PDA

View Full Version : Want Simon Belmont class.

Sor-El
2013-10-22, 01:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone could make me a 3.5 Simon Belmont class.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-22, 02:28 PM
Could you tell us a little more about what you'd like to see out of said class?

Sor-El
2013-10-22, 02:42 PM
His whip would be able to deal lethal damage with a progression equal to a small monk's unarmed damage.
He would have subweapons that get better as he progresses.
These would be dagger,throwing axes,watch,and cross.

Realms of Chaos
2013-10-22, 05:20 PM
To ask the obvious question, is there anything in particular that would make Simon Belmont a class instead of a character (such as a fighter or a rogue with modified sneak attack) with a magical cross and watch as simple magic items?

Some of the stuff from the games (as least from initial glances) doesn't seem to translate well into DnD mechanics.

For example, who would use the dagger? Considering that throwing axes can be used in melee, deal more damage, and have better range, I'm not seeing how that would really work out. The game mechanic of having axes travel in arcs and knives fly in straight lines doesn't translate to DnD so having class features for both doesn't make much sense (though, again, Simon Belmont as a character may like daggers as a lighter backup weapon).

Also, no mention of holy water/fire bombs? :smalltongue:

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-22, 05:35 PM
Yeah, off the top of my head, I can see a feat or two to do lethal damage with whips, but beyond that, any number of conventional classes-- Warblade, Factotum, Swashbuckler, Rogue (or Daring Outlaw Rogue/Swashbuckler), what have you-- would probably work just fine.

Here are the feats:
Whip It [General]
Prerequisite: Whip proficiency, BAB +1
Benefit: When wielding a whip, you may deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your option. In addition, you may deal damage to armored creatures, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when attacking with a whip.

Whip It Good
Prerequisite: Whip It, BAB +3
Benefit: When wielding a whip, you deal more damage, as shown on the table below. In addition, you threaten all squares within your reach.
{table=head]Character Level |Whip Damage
3rd|1d4
4th–7th|1d6
8th–11th|1d8
12th–15th|1d10
16th–20th|2d6 [/table]

Finally, make note of the Whip Climber skill trick from Complete Scoundrel (which lets you use a whip like a grappling hook)-- you'll want it.

CinuzIta
2013-10-22, 05:49 PM
check out my signature! The thread called "whip em to death" has a new whip, feats, alternative class features and an alternative lasher prc!:)

I don't know simon belmont very much, but from what I know I'd suggest a 5 level dip in fighter (for feats), 10 levels in paladin/cleric and 5 in my lasher class:)

Ziegander
2013-10-22, 05:52 PM
I was wondering if anyone could make me a 3.5 Simon Belmont class.

Oh, I'll do it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310386). I'm so bored lately, I'll do almost anything.

EDIT: There, linked up and ready to play. I just need to work out that capstone.

ArcturusV
2013-10-22, 06:33 PM
Simon Belmont... ah... good times. Throwing Oak Stakes at Orbs and wearing Dracula's Ribs...

I'd probably do a Belmont as a PrC, rather than a Base Class or a chain of Feats. Makes sense to me. Rough ideas that are coming to me, because I don't really have time to work on it right now?

1) Resistances. Belmonts have a natural power to resist things. This is probably going to come up with something like a permanent Protection from Evil at level one, to a mind blank effect as a Capstone to the PrC.

2) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Vampire Hunter Whip. Note that the "Whip", at least the one you use in most of the games, isn't actually a whip as the DMG lists it, but instead a more like an unholy union between a Morning Star and a Whip. So probably going to have to create a unique weapon to mimic it. Particularly since the creatures he fights means that his "whip" probably deals Slashing and Bludgeoning damage (Bypassing Zombie/Skeletal DR types).

3) Probably have some Cursebreaker ability. This fits more towards Trevor Belmont than Simon, but is clearly one of the powers of the Belmont Bloodline (How Trevor frees his companions from their various curses like Flesh to Stone, Mental Enslavement, etc).

3) Some iconic "Subweapon" talents. I got some ideas for this.

If the other guy hasn't done something by tonight/tomorrow morning I'll probably start work on it.

Ziegander
2013-10-22, 09:04 PM
Yeah, off the top of my head, I can see a feat or two to do lethal damage with whips, but beyond that, any number of conventional classes-- Warblade, Factotum, Swashbuckler, Rogue (or Daring Outlaw Rogue/Swashbuckler), what have you-- would probably work just fine.

Here are the feats:
Whip It [General]
Prerequisite: Whip proficiency, BAB +1
Benefit: When wielding a whip, you may deal lethal or nonlethal damage, at your option. In addition, you may deal damage to armored creatures, and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when attacking with a whip.

Whip It Good
Prerequisite: Whip It, BAB +3
Benefit: When wielding a whip, you deal more damage, as shown on the table below. In addition, you threaten all squares within your reach.
{table=head]Character Level |Whip Damage
3rd|1d4
4th–7th|1d6
8th–11th|1d8
12th–15th|1d10
16th–20th|2d6 [/table]

Finally, make note of the Whip Climber skill trick from Complete Scoundrel (which lets you use a whip like a grappling hook)-- you'll want it.

Mind if I use these for my Devil Hunter class?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-22, 10:39 PM
Mind if I use these for my Devil Hunter class?
If you want 'em, feel free-- they're just "ignore the downsides" and Superior Unarmed Strike.

Ziegander
2013-10-22, 10:46 PM
If you want 'em, feel free-- they're just "ignore the downsides" and Superior Unarmed Strike.

Indeed. I was just going to roll them into a single Slayer's Trick.

SassyQuatch
2013-10-23, 12:42 AM
As a core concept Simon seems like a Ranger/Scout/Paladin style character. Paladin for the more holy warrior vibe, Ranger/Scout for a more mobile and skilled fighter feel with a strong favored enemy (undead).

Main weapon is the whip, but several sub-weapons each with their own tricks to enhance the weapon . A class feature like channeling which is used to power the sub-weapon tricks which would be like:
Dagger - touch attack throw
Cross (boomerang) - returning holy weapon
Axe - heavy damage attack, silver axe
Holy water (fire bomb) - splash weapon, combination of fire and holy energies
Stopwatch - like a time stop spell but only affects creatures (undead, etc. explicitly not immune), slows or does not affect enemies based on number of HD

Let's try an early core.

Holy Warrior
HD: d8
Skills: 6 + Int
BAB: Full
Good saves: Reflex, Will
Weapon and armor: simple weapons, all whips, light armor

1: Vampire Killer - Grod's whip feats rolled into class feature; +1 damage per class level on attacks vs undead; Weapon channeling - "hearts" work like PF gunslinger's Grit
2: Bonus feat: Weapon Focus(whip), fast movement
3: Skirmish AC bonus, Trapfinding

Other abilities that would work are Evasion and Mettle plus defenses against undead and mind-affecting (vampires).

Just a few ideas to help you out.