PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Vengeance Demon (Just for fun, Buffy fans invited)

MonkeySage
2013-10-22, 07:37 PM
I figured i'd have a little fun statting out vengeance demons from Buffy the Vampire Slayer(being quite a buffy fan myself), and here's what i've come up with so far, using the srd pages on Succubi and Solars as a guideline. What do you guys think so far? What should I change? What can I add? Any suggestions for the blank parts? I tried staying true to what I observed in the show...

For those unfamiliar with Vengeance demons, when a person(usually a woman) commits a great act of vengeance, they may receive a visit from the demon D'Hoffryn. D'Hoffryn will offer to turn them into a demon(almost like a job offer) capable of granting wishes for any mortal crying out for vengeance. Vengeance Demons pay these mortals a visit while appearing as they were before they became a demon. They'll talk to the mortal, goad them into coming up with some deliciously creative wish for the individual or group that wronged said mortal, then they'll grant that wish in usually the most gruesome way possible.

In the show. in addition to granting vengeful wishes, Anyanka has demonstrated supernatural strength, the ability to heal quickly, the ability to walk away from being impaled, and the ability to teleport at will.

Size/Type: Medium Outsider(Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar'ri)
Hit Dice: 19d8+95(196)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft.(6 squares)
Armor Class: 23(+5 Dex, +8 Natural)
Base Attack/Grapple:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: spell-like abilities, summon tanar'ri
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good and cold iron, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 20, telepathy 100 ft., Fast Healing 5
Saves: Fort , Ref , Will
Abilities: Str 12+8(20), Dex 14+4(8), Con 14+6(20), Int 14+4(18), Wis 16+2(18), Cha 16
Skills:
Feats: Persuasive
Environment: The Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating
Treasure:
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Spell-Like Abilities: At will - detect good, teleport without error (self +50lbs of objects only); 1/day Wish (can only be used in vengeance, when another person says "I Wish". Can only grant wishes that fall into their portfolio[ex: scorned women, abandoned children, etc])

Angelalex242
2013-10-23, 02:09 PM
I figured i'd have a little fun statting out vengeance demons from Buffy the Vampire Slayer(being quite a buffy fan myself), and here's what i've come up with so far, using the srd pages on Succubi and Solars as a guideline. What do you guys think so far? What should I change? What can I add? Any suggestions for the blank parts? I tried staying true to what I observed in the show...

For those unfamiliar with Vengeance demons, when a person(usually a woman) commits a great act of vengeance, they may receive a visit from the demon D'Hoffryn. D'Hoffryn will offer to turn them into a demon(almost like a job offer) capable of granting wishes for any mortal crying out for vengeance. Vengeance Demons pay these mortals a visit while appearing as they were before they became a demon. They'll talk to the mortal, goad them into coming up with some deliciously creative wish for the individual or group that wronged said mortal, then they'll grant that wish in usually the most gruesome way possible.

In the show. in addition to granting vengeful wishes, Anyanka has demonstrated supernatural strength, the ability to heal quickly, the ability to walk away from being impaled, and the ability to teleport at will.

Size/Type: Medium Outsider(Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil, Tanar'ri)
Hit Dice: 19d8+95(196)
Base Attack/Grapple:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Special Attacks: spell-like abilities, summon tanar'ri
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good and cold iron, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, spell resistance 20, telepathy 100 ft., Fast Healing 5
Abilities: Str 12+8(20), Dex 14+4(8), Con 14+6(20), Int 14+4(18), Wis 16+2(18), Cha 16
Skills:
Environment: The Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Challenge Rating
Treasure:
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

Spell-Like Abilities: At will - detect good, teleport without error (self +50lbs of objects only); 1/day Wish (can only be used in vengeance, when another person says "I Wish". Can only grant wishes that fall into their portfolio[ex: scorned women, abandoned children, etc])

Hit die is a little high...They're not Balor, ya know. Put Anyanka up against LOTR's Balrog and you see the problem. A vengeance demon should be more succubus class then Balor class, in that they're trying to 'seduce' people into thinking vengeful thoughts, rather then "YOU SHALL NOT PASS."

MonkeySage
2013-10-23, 03:33 PM
HD 6 then?
Wonder if I could pull off the wish ability that low... I suppose the wish is kinda limited, and the demon can't really grant her own wishes..

Angelalex242
2013-10-23, 03:49 PM
Monsters don't necessarily need to have the HD to back up their abilities. It's a demon, it's not a PC race. So it doesn't need to have lots of other powers to do what it does, nor does it need to be balanced in terms of the PCs trying to kill one. Just adjust the CR for its wish ability, and you're good.

MonkeySage
2013-10-23, 03:57 PM
That makes sense... hmm, well, i was putting more thought to the feats and skills she might have, but I'm still curious what you and other readers might suggest. Based on the above, that is.

Stake A Vamp
2013-10-23, 04:00 PM
1. I really like this (Big time buffy fan here)

2. i always saw them as more lawful evil, deals and laws, goading mortals to do evil, that is what devils do... just sayin'

MonkeySage
2013-10-23, 04:11 PM
With all suggestions taken into consideration so far, I've made the following changes, mainly to see what they'd look like:

Vengeance Devil
Size/Type: Medium Outsider(Lawful, Extraplanar, Evil, Baatezu)
Hit Dice: 6d8+24(52 hp)
Base Attack/Grapple:
Attack:
Full Attack:
Special Attacks: spell-like abilities, summon baatezu
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/good, See in darkness, immunity to fire and poison, resistance to acid 10 and cold 10, telepathy 100 ft., Fast Healing 5
Abilities: Str 12+8(20), Dex 14+4(8), Con 14+4(18), Int 14+4(18), Wis 16+2(18), Cha 16
Skills:
Environment: Baator
Challenge Rating
Treasure:
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancement:
Level Adjustment: