PDA

View Full Version : 1 minute timer on Spam Reporting

AstralFire
2013-10-22, 09:03 AM
This isn't a big deal, but would it be possible to lower the cooldown on the report button? When there are ad threads here, there are often quite a few of them.

Zherog
2013-10-22, 09:11 AM
The report button uses the same "cooldown" time as making a new post. So reducing that timer for one will reduce it for the others, and the staff have said they don't want people to be able to post more often than once per minute. It's annoying when it comes to reporting a lot of spam at once, but it's something it seems like we're going to have to live with.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-10-22, 09:54 AM
The report button uses the same "cooldown" time as making a new post.

More specifically, it uses the same cooldown time as making a post because it actually does make a post to a mod-only section of the forum. All reports fora single post are congealed into a single thread.

Anyway, I've found it helpful to be reading something else while reporting stuff. Sure, that means I sometimes forget to report stuff until like 5 or 10 minutes later, but at least I'm doing something.

AstralFire
2013-10-22, 10:21 AM
That's about what I thought. (I think I even asked this question before years ago, but I guess search was removed? I can't find my old posts without using google anymore.) Yeah, reading something else is what I do in the meantime, but I feel bad when I get distracted and forget.

Zherog
2013-10-22, 01:07 PM
Correct, search has been disabled. Short version: the search index is pooched, and fixing it would require at least 3 days of downtime.

The Dark Fiddler
2013-10-22, 01:08 PM
That's about what I thought. (I think I even asked this question before years ago, but I guess search was removed? I can't find my old posts without using google anymore.) Yeah, reading something else is what I do in the meantime, but I feel bad when I get distracted and forget.

Yes, search has been indefinitely removed. It was taken away because a forum backup had already taken a day or two longer than it should have, and fully restoring the index the search used would have delayed it far longer. Rather than have the forum down for that long, those in charge decided to simply not restore the search index and drop search.

Anyway, don't feel bad about getting distracted. The mods are only volunteers, so you're, like, a volunteer volunteer. As long as it gets reported, it's better than nothing!

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-24, 11:00 PM
Sheriff: Seems like the questions here have been answered.