PDA

View Full Version : Identify-resistant magic item

Zorgoth
2013-10-22, 07:30 PM
I have a magic item in a game I am running, and I don't want the players to know what it does except for the fact that it an extremely evil enchantment-based item. Is there any mechanic already in the game that I can use to resist the full effect of the Identify spell, or do I just have to make one up?

tyckspoon
2013-10-22, 07:40 PM
Cursed items are resistant to Identify, allowing only a 1% chance per caster level to be correctly identified as cursed. The Magic Aura spell also has a chance of fooling an Identify spell, via the caster of the Identify (or similar examination, so this might also foil Analyze Dweomer) making a Will save against the effect. Combining the two is not foolproof, but is more likely than not to prevent accurate identification of an item, especially for characters who don't access to higher-level effects like Analyze Dweomer.

aeauseth
2013-10-23, 04:47 PM
Artifacts are resistant to identify. Magic Aura (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicAura.htm) might work for you.

holywhippet
2013-10-23, 07:11 PM
In 3.0 the Amulet of Inescapable Location could not be correctly identified by any spell. Both identify and analyze dweomer both would tell you it actually helps against scrying attempts against you.

They removed that for 3.5 though.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-10-23, 07:18 PM
In 3.0 the Amulet of Inescapable Location could not be correctly identified by any spell. Both identify and analyze dweomer both would tell you it actually helps against scrying attempts against you.

They removed that for 3.5 though.

No they didn't it says "It appears, to magical analysis, to prevent location, scrying or detection or influence by detect thoughts or telepathy." that would cover identify and Analyze Dweomer.

holywhippet
2013-10-23, 07:33 PM
No they didn't it says "It appears, to magical analysis, to prevent location, scrying or detection or influence by detect thoughts or telepathy." that would cover identify and Analyze Dweomer.

You could be right, the 3.0 description specifically said "Item identification attempts, including identify, analyze dweomer, detect magic, and so on, do not reveal its true nature." though.

Pickford
2013-10-23, 10:31 PM
holywhippet:

You could be right, the 3.0 description specifically said "Item identification attempts, including identify, analyze dweomer, detect magic, and so on, do not reveal its true nature." though.

That's not a could-be at that point. The new 3.5 phrasing is more inclusive than simply naming a couple of spells, it most certainly does include all those spells and more, now.