PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5]Dualweapon enchantments

Serarya
2013-10-22, 01:26 PM
Hello again :),

the Wizard Guide here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wizards%27_Handbook_by_Dictum_Mortuum_%28DnD_Optim ized_Character_Build%29/Equipment) is talking about enchanting a Quarterstaff like this:

A +1 Eager Spellstrike / +1 Warning Defending quarterstaff costs 36.600 gp and gives you a huge amount of bonuses (assuming magic weapon, greater is casted on both heads, with a rod of lesser chain for example).
+5 bonus to AC which stacks with all others.
+5 bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities (it has no type, so assume that it stacks with all others).
+7 bonus to initiative checks. (actually +5 insight and +2 unnamed).

But i got three elemental questions about that.

1. Priceing
After searching for the dualweapon enchantment rules i think that the priveing is cause of following calculation:

| (up side)
| +1
| Eager
| Spellstrike (3 x 3 x 2000 = 18.000)
|--------
| +1
| Defending
| Warniung (3 x 3 x 2000 = 18.000)
| (bot side)

18.000 + 18.000 + 600 (Masterwork) = 36.600
Is this right?

2. When do i get the Bonus?

Does i always have to hold the Quarterstaff to use the full Features? Or is there a "active" and a "passive" part (caouse its a dualweapon)?
As an wizard i would hold this weapon in only one hand - not even thinking about attacking. Can i have all benefits from the enchantments?
Or do i not even have to hold this Quarterstaff, are all Bonuses passive (like Warning Enchantment)?

3. Calculating the Bonus

Wen i would enchant the weapon with the mencioned enchantments - why are the whole Bonus from about +6 (+3 up, +3 bot) inst took for the calculation of maximum ac bonus - and not only +5? Realy i'm confused...

My Fighter always use weapons - but i never experienced that the Quarterstaffs are quiet this complicated... always those complicated wizards

Serarya
2013-10-25, 12:39 PM
Hello :),

a answer is still required - maybe someone can help me out?

Captnq
2013-10-25, 02:14 PM
Whoops. Sorry. Missed you.

Well, if you have any future questions about weapons, I direct you to The Weapon Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9053.msg183871#msg183871).

I'm not sure what your questions are, exactly.

I'll run the math for you.

You have a quarterstaff. It is worth: 0 gp.
It's a double weapon. We want to enchant both sides, so they must become masterwork. 300 gp + 300 gp (total: 600 gp)

Now to one end we are adding:
+1 Enhancement Bonus
+1 WSA (Eager)
+1 WSA (Spellstrike)

Total +3, or 18,000 gp.

The other is:
+1 Enhancement Bonus
+1 WSA (Warning)
+1 WSA (Defending)

Total +3 or 18,000 gp.

Total cost 36,600 gp.

Then he is casting a spell on both ends of the weapon. Greater Magic Weapon. This spell grants a non-stacking bonus of +5 Enhancement to each end of the double weapon. So, as long as the spells are active, you are now:

+5 EB
+1 WSA (Eager)
+1 WSA (Spellstrike)

and

+5 EB
+1 WSA (Warning)
+1 WSA (Defending)

Eager and warning both give you a +7 to your initiative roll. More importantly, eager allows you to draw your weapon as a free action. So you can then choose when you draw it what you are going to do with your twin +5 EBs.

You see, you can sacrifice all +5 of your EBs to your spellstrike and gain +5 to saving throws against spells. You can sacrifice your +5 EBs in the OTHER HALF OF YOUR STAFF and you gain +5 to your AC. Now here's the kicker.

You can just hold the staff in your off hand and cast spells with your other hand.

Of course this depends on you knowing a 15th level caster who can cast a chained greater magic weapon, but hey, that's what puts the Theoretical in TO, know what I'm saying?

herrhauptmann
2013-10-25, 02:23 PM
Your pricing is right.

Defending: I think you should only get the Defending bonus when you've used your quarterstaff as a weapon. It's a ruling that comes into place when someone puts defending spikes on everything (boot blades, armor, both gauntlets, shield).

Warning/Eager: What does the enchantment say in the book? When worn (would count when 'sheathed' like a sword), or when carried? If carried, just keep it in your hand all the time. It's a walking stick. If worn, just keep it accessible, maybe in your quiver of ehlonna or handy haversack.

I'd say skip Defending, get Smoking. It's a 20% miss chance (that doesn't apply if you've left your starting square, but haven't finished your movement). Now you don't need a chained GMW to get the best effect. Also, AC quickly becomes useless unless you've really focused on boosting your AC.

Other good enchantments? Spellblade. Sudden Stunning. Luckblade with 0 wishes (all 3 are flat cost).
Nervewrack, Doomburst, and Paralytic burst if you think you're actually going to be hitting people a lot, and can guarantee a crit.