PDA

View Full Version : Unusual gestalt-like game; seeking input

Reality_Czech
2013-10-23, 12:13 AM
Hi all, I have a strange campaign I'm about to enter into and I'm looking for some input. The premise is this: your character dies and is relocated to hell where they can take the form of any devil whose HD does not exceed your character level. I'm a late starter in the campaign so I'm expecting to be around level 13 -15. I'd like to play a wizard and I'm leaning a bit toward a malconvoker-based build but I haven't completely committed to that yet. Based on those criteria does anyone have any big ideas on how to take advantage of this game world? Additional relevant rules: physical scores and (ex) abilities at character creation are lost, but mental scores and everything else is retained. I definitely favor wizards but am willing to be persuade that other opportunities are worth going after. Thoughts?

Fouredged Sword
2013-10-23, 07:35 AM
Ok, so you get free LA on one side? Max that out then.

Glabrezu is a good choice. Now, that gives you a 31 str and 31 con. I would look at then doing a nice gish build to complement that. Say...

Wizard 5 / Ruthgar 3 / Aburant Champion 5

This requires starting at ECL 12, and caps Abj Champ at ECL 13. Finish off with ardent savant or IoSFV.

Reality_Czech
2013-10-23, 04:40 PM
Yes, half the semi-gestalt is "free". I can take the form of any devil whose he does not exceed your character level. What book do I find Ruthgar in please?

Fouredged Sword
2013-10-23, 06:56 PM
Ruathar. :smalltongue:. Looks like my elven spelling leaves something to be desired.

It is a three level PRC that makes you an elf friend. You are there for the matrial weapons profs you get without painful prereqs or lost caster levels. The internet says Races of the Wild, pg 122.

You need a martial weapon prof to get into abjurant champion.

You could ALSO just be an elf and get the same profs. Grey elf seems a good choice for the +2 int.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-10-23, 08:02 PM
Ruathar. :smalltongue:. Looks like my elven spelling leaves something to be desired.

It is a three level PRC that makes you an elf friend. You are there for the matrial weapons profs you get without painful prereqs or lost caster levels. The internet says Races of the Wild, pg 122.

You need a martial weapon prof to get into abjurant champion.

You could ALSO just be an elf and get the same profs. Grey elf seems a good choice for the +2 int.

Outsiders already get martial weapon proficiency. It's part of the traits of the Outsider type.

Fouredged Sword
2013-10-24, 05:54 AM
That simplifies that then, but I was assuming more of a build a character, slap on outsider HD as retroactive gestalt rather than a true gestault build. Outsiders also get full BAB, so you can go back and take abjurant champion at 6th level and ardent savant at 11th. You can throw around +13 or so greater shields.

Ask your DM if you can research a vile version of luminous armor. Call it Armor of Darkness and make it vile in place of good.