PDA

View Full Version : So... Spell traps

Xerlith
2013-10-22, 01:55 PM
I have noticed something that... Well, pretty much obviates the whole existence of the Tippyverse. Did I miss something?

Reset
A reset element is the set of conditions under which a trap becomes ready to trigger again.

No Reset
Short of completely rebuilding the trap, there’s no way to trigger it more than once. Spell traps have no reset element.

Forrestfire
2013-10-22, 02:01 PM
The answer to that is actually right in the text you quoted. Spell traps don't have a "set of conditions under which a trap becomes ready to trigger again," they are either one-use or automatically reset regardless of conditions.

Also, the Tippyverse as I understand it is mostly built off teleportation circles revolutionizing trade and transportation. A lack of self-resetting traps makes it harder, yes, but it can still exist just fine.

Xerlith
2013-10-22, 02:10 PM
Well, it's more about all the centralization of craft and food thanks to the Create Food traps coupled with Wish traps for craft.

Sigh, but I see now you can just make it a magic device trap and be happy with it, just as I initially thought.
Nevermind, my bad. :smallredface:

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-22, 02:30 PM
There are also spell clocks, which do the exact same thing.

The Tippyverse is also only really dependent upon Teleportation Circles. In some ways it is actually more fun without magic traps.

TuggyNE
2013-10-22, 04:21 PM
I have noticed something that... Well, pretty much obviates the whole existence of the Tippyverse. Did I miss something?

This only applies to spells that create traps. For example, fire trap, glyph of warding, and so on.

It does not apply to magic traps that cast spells.

tyckspoon
2013-10-22, 04:24 PM
I notice the OP seems to have realized this, but for clarity's sake:

There is a difference between a spell trap and a trap that casts a spell. A spell trap is just that - a spell that creates a trap. These are effects like Alarm, the Symbol spells, Sepia Snake Sigil, and Fire Trap. These have no reset because they are inherently one-and-done effects; when you trigger it, the magic is expended.

A trap that casts a spell is a 'magical device' trap; these work pretty much like mechanical traps, except that they cast a spell on activation instead of launching darts/rolling a big rock/opening a pitfall/whatever. They can be reset with just about any method.