the Factotum (with a bit psionic thrown in).

Thirding that. I forgot about the class.:smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2013-10-22, 12:12 PM
Dodge and Mobility? Are you making a spring attacker?

Presumably the alignment restriction on selecting you own own type/subtype forces the character to be evil.

I had an idea for a dretch acolyte of the skin/fleshwarper, attempting to hard force it's own demonic ascension by grafting bits of other fiends to itself, but it was a minor NPC in a game that never really evolved into an antagonist.

I'd thought the same thing, but then I learned that it'd apparently been dropped between 3.0 and 3.5 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm#favoredEnemy).

That does sound pretty interesting.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-22, 12:18 PM
Big fan of the Witch Slayer PrC in Tome of Magic. Pretty often overlooked.

Prereqs: BAB +5, Know (Rel) 4, Sense Motive 4; must have fought a binder or possessed creature. So pretty easy to basically walk into.

5 levels long, good BAB/Fort/Will. 1/d/lev, you can smite a possessed creature1. You get mettle at 2nd (talk to your DM about upgrading it to improved mettle if you already have mettle, because mettle sources are few and far between and stacking them up is pretty awesome). Later you gain Slippery Mind (which can be a lifesaver).

Capstone is hands-down the coolest 5-level PrC capstone I've seen.

Momentary Disjunction (Su): At 5th level, you can temporarily disable the spellcasting, spell-like, and supernatural abilities of a single creature within 30 feet as a swift action. If the target fails a Will saving throw (DC 20 + your Cha modifier), it cannot use spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities of any kind, as if affected by an antimagic field, for 1 round. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again for 5 rounds.

1 which by the way works for things like the Awesome Smite feat or the Improved Smiting feat. Which, mind you, Awesome Smite says nothing about having to use your smite on an actual valid target, just that when you smite you get a boost to your attack.

Waker
2013-10-22, 12:27 PM
Should you go the Ranger route, you might want to take Favored Enemy (Outsider, Evil) as your first choice. That would let you deal your extra damage to any Outsider with the Evil subtype, whether they be Demon, Devil or something else.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-22, 12:28 PM
Does Witch Slayer advances casting (even partial)? because that would be awesome on any cha-based gish.

Waker
2013-10-22, 12:30 PM
Does Witch Slayer advances casting (even partial)? because that would be awesome on any cha-based gish.

Nope, no caster progression or SLAs. Just an assortment of cool Ex and Su abilities.

Red Fel
2013-10-22, 12:46 PM
Seconding Fist of Raziel and Hellreaver, either one.

Fist of Raziel requires two feats and a divine spell, but it advances divine spellcasting, and gives you a ton of smites and augments those smites, along with smites you may have gotten from any other source. A single-level dip also gives you a perpetual Magic Circle Against Evil effect, and the capstone turns all of your melee attacks into Holy, which automatically deals bonus damage to evil creatures even when not smiting. As a bonus, Fist of Raziel is good against any evil creature, not just evil outsiders. However, given that you're going with Ranger/Fighter, this might not be the class for you.

Hellreaver has substantially fewer requirements (slay an evil outsider), but it has its own power system entirely and does not advance anything. The Holy Fury mechanic is great, because it replenishes in each encounter, can be recharged by taking Con damage, and augments your combat in all sorts of excellent ways. As a further plus, because the Holy Fury mechanic is basically its own system, it can stack comfortably with whatever you bring into the class, without replacing it or rendering it redundant. Also, the class is specifically designed around killing the crap out of Evil Outsiders. If your goal is to kill some demons, this is a fantastic choice.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-10-22, 01:02 PM
Nope, no caster progression or SLAs. Just an assortment of cool Ex and Su abilities.

I think it can be done with a Suel build.

Full BAB 5/ Witch Hunter 1/Suel 4/ Abjurant Champion 5/Witch Hunter + 4/Something 1...

Coidzor
2013-10-22, 01:03 PM
I think it can be done with a Suel build.

Full BAB 5/ Witch Hunter 1/Suel 4/ Abjurant Champion 5/Witch Hunter + 4/Something 1...

Spellsword, maybe?

CyberThread
2013-10-22, 02:04 PM
I'm trying to make a character whose basic motivation for adventuring is killing demons wherever he finds them. Bear with me, because there are going to be a lot of fluff-related choices for this character.

Good Choice

Would you be open to changing any of that to sneak attack based damage?

Yuck, nononon go for the feat legacy weapon instead, same feel and better
Hellreaver is pretty good, if you decide you want sneak damage, look up hellbreaker

there you go

Thurbane
2013-10-23, 08:38 AM
Knight of the Chalice PrC (CW) is designed with this in mind, but Hellreaver generally does it better.

Garagos
2013-10-23, 09:16 AM
I'll second Knight of the Chalice. We homebrew it a little bit to get rid of its own spell list/slots and just do a +1 to existing caster level every even level. Makes the cleric dip a bit more useful since it will advance cleric spellcasting that way.

If you're ok with homebrew, I have one or two fiendslaying type PrCs of my own I can send you if you PM me.