PDA

View Full Version : 9-12 months After Today...

Mith
2013-10-22, 12:40 PM
...Sabine may stop caring about Nale.

(My appologies if this has already been disscussed to death. I don't like lich ponies either.)
One of my first thoughts after Tarquin murdered Nale was the fact that it is stated in comic that Nale and Sabine sacrifice a girl to renew thier love.(as seen here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0349.html ) Whether or not this was a throw away gag or actual fact remains to be seen. But it could be a good heart wrecher to have Sabine catch up to Tarquine right as the effects of the ritual, and then walk away since the reason for her vengeance no longer matters, thus proving Tarquin's point that no one aside from Elan and his mother, actually cared for Nale.

Emulgator
2013-10-22, 12:52 PM
Nah, they just get a happiness out of it.

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-22, 12:56 PM
I don't think so, Tim.

sadeyes1111
2013-10-22, 04:09 PM
I thought that was just so Roy wouldn't question why he was sacrificing Elan

Finagle
2013-10-25, 03:30 AM
Q: Why is starting a comment in the Subject: line incredibly annoying?

skim172
2013-10-25, 08:21 AM
Well, if you conceived a baby today, you'd have a baby in 9 months, give or take. If you're human.

If gestation takes 12 months, then you may be a donkey, a sea lion, a camel, or an alpaca.

Why specifically 9-12 months? :smallconfused:

Kish
2013-10-25, 08:28 AM
Well, if you conceived a baby today, you'd have a baby in 9 months, give or take. If you're human.

If gestation takes 12 months, then you may be a donkey, a sea lion, a camel, or an alpaca.

Why specifically 9-12 months? :smallconfused:
...because that's what Sabine said about the ritual; what does gestation have to do with it?

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-25, 01:45 PM
This thread is not about babies in any way, shape, or form. Unless you are using the babies as sacrifices for your evil happiness (which probably gives it a boost in effectiveness, to be honest).

Regardless, the OP is probably misguided in his assumption that human sacrifices are the only thing keeping Sabine loyal and in love with Nale. More likely, the sacrifices enhance their relationship rather than being the sole basis of it.

Also, we don't know when the last time they did a sacrifice was, so 9-12 months is the most time that could pass before the effects, whatever they are, wear off. It could just as easily be any amount of time less than that.

kgato503
2013-10-25, 03:24 PM
Actually, there might be some impact from this relatively soon. (sorry about the long post)

We have already seen them (Sabine and Nale) try and make sacrifices of members of the OotS twice (Roy and Haley). If they weren't able to get a sacrifice since their original attempt, then, theoretically, the effects from the last successful sacrifice could be wearing off soon.

Of course, there are a few problems with this, as it would assume that they hadn't managed to get a sacrifice since possibly before the Cliffport incident. Also, with Nale dead, we have no idea how the wearing off of the ritual would play out. From what Sabine said in 349, I would guess that the ritual just keeps their relationship healthy, instead of ensuring that they care about each other (there is a fine line there). Overall, however, if it were to come into play, I think it will happen before we get finished with the final gate (looking at this from a thematic/plot related perspective)

Personally, if this were to impact how Sabine acts, I would guess her vengeance would go from "YOU KILLED MY BOYFRIEND!" to "YOU KILLED SOMETHING THAT WAS MINE!", making Nale go from an equal to a possession in her mind.

This could also have ramifications if she ever sees Nale again, or if he comes back, since it would mean he would be coming back to a no less than healthy relationship.

Overall, however, I don't think she will stop trying to get revenge. Just that the focus may shift (remembering Gargoyles, this may happen with or without the ritual playing a factor).

Cerlis
2013-10-25, 04:52 PM
This thread is not about babies in any way, shape, or form. Unless you are using the babies as sacrifices for your evil happiness (which probably gives it a boost in effectiveness, to be honest).

Regardless, the OP is probably misguided in his assumption that human sacrifices are the only thing keeping Sabine loyal and in love with Nale. More likely, the sacrifices enhance their relationship rather than being the sole basis of it.

Also, we don't know when the last time they did a sacrifice was, so 9-12 months is the most time that could pass before the effects, whatever they are, wear off. It could just as easily be any amount of time less than that.

I think he was putting the idea out there, not saying it was true.

And indeed it would be wretched.

KillianHawkeye
2013-10-25, 05:06 PM
I think he was putting the idea out there, not saying it was true.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you clarify who you're talking about?

Reddish Mage
2013-10-25, 05:42 PM
I expected to hear something like " I will be kicking back and reading my copy of Book 5!"

Lettuce
2013-10-25, 06:54 PM
Call me crazy, but I truly believe their love is genuine. Otherwise Sabine wouldn't say things like this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0860.html).

Everyl
2013-10-25, 07:08 PM
I'm no Giant mind-reader, but it seems to me that any plots to sacrifice members of the Order are just a needlessly complicated way of killing their rivals. Nale's big on needlessly complicated plans.

And the stuff Sabine said to Roy seemed to be just a part of the plot to frame and replace Elan. They weren't really trying to sacrifice anyone in Cliffport, they just wanted Roy to think they were to make it harder for Elan to get out.

angry_bear
2013-10-25, 10:19 PM
Look, some couples go out for dinner, maybe some dancing as a way of spending time together. Others ritualistically murder the boyfriend's brother's best friend and offer his still beating heart to dark powers as a way of spending time together. The only real magic involved is the magic of love... Strange, unnatural love...

skim172
2013-10-26, 08:31 AM
...because that's what Sabine said about the ritual; what does gestation have to do with it?

Ohhhhh - I didn't notice that in the comic. Okay, that explains everything, I'm an idiot.

I read "nine months" without any context and my first thought was that was how long it took to make a baby.

Manga Shoggoth
2013-10-26, 09:18 AM
Call me crazy, but I truly believe their love is genuine. Otherwise Sabine wouldn't say things like this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0860.html).

Well, genuine on Sabane's part, at least.

Actually, that scene makes me feel quite sorry for her. Literally the last thing she says to Nale is that she loves him. And he can't hear her say it.

Pokonic
2013-10-26, 09:51 AM
A major running theme of OoTS is that Evil People can still people with emotions and goals. Xykon might be the only actual individual in the comic who is flatly evil for the sake of being evil. Red Cloak has his own goals and objectives and comes off as almost reasonable, and has a genuine change of heart in Azure City that would almost be a heel turn if it wasn't the context: he put away his irrational speciesism regarding other goblinoids and gets the nerve to take frontal command to lead the army to victory...over the paladins. Tarquin and his party members are all real friends, even as they carve up a continent for the sake of power. The Black Dragons clearly had a decent familial relationship, even if they are humanoid-eating dungeon dwellers. Tsukiko cares for her 'children', even if it's in completely unwholesome ways.

So, really, Sabine loosing her personal connection with Nale would be rather odd, giving that there's nothing to say that she was the one to bring up there romantic connection in the first place. Really, I would think the whole 'heart and sacrifice' bit would be the equivalent of going out on a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant after seeing a good movie.

Mith
2013-10-26, 02:20 PM
Thanks to the replies, and I apologize about the cruddy Thread title.

This thread is not about babies in any way, shape, or form. Unless you are using the babies as sacrifices for your evil happiness (which probably gives it a boost in effectiveness, to be honest)

Sadly, my first thought upon reading this was "12 months, guaranteed virgins."

As to the others wondering where I was going with this idea, I wasn't thinking along the line of this being fact, more along the lines of a nice twist Rich could throw into the comic.

Astroturtle
2013-10-26, 02:31 PM
Random Crazy Talk:

Obviously, Sabine is pregnant. Given where Nale's soul is now, the IFCC can do what they please with it. As such, the Chaotic Evil director will ensure that he's reincarnated as his own half-fiendish son, just for the lulz.

JCAll
2013-10-26, 03:00 PM
Random Crazy Talk:

Obviously, Sabine is pregnant. Given where Nale's soul is now, the IFCC can do what they please with it. As such, the Chaotic Evil director will ensure that he's reincarnated as his own half-fiendish son, just for the lulz.

Where their relationship goes after that is best left to the fanfiction sites :smallbiggrin: