PDA

View Full Version : Betrayal Contingency Plans

Da'Shain
2013-10-22, 08:44 PM
So lately I've noticed that I do something in pretty much every game that I join: I plan how I would defeat each and every member of the party if I had to. In fact, if other people have built their characters already, the ability to defeat those characters is a factor in determining what I will play. Not THE factor, but a factor.

This is probably because my first major roleplaying experience was an epic evil D&D 3.5 campaign in which party betrayal was a very real possibility (surprisingly did happen but only involved two other characters duking it out over a treasure, no mass betrayal). It also likely owes something to Batman being one of my favorite characters. :smallbiggrin: So far, though, it's only really come in handy once. Granted, that once did allow my character to essentially "win" a campaign, but still ...

What I'm wondering is, how many other people do this? Do you think it's unhealthy for the group dynamic? If you have done so, how often has it paid off? Really, just stories of party betrayals or PvP over party actions would be interesting.

One Step Two
2013-10-22, 09:19 PM
At the moment though, I am playing in a Dragonlance game, my character is a Red Robed wizard, they're known for being neutral, keeper of balance sort of deals. The Solamnic knight in the party of course told me that since I wasn't a White robe (good casters), he didn't trust me as much, and that he'd kill me if I became a Black robe (evil casters).

My character has his own goals and is willing to sacrafice many things to see it through, so I've planned how to remove said knight, and those in the party who would support him, incase I need to find myself "falling" for my cause.

In other campaigns, I usually see where my shortcomings would be against other party members, incase of betrayl and plan accordingly. However, active planning incase I need to do betraying has only come up recently.

Long story short, regardless of offensive necessities, a Resilient sphere on myself, and a dimension door is my best bet, because nothing can catch me if I do that.

RochtheCrusher
2013-10-22, 09:19 PM
I plot my party's destruction all the time! Of course, I'm the DM. :-P

As a player, I really only start scheming against my party members when I have no choice. I was the lone Good character in a Ravenloft campaign, Cleric of Pelor, because they needed a healer and a radiant damage dealer. My DM gave me massive amounts of flack whenever they got away with capital E Evil schemes despite me, so eventually I upped my game.

When the fighter with his cool chain devil armor (imbedded in his skin) and soul sucking sword attacked the only town's only remaining defender (a fellow priest of my faith) for no reason, I exploited his low Will Save by use of Hold Person. Held him in place for 10 rounds and kept healing him while the good Father lay the smack down. Eventually, when I was assured he would not be killed, I stopped healing.

Of course, the fighter immediately raised his Will defense, in response to which I commented on "what a shame it would be if that chain devil armor of yours, and your skin, got Dismissed back where they belong."

I was the newbie of the party, he the seasoned veteran who had tormented me. It was glorious... until his character got eaten by a psychic tree.

Sith_Happens
2013-10-23, 12:24 AM
The longest-running campaign I've been in so far had a single less-than-trustworthy Evil Rogue (headed for Assassin) in the party. One session, around 5th or 6th level, the DM informed us OOC that the Rogue had recently shifted to Chaotic and that should any PvP occur in the campaign it would be allowed to run its course. Naturally, it was not long after that that I privately informed the DM that, given the potential enemies the party had previously made, my LG Wizard had decided to start sleeping with an audible Alarm and several Vigilant Slumber spells.:smallwink:

Right now I'm playing a Warblade, so naturally my plan in case of a backstab by anyone is "win initiative, hit with sword."