PDA

View Full Version : Yoshi, the War Hero Gone "Advisor" (Help!)

Zovc
2013-10-22, 03:22 PM
The game is Pathfinder. It takes place in the fallen world of Othelon, a war-torn land that was once the home of great kingdoms. We're starting at level 10, because evil is more fun when you're powerful.

You may arrange the following stats as you choose: 18, 16, 16, 14, 12, 10. Distribute 2 stat increases as you see fit.

What is your character concept? Decorated Samurai gone Ambitious Advisor
In what way is your character evil? Ambition.
What events or experiences caused your character to be evil? ???
Name 3 unforgivable things your character has done. ???
What are your characters goals? To become as powerful and influential as possible.

Keep in mind that although your character will likely be self-motivated or more selfish than the average player character, D&D is a game of teamwork. If you feel like your character just wouldn't go along with the course of action that is best for the group, work to find a way to make your character decide to go along with it. The difficulty of the challenges you must overcome can be a powerful motivation.

So, my friend is running a (likely) one-shot Pathfinder game in which players are encouraged to play evil characters. When that was all the information I had, the direction my mind went was an plotting, mischevous Rogue/Bard type who would convincingly spread rumors about himself, his company, and his foes to achieve his goals. That sort of character would be plausible even at low levels. Then I found out that we are starting at level 10, so I decided to embellish and distort things a bit more.

The idea of spreading lies and backstabbing pretty easily translates to a political figurehead stereotype, so I explored that and came to the more specific "evil royal advisor" trope. How do you obtain a position as an advisor normally? Through prestige, public opinion, or campaigning... all of which are easier to do when you don't have certain moral objections.

"No one can rule or defend this kingdom as well as me." Is the general justification I'm leaning towards for this character.

Perhaps Yoshi was a promising soldier, gone respected veteran, gone decorated hero, and in a ceremony where honor was bestowed upon him, one of his superiors said something along the lines of him being the greatest military asset of the kingdom, and that went to his head?

Perhaps somewhere in his military career he made a ruthless decision that allowed his company to succeed, but was abhorrent? His allies were traumatized by it and he was scarred?

I'm imagining that he eventually was brought into the royal guard because of his prowess in battle and dedication to success at any cost. I'm also picturing that he put into motion some sort of upset in the guard so that he could quell it and paint himself a hero.

I'm liking the name Yoshi (http://www.behindthename.com/name/yoshi) because it apparently can mean "Righteous"--which is ironic--and because it's memorable, and a little silly. Any idea of what to pair that with, and whether it should be a first or last name?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

First of all, I have to admit that I've been on a bit of a samurai kick lately. So, I'm using the Pathfinder Samurai (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/alternate-classes/samurai). Samurai and Cavaliers can use one another's orders interchangeably, and I believe the Cavalier "Order of the Cockatrice (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/orders/paizo---cavalier-orders/order-of-the-cockatrice)" suits our character best. The order lets Yoshi intimidate people with things like "I single-handedly defended the emperor from a revolt! Will you face me?"

I'm thinking a few levels in there (enough to justify becoming a war hero and member of a royal guard), and then levels in Bard (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard) or Rogue (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue). Six levels in Bard gives Yoshi Suggestion, which is pretty sweet. Rogue has some cool talents, though, too.

I can't decide on Yoshi's race. An elf samurai seems cool to me, but I'm really liking the Kitsune (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune) race in the Pathfinder SRD.

What Perform skill should Yoshi take if a bard?

What race are you visualizing Yoshi as?

Red Fel
2013-10-22, 03:38 PM
Hearing himself praised once too often might make him arrogant, not evil. What made him go from a loyal servant of the empire to a conniving, backstabbing bureaucrat bent on self-promotion?

I would argue that a great motivator for this character is not when accolades are heaped upon him, but when they aren't.
Imagine it, if you will. You dedicate your life and honor to the kingdom. You serve, you kill, you risk life and limb. When you return, you are adored. The people admire you. Children look up to you. Women desire you. The nobles open their doors to you. You are a member of society's highest echelons. People give things to you, do things for you, without you even having to ask.

And then one day, as you're walking down the street, you pass a fruit stand, and, without thinking, grab a nice, ripe plum. As you walk away, you hear, "Hey! You have to pay for that!"

A part of you - the part that once served - feels remorse. Of course you should pay. That's the law. But another part of you, the part that has grown accustomed to admiration and applause, the part that has learned to take things that are freely offered, is in shock. Who is this peasant who has dared to address you in such a manner? You turn on your heel, marching up to the suddenly terrified merchant with murder in your eyes. "Little man," you bellow, "do you have any idea who I am? What I have done for this country? Magistrates fawn over my every word. Nobles grant me audiences. Do you have any idea what I could do to you just for looking at me oddly?"

The man sweats, and trembles, as he realizes who he's addressing. "S-sorry s-sir," he mumbles, "Please, enjoy the fruit with my blessings... Perhaps you would like some more?"

Smiling with smug superiority, you take several of his finest plums. You pay him nothing. The experience of using your position, your rank and respect, to throw your weight around - it's intoxicating. And easy. Suddenly, you realize the truth of your own words. You could have anything you wanted, simply by knowing and speaking to the right people. You could have your own palace, servants, wealth... All by using your influence correctly. A new world of promise opens up to you.

And that is the day you become evil.
Or perhaps you want something more lawful, more honorable. Consider.
As above, you gave your life and your youth in service. And as above, you returned, to the accolades and adulation of the public. And as above, the nobles - to whom you once could only look up in awe - opened their doors to you.

And what you found within disgusted you.

These fools, these pompous, bloated, ignorant fools were ruining the kingdom. Their indulgent whims were wasting the people's money, their wasteful ways were weakening the military and rendering the kingdom - the kingdom to which you devoted life and limb! - a weak, fat, ignorant target of enemy nations. These fools were going to ruin everything, everything you had tried so hard to protect.

Somebody had to protect the kingdom from its people.

Somebody like you.

And that was the day you resolved to take the kingdom back from those in power, and rebuild it in the image you saw in your mind's eye. And why shouldn't you? These nobles had never known combat. They had never known service. You had. You deserved this. You were entitled to it.

The kingdom would be yours. And it would be the dawn of a glorious new day.
Like so.

As a race, I think it depends on the kingdom. You want him to be representative of the majority population. You want him to be able to pull off intimidating, but at other times you want him to be able to pull off inoffensive - after all, nobody would trust the vizier if he were a hulking, muscular brute, or a terrifying, horned demon. You want him to look completely harmless, until he wants to look otherwise.

Zovc
2013-10-22, 06:15 PM
Thanks, Red Fel. I like both of those a lot.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take your first example (the more selfish, chaotic one) and run with it!

Red Fel
2013-10-22, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Red Fel. I like both of those a lot.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take your first example (the more selfish, chaotic one) and run with it!

Sounds like you've got a plan. The thing to remember is that anybody can become evil; it generally doesn't happen overnight. It starts with small things, like the plum vendor example above. You then step it up, incrementally; this is the philosophy of the slippery slope. Your DM has asked for three "unforgivable" things your character has done. That example probably wouldn't count. But following it to its logical conclusion, you can imagine how the ravenous green-eyed monster would grow inside of the character.

I would love to hear where you go with this.