PDA

View Full Version : Help with a character concept? (grippli fey bard)

unseenmage
2013-10-22, 03:11 PM
I'm looking to play a small character who rides an albino Pterodactyl.
The original idea was to play a Talenta Halfling but I've since decided I'd rather play a monstrous character.

Game is 3.5, low op, level 4, in Eberron. Homebrew available upon review by DM.

I was thinking about playing a Ranger or some other class that would have interaction with the pterodactyl.

Ideas Playground?

Edit: Figured out this much so far, Grippli Wilderness Bard riding a Pteradon who plays a berimbau. Now I need sources for cool stuff to do with him. Neat bard tricks and Animal Companion Tricks.

hamishspence
2013-10-22, 03:14 PM
Kobold maybe? Small, a bit more monstrous-looking than a halfling.

unseenmage
2013-10-22, 06:03 PM
Kobold maybe? Small, a bit more monstrous-looking than a halfling.

Kobold was my first thought too but they have such a bad rep around these parts and the game is supposed to be low op.
Was also hoping for something a little more monster-ey.

nedz
2013-10-22, 06:04 PM
Half Fey Goblin Wilderness Bard

Idhan
2013-10-22, 06:50 PM
Goblins are naturally very good riders (+4 racial). Maybe a goblin who was former scout for a goblinoid warlord who was independent of Lhesh Haruuc, and when Lhesh Haruuc managed to take his fief and put the rebellious warlord's head on a pike, your character escaped on a dinosaur and his lived as an exiled adventurer ever since? I don't know. (Although if your DM has plans, those plans might be complicated by having a "wanted dead or alive in Darguun" character.)

unseenmage
2013-10-22, 08:50 PM
I am already running a goblin in another game so I'd like to avoid repeating myself if possible. And again, I was hoping for some more esoteric suggestions. LA is fine though he would still have to be functional in a low OP game.

Blackjackg
2013-10-22, 09:05 PM
A few more esoteric options:

Grippli (Dr324)
Gruwaar (Dr317)
Phanaton (Dr339)
Tasloi (Shining South)
Warforged Scout (MM3)
Xvart (Dr339)

unseenmage
2013-10-22, 09:13 PM
A few more esoteric options:

Grippli (Dr324)
Gruwaar (Dr317)
Phanaton (Dr339)
Tasloi (Shining South)
Warforged Scout (MM3)
Xvart (Dr339)

Pending DM permission Grippli looks like the winner. Will be very cool riding an albino pterodactyl.

Now what is this Wild Ranger wilderness bard that was mentioned earlier?

Idhan
2013-10-22, 09:36 PM
I guess goblins aren't really monsters that much in Eberron. Maybe a dolgrim? That would probably unnerve most people even in Eberron. Plus four arms are nice for riding since you don't need to guide with knees unless you're doing something needing four hands at once.

UPDATE: Whoops. Ignore this if Grippli is already the winner. I was just responding to the rejection of goblin.

Blackjackg
2013-10-22, 09:58 PM
Is there a particular version of the pterodactyl that you're using? I see the Eberron book has the Glidewing, but that's large-size which makes it (if I understand the rules correctly) less than ideal for a small-sized rider. There's a medium sized version of the pteranodon in Dragon 318, which could be better.

I always figure if you're going to have an interesting mount, you should make it an animal companion. The Dragon version of the Pteranodon is a Druid-Level-4 animal companion, so you could theoretically have it at the start of an ECL 4 game (compared to the Glidewing, which isn't available as in animal companion by RAW at all).

In order to get that albino pteranadon at the beginning of the game, you either have to take a class with full Animal Companion progression (as far as I know, that means either Druid or Oriental Adventures Shaman) or else Ranger (or a 1-2 level dip in something else) plus the Natural Bond feat from Complete Adventurer. In addition to dipping Druid or Shaman, you could dip into Sorcerer or Wizard with the Animal Companion ACF from Unearthed Arcana. In general, I'd recommend against the dip-and-feat option because either you wind up with a seriously underpowered companion at higher levels, or at best you blew a feat getting an early leg-up on the class feature, but it's your character-- do whatever seems fun.

There are also a couple of Prestige Class options that advance your animal companion-- off the top of my head, I can think of Beastmaster and Animal Lord, both from Complete Adventurer (although you'd basically have to homebrew up a Dinosaur Lord variant if you wanted to do Animal Lord). Both have full BAB and could be fun for the rangery-dinosaury-froggy feel you're after. Something to consider for your future advancement.

EDIT: The wilderness bard mentioned before might have been the Savage Bard variant class from Unearthed Arcana. It looks to me like it's a little less useful than the standard bard, but if bard + wild is what you want, it's a flavorfully-appropriate choice.

PraxisVetli
2013-10-22, 10:03 PM
Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, would be quite nice as Ranger (moght even be favored class).
MM...3?

unseenmage
2013-10-23, 01:03 AM
Is there a particular version of the pterodactyl that you're using? I see the Eberron book has the Glidewing, but that's large-size which makes it (if I understand the rules correctly) less than ideal for a small-sized rider. There's a medium sized version of the pteranodon in Dragon 318, which could be better.

I always figure if you're going to have an interesting mount, you should make it an animal companion. The Dragon version of the Pteranodon is a Druid-Level-4 animal companion, so you could theoretically have it at the start of an ECL 4 game (compared to the Glidewing, which isn't available as in animal companion by RAW at all).

In order to get that albino pteranadon at the beginning of the game, you either have to take a class with full Animal Companion progression (as far as I know, that means either Druid or Oriental Adventures Shaman) or else Ranger (or a 1-2 level dip in something else) plus the Natural Bond feat from Complete Adventurer. In addition to dipping Druid or Shaman, you could dip into Sorcerer or Wizard with the Animal Companion ACF from Unearthed Arcana. In general, I'd recommend against the dip-and-feat option because either you wind up with a seriously underpowered companion at higher levels, or at best you blew a feat getting an early leg-up on the class feature, but it's your character-- do whatever seems fun.

There are also a couple of Prestige Class options that advance your animal companion-- off the top of my head, I can think of Beastmaster and Animal Lord, both from Complete Adventurer (although you'd basically have to homebrew up a Dinosaur Lord variant if you wanted to do Animal Lord). Both have full BAB and could be fun for the rangery-dinosaury-froggy feel you're after. Something to consider for your future advancement.

EDIT: The wilderness bard mentioned before might have been the Savage Bard variant class from Unearthed Arcana. It looks to me like it's a little less useful than the standard bard, but if bard + wild is what you want, it's a flavorfully-appropriate choice.

Thank you very very much. Your advice and citations are much appreciated.

Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, would be quite nice as Ranger (moght even be favored class).
MM...3?

That is a definite alternative if the frogfolk aren't ok-ed.

Does anyone know of a way to get Telepathy with the Animal Companion?
An albino flying lizard (http://biancaevenstar.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/weyrworld.jpg) just seems like it should be able to talk to me with it's brain.

nedz
2013-10-23, 04:46 AM

Yes, My Bad, Savage Bard Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard)

Arc_knight25
2013-10-23, 07:36 AM
Also in UA as a Bard you can give up:
Bardic knowledge, inspire courage, inspire competence, inspire greatness, inspire heroics

To gain:
Animal companion (as druid), nature sense (as druid), resist nature's lure (as druid), wild empathy (as druid). \

Not your standard Bard, but interesting to play I'm sure.

unseenmage
2013-10-23, 12:02 PM
'Ajar the Small One' the Grippli Wilderness Bard is a go!
As is his albino medium Pteradon. (Woo!)

Now, I have this crazy idea to find the name of an actual rain forest musical instrument and use the stats for an equivalent 3.5 musical instrument but my Googling keeps coming up short.

nedz
2013-10-23, 12:09 PM
Pan pipes — the south american kind.
Drums

unseenmage
2013-10-23, 12:24 PM
Found it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berimbau) the berimbau (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8dI iBq4p0CI&ei=XgRoUs28L4GiyAH9hICwDw&usg=AFQjCNH9Wwszmw_Iv3dTEdkeGNu_B05wRQ&sig2=Zq7PHn6_mtlEXF1aUEj1uQ&bvm=bv.55123115,d.aWc), very cool looking/sounding. Now to learn enough about it to describe it in PbP...

I know there are cool things that can be done with a Bard's instrument, anyone know where that info is located?
Edit: From the look of this thing it's just asking to be used as a bow.

Also, is there a benefit anywhere by RAW to having an albino character/animal companion?
I'm going to use it regardless but I'd hate to miss out on a crunch-to-fluff connection if there is one.

hamishspence
2013-10-23, 12:33 PM
I think in Elder Evils, the Cynidiceans are albino- but they're also cave-dwelling, which may make a difference.

They are Humans with Low Light Vision (2x normal spotting distance in poor lighting) and Light Sensitivity (dazzled in bright sunlight or within radius of a daylight spell).

A character in Serpent Kingdoms is also described as albino- but mechanically, this is a big weakness, and there's no benefit (they take 1d4 nonlethal damage per round they are in normal lighting).

nedz
2013-10-23, 12:48 PM
Also, is there a benefit anywhere by RAW to having an albino character/animal companion?

Circumstance penalty to Hide, unless the terrain is all snowy perhaps — though that does sound a little unlikely in a Jungle.

unseenmage
2013-10-23, 01:00 PM
Circumstance penalty to Hide, unless the terrain is all snowy perhaps — though that does sound a little unlikely in a Jungle.

Grippli aren't exactly the most hide-able of species in the first place so I doubt an Albino Grippli is any more colorful than a regular red orange blue etc etc one.

nedz
2013-10-23, 01:31 PM
I thought it was the Pteradon which was an albino ?

hamishspence
2013-10-23, 01:37 PM
It was- but the question was:

is there a benefit anywhere by RAW to having an albino character/animal companion?

raising the possibility of the character being albino as well if the OP likes the idea.

unseenmage
2013-10-23, 01:38 PM
I thought it was the Pteradon which was an albino ?

Doubled down on the white skinned wonders. Mainly because the image of having a creepy white frogman riding a creepy white flying dinosaur under the awnings of Sharn just compelled me.

unseenmage
2013-10-23, 01:39 PM
It was- but the question was:

is there a benefit anywhere by RAW to having an albino character/animal companion?

raising the possibility of the character being albino as well if the OP likes the idea.

I'm thinking that maybe there's a Flaw somewhere that would work for this. I'm just not familiar enough with them to know off the top of my head.

hamishspence
2013-10-23, 01:46 PM
Low Light Vision was the benefit, Light Sensitivity the penalty- in Elder Evils- for the albino underground-dwelling variant human subrace.

More like a Trait than a Flaw:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm

unseenmage
2013-10-26, 09:50 PM
So Ajar the Grippli Fey Bard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=688172) is built but he is not proficient with his lute-bow berimbau, his nets or his bolas. Which is dumb.

Anyone know of the best way to get him proficiency without costing him his Pteranodon Animal Companion with multiclassing?