PDA

View Full Version : Hide/ignore threads

Kalmageddon
2013-10-22, 11:12 AM
I'd like to know if it is possibile to put a thread on an "ignore" list, much like with users, and how.
I cannot provide any context for this request so please don't ask.

ChristianSt
2013-10-22, 11:37 AM
I would say it is not possible. I haven't seen any options or indications (in a thread, on the board and the user CP) to hide one or to manage hidden ones.

happyturtle
2013-10-22, 12:00 PM
There are browser extensions that block access to pages by url. You could use one of those to block the thread from loading if you clicked it, but it wouldn't stop the thread from showing up on the forum page.

TuggyNE
2013-10-26, 01:37 AM
Greasemonkey scripts could doubtless perform this function, but off-hand I'm not aware of any for GitP. (If I write one, I'll let y'all know.)

VeliciaL
2013-10-26, 03:57 AM
I wouldn't mind having this functionality, myself.

Renegade Paladin
2013-10-26, 08:47 AM
It's a little unreasonable to ask Rawhide to program such a thing when the option of simply not clicking on the thread exists, no? :smallconfused:

ChristianSt
2013-10-26, 09:53 AM
It's a little unreasonable to ask Rawhide to program such a thing when the option of simply not clicking on the thread exists, no? :smallconfused:

Same could be said for ignore users - you have just the option to not interact with them, but the option still is there. (I don't think the option is that useful, but if one is ok, the other is imo on the same level. [Ok, threads can't PM you, but if a user just keeps spamming you with PMs, than I think he sure will get trouble soon]).

And if it would work a spam-thread-heading-script which is reliably (so it doesn't hide non-spam), would be really awesome :smallwink:

(Also nobody said Rawhide should write one, it was merely the questioned whether one such option exists)

Guancyto
2013-10-26, 02:00 PM
Same could be said for ignore users - you have just the option to not interact with them, but the option still is there.

You're kidding, right?

I'd have a psychotic breakdown if I had to rely on just 'not interacting with people.' Or, y'know, never post, but the ignore option is much healthier.

Programming a function to ignore spam threads would have all the problems that the 'spam' folder of your inbox does. :smalltongue:

ChristianSt
2013-10-26, 05:08 PM
You're kidding, right?

I'd have a psychotic breakdown if I had to rely on just 'not interacting with people.' Or, y'know, never post, but the ignore option is much healthier.

Programming a function to ignore spam threads would have all the problems that the 'spam' folder of your inbox does. :smalltongue:

Ok, interact was the wrong word. Should have said "read posts from them".
But from my understanding the ignore function should only hide posts from that person and stops PM from them - or does it more than that?

If so, than (aside from PM-shenanigans, which I think should be a slippery slope to harassment), to answer "don't read them" is exactly the same to "can I ignore threads?" as to "can I ignore users?". If one of them is considered useful, then imo the other should equally be considered useful.

As to the automatic spam removal: I know it isn't really possibly - but that doesn't make it any less awesome if it would exist :smallwink:. [And if it would exist, I would certainly use it]

Porthos
2013-10-26, 07:24 PM
There's a vBulliten 3rd party plug-in that allows this:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127487

HOWEVER: It'd have to be tested to see if it plays nice with the current setup that Rawhide has running here. Which may or may not require Forum Downtime. It also might use up server resources that are better spent elsewhere.

It also might be something that TPTB have little to no interest in. Or it is SO far down the line in front of more pressing matters that they might as well have no interest in the matter.

Personally I suspect there are things much higher on the priority list that they want to deal with. But I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask. :smallsmile:

The_Snark
2013-10-26, 11:59 PM
Ok, interact was the wrong word. Should have said "read posts from them".
But from my understanding the ignore function should only hide posts from that person and stops PM from them - or does it more than that?

If so, than (aside from PM-shenanigans, which I think should be a slippery slope to harassment), to answer "don't read them" is exactly the same to "can I ignore threads?" as to "can I ignore users?". If one of them is considered useful, then imo the other should equally be considered useful.

There's a difference, I think - if you want to ignore a thread, then not clicking on it is fairly simple. You will never see any trace of that thread aside from the title. But if you want to ignore a user, you have to either avoid every thread they're participating in, or skip over all of their posts, every time you come across one, without reading a word. Not quite so simple. If someone was really bothering me, enough to warrant ignoring/blocking them, I wouldn't be happy with that as an alternative solution.

Anyway. Not trying to say anything about the merits of a Hide/Ignore Thread function - just pointing out that no, I don't think these two suggestions are equal at all.

Rawhide
2013-10-27, 12:56 AM
The ignore users option is such a deeply embedded part of the coding that it cannot be removed, otherwise it would have been before we upgraded from YaBB to vBulletin. The current crew hasn't had a chance to express their preference (as it is a moot point anyway), but WampaX (now retired but was in charge of all moderators and moderation decisions at the time) wanted it removed/disabled. I, personally, think that the option is pretty worthless, but see no harm in it remaining other than the overhead it generates. If the option to remove/disable it becomes available, I will be bringing it to the attention of the team to decide.

Ignoring threads is not an option provided by the forum software.

Adding the ability to ignore threads is also not an option at this stage, meaning that even if it didn't add a performance overhead (which it does), it isn't even going to be considered. No new features or changes are being considered or implemented at this stage.