PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Favored soul build (Help Please)

Silverhayabusa
2013-10-22, 12:08 PM
Any help would be appreciated and I'll update the OP as changes are made with a post letting you all know.

Okay so I'm currently in a game that my wife is running. I'm the only Healer and because of desired story & fluff I want to change my class into a Favored Soul from cleric (Closer connection to my Deity and all).

I'm not looking so much to break the game just optimize somewhat and I'm looking to play without muilt-classing away from the FS due to my character growing closer to his gods as he level (the theory being that he's becoming more then a human).We're both more into the story then just hack-n-slash but this campaign is supposed to be a more eat-down-the-door attempt.

Some of my basic information is missing as my character was brought back from the dead at the start of the campaign and doesn't have a full memory...

Primarily his job is going to be as party healer and secondary line of attack.
He's supposed to stay behind the Barbarian and Rouge and heal them as well as stop anyone who gets past those two from getting to the Sorceress and Wizard.

He fights with a spear (His gods weapon) and as well with a crossbow (So that he doesn't have to be in the front lines as much.

The campaign doesn't feature the typical 3.5 gods.
My god's favored weapon is the spear.
Domains of Protection, Healing, Good

My character is Human. By the time of switching class he should be between level 5-7. The DM and I are talking about making a few changes to the class that I've read on other posts and that we think have to be included with the only Divine caster is the campaign.

The DM's thinking into giving me turning as a class feature.
I'm going to ask about some advancement ideas that I've read on other topics such as:
- Wings (30' good) at level 5, (45' good) at level 12 to (60' good) at 17th.
- DR 1 at level 2 improving by 1 every 2 levels until DR10 at 20th.

As a note I'm the only actual person playing. The DM running the party and everything else...
She's epic. Just saying..
The party consists of a 5 Barb, 5 Sorc (focused on fire), >5 Wiz and a 5 Rouge (Aprox lvls)

Since the Sorc is fire focused I thought to use cold focused damage spells where applicable (perhaps adjusting some other elemental spells into cold). I also have a +1 Heavy Repeating Crossbow of Shocking that I want to keep making use of (I know its an exotic weapon but when the DM says you can use it without the feat who argues??).

My current stats are. (Keeping in mind that when I assigned them I was thinking of becoming a swashbuckler not a favored soul..) She's considering letting me switch Cha and Int and I still have my Ability point from 4th level to place at the moment. Which I'm thinking will go into Cha.
Str: 9 [-1]
Dex: 18 [+4]
Con: 13 [+1]
Int: 16 [+3]
Wis: 13 [+1]
Cha: 14 [+2]

Feats that I'm thinking of:

Bonus: Augment Healing (ComDiv pg.79)
1st lvl: Point Blank Shot [If there are any items that can give this to me to free up a feat let me know]
3rd lvl: Precise Shot [If there are any items that can give this to me to free up a feat let me know]
6th lvl: Touch of Healing (ComChamp pg.62)
9th lvl: Storm Bolt (ComMage pg.47) [Icy Blot]
12th lvl: Improved Flight (Races of the Wild pg.151) [I think that there must be an item that can give this]
15th lvl: Summon Elemental (ComMage pg.47)
18th lvl: Storm Bolt (ComMage pg.47)

I've played with tossing the feats arround and I think this is the best I can do..
Let me know if any ideas jump out at you.

Spells:

- Cure Minor Wounds
- Summon Holy Symbol
- Light
- Create Water
- Mending
- Detect Poison
- Detect Magic (6th & 7th level)

-
- Blade of Blood
- Invest Light Protection
- Bless
- Comprehend Languages
- (7th Level)

- Close Wounds
- Silince
-
- (6th & 7th level)

Tegannie
2013-10-22, 01:56 PM
I'm playing a Favored Soul as well (going into Stormlord) and my DM gave me access to one of my deity's domains (in this case weather). Basically, my spells known included all of the domain spells in addition to my normal ones. It's not much of a power increase, though, but helpful.

My advice (I'm not much of an optimiser, though) would be to focus on spells whose effect scales with level. ie, choose a spell that gives a bonus of +1 per 3 caster levels over one that gives a flat +2. That way it will be useful at later levels.

If you can I would consider switching Int and Wis, the put the +1 in Cha. Your spell DC is going to be based on Wis. IIRC, Cha only determines what level spell you can cast, while Wis determines how strong it is (I may have these switched, though).

If you can't switch Int and Wis (or would rather switch Int and Cha), then I would put the +1 in Wis.

I would also consider switching that 18 in Dex to Wis or Cha, depending on how you plan to play. If you're giong to mostly throwing a spear with some magic to heal/buff/damage the undead, keeping it in Dex would be helpful. But if you plan to focus on magic with the spears for backup, I would switch it.

If you plan to be throwing spears and want to maximize damage, I would also switch the Str and Con, since throwing weapons add Str to damage. It's not much of a difference, though.

Oh, and there's a second level spell I would recommend, but I'm at work and can't look it up. It's in the PHB and summons your deity's weapon, which then fights for you.

Tysis
2013-10-23, 01:45 AM
What is it exactly that you want your character to do?

Silverhayabusa
2013-10-23, 07:28 AM
He's supposed to stay behind the Barbarian and Rouge and heal them as well as stop anyone who gets past those two from getting to the Sorceress and Wizard.

He fights with a spear (His gods weapon) and as well with a crossbow (So that he doesn't have to be in the front lines as much.

nedz
2013-10-23, 08:18 AM
Right: so you want to be a 2nd line tank and yet you are taking Archery feats and Storm Bolt ?

Also, why are you taking Storm Bolt twice ?

Touch of Healing is a bit of a waste, just buy a wand of Lesser Vigor or Cure Light Wounds — which should be a party item.

There are a few handbooks around which cover making a melee Cleric, if that's what you want.

If you were a Cleric then you could take Storm Bolt at 3rd, when it's actually useful; Favoured Souls can only take it at 6th.

Favoured Soul 5 / Stormlord 10 is a reasonable Mid OP build.
Either use a Long Spear, with Power Attack etc, or throw Javelins.
A Quiver of Ehlonna (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#efficientQuiver) will help with these.

Tysis
2013-10-23, 02:11 PM

Since you're getting turn undead, dmm persist mass lesser vigor will take care of all your healing needs you can then defend your sorc and wizard using summons. If that doesn't appeal to you then I suggest going into stormlord and throwing javelins. I would definitely stick to ranged combat because you aren't going to be close in damage to the barb in melee and by level 6 the things you can summon are far better than you at tripping.

If you plan on flying all the time make you sure get flyby attack