PDA

View Full Version : Bahgan - Forces meet

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 01:06 AM
The desert Hobgoblin walled thorpe of Bahgan sits on the salt flats, smoke rising from several buildings. The Underdark link having been completely caved in and collapsed.

To the north are the forces of the Grove, just arriving in the settlement and about to enter the northern gates.

The vast hordes - literally thousand upon thousands of undead, hobgoblins and all manner of monstrosities of the Dark Empire come boiling up from the south.
Already in the settlement square landed Emperor Gareth riding his undead black dragon, the former Orc Warlord - now a wight - on a Skeletal Dragon and the former King of the Hobgoblins - now a swordwraith - also on a Skeletal Dragon. Flying overhead is a Madness Devil, it's random insane cackles filling the air.

drack
2013-10-23, 05:16 AM
Over the hills a small army arrives... If you could even call it that... A hundred savage looking scribes who look not to have bathed in years covered in bite and scratch marks climb awkwardly over the hill lead by a pretty woman in a red dress with a broad slit through her throat. Despite their awkward walk and lack of unity, something in their eyes tells you these are anything but green scroll-bearers.

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 11:10 AM
Is this same day?

Gaheris lands atop of Serathis and notes the newcomers with a raised eyebrow.

Turning to Tarkul he asks "You did not say anything about others?"

Staying on Serathis he nudges the beast forward towards the oncoming...army?

All creatures within 180 ft of Serathis must attempt a will save DC 23 or become panicked for [roll0] if 4 HD or below, creatures with 5 HD or above become shaken instead for [roll1].

He opens his arms out wide to the newcomers "Welcome! I was not expecting visitors!"

drack
2013-10-23, 11:22 AM
*rolls handful of D20s*
29 are panicking. I assume that they get a save each round to become immune for 24 hours?
The woman in the dress strides confidently forward, the skin around the clean slash through her throat bouncing and jostling with every step. Soon she comes within earshot, one hand dropping to a scroll on her hip, and the other to her hand, covering the cut. Her eyes bespeak a ruler, accustomed to obedience and confident in herself. Her speak however comes out guttered and uneven, contorted to a grotesque semblance of what it may once have been by the covered cut. "I am Granthar of The Darkened Grove, commander of my people. Tell me, who is it that thinks to stand between my people and our conquest?"

The others continue on, as if to encircle your forces.

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 11:37 AM
No, its for the 10 rounds no additional saves, those who saved are immune for 24 hours.

Gaheris turns his head to the side, this woman is attempting conquest? He smiled.

"Well met Granthar, it is an honor, I am Gaheris, Dark Emperor and Champion of Ta'nakk'k the Ancient and Vile."

He pauses for a moment as if thinking of a joke, a slight smile rising on his lips, it vanishes before he moves on.

"Who is standing between you and conquest? It would be the rightful rulers of this nation, Warlord Tarkul here" he motions to his right to the swordwraith on his skeletal dragon mount "was just showing me around."

drack
2013-10-23, 01:29 PM
She frowns slightly at this, though you can tell it isn't over the undeath of the hobgoblin king. And I suppose he has a place in this dark empire of yours now? Hardly waiting for your answer she survays your forces. I would hope this isn't the full of your army Emperor Gaheris. I see only men sitting on green thrones that have only begun to dry. You notice that she pronounced the title "emperor" without any emphasis as if acknowledging it as any other title from stable-muckier to cobbler.

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 01:49 PM
Nodding at the assessment "You see only the advance party, we did not expect anyone here, and yes they fly the Dark Empires colors as loyal vassals." he looks back south where the majority of his legions were trumbling along through the dirt towards them. "the size of my forces are not to be discussed with would be conquerors, however, I would be glad to sit down and talk of such things with allies, relay that to your Hands when next you meet. Now, if we are done, I ask that you leave."

With that the Madness Devil lands behind her with a *thump* and his mounts mouth begins to leak acid, it drips to the ground burning and sizzling as it does.

The obvious threat hanging in the air.

drack
2013-10-23, 01:55 PM
"Are we allies?" Granthar asks inquisitively. Idly she hands the scroll from her belt to Gaheris. The scroll itself seems to be a legal document sealing the peace between the Dark Empire and the Grove officially, and entitling the grove to the rights over all the hob-goblen lands that their forces reach first.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309610

"If I recall you just stated that your main force is still a ways out, is it not? This however is a full attack force for a battle of this magnitude."
Gesturing to the ring of men and women you notice that they've all taken stances as if to begin casting spells. Specifically it's an evocationist's stance.

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 02:04 PM
Gaheris reads the proffered scroll and promptly laughs.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

His laugh is deep and booming, dark and full of threat.

"This is no longer valid, it was written up under the former Emperor who was slain yesterday, I took the throne, and do not recognize this treaty, or the deal regarding the hobgoblins lands. I will be happy to sit down with a representative from the Grove to hash out another, but as of now, you are threatening me and mine, you must die, I will sacrifice you to the Vile one, may he devourer your soul!"

I'll pause here, as I'm not sure how Gai will want to do combat.
However, we can still talk, no need to turn into rounds if you want to keep on speaking.

drack
2013-10-23, 02:09 PM
The woman's eyes are unmoving. "So the empire values it's past negotiations so little? From what I heard from the hands you were said to be an honorable and upfront man. Were they truly so misleading?"

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 02:19 PM
Gaheris smiles.

"They were right, I still value those ideals, however the former Emperor was a fool, he died a fools death. I have taken control of the Empire, and will rebuild it into my own image, all prior agreements made by him are null and void, I plan on meeting with those who will to establish treaties." he pauses, a flash of annoyance, or pain? could it be pain, you are not sure, cross his face "But I will not be mocked, I will not be taken lightly. These settlements are mine by right, mine by combat of arms, and I mean to take them, I will not be swayed by the likes of you or your master. Think carefully, Granthar of The Darkened Grove, you speak for your country, you speak for your leader and your people, do you wish to stand against me this day? For I will march onto your nation and lay waste until the fall of winter comes, and it is far coming."

He looks away, "But WHY! why must we kill more people, why must we destroy and maim, kill and savage, why can we not live together, in harmony, balance from life and death."

He suddenly looks back with an evil grin. "Because I say so!" he says in a very low voice.

drack
2013-10-23, 02:28 PM
you saw so? :smallconfused:
:smalltongue:

At this, at last, you see the woman frown. "Were that I could" she replies coldly. "I have no authority to speak demands or barter, for that you'd need to speak to the Martyr in our lands. I can signal him to meet you at the edge of the woods if you'd like, though there he remains since there are not two to send to two disgruntled leaders." Slowly the frown vanishes. "I do however have the authority to defend myself and my people if attacked, and to remain here, or to eliminate your forces in such a case as you decide to blatantly disregard the peace between our great nations."

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 02:41 PM
need to wait for gai to respond to the my first question

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 08:27 PM
You two can handle this however you like. :smallsmile:
I'll just watch as a judge if need be on rules issues.

drack
2013-10-23, 08:30 PM
bel wanted to know if I arrive on the day of his attack. (IE if he has his spells back)

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 08:36 PM
Yeah both sides have all spells.

drack
2013-10-23, 08:45 PM
So I don't arrive the day they conquer it?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 08:48 PM
You had to secure the other Hobgoblin settlement first.

drack
2013-10-23, 08:52 PM
different army :smallwink:

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 09:41 PM
if we go into combat, will it be 3.5 or fob?
if it's 3.5, can we have a map? ( if we go into combat)

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 09:47 PM
Given there is a unit present it will be FoB.
So you will need to stat out the 3 characters on their mounts as FoB units.

drack
2013-10-23, 09:50 PM
It it's just three characters with mounts then 3.5 may be simpler. :smallconfused:

Bel, I presume you won't mind if I kill you here? :smallconfused:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 09:52 PM
You have an entire unit though. 71 level 1 warrior/adepts/experts/commoners plus 1 level 6 NPC class something as well with no magic items or spells above 2nd level.
Making it a FoB battle.

Want to just skip the combat and say they all die? lol.

drack
2013-10-23, 09:55 PM
Bel and his companions? Sure. I say 3.5 may be simpler since I'm not sure all of Bel's guys qualify as units, and because I'm not that opposed to normal D&D army tactics considering that I have under a unit of guys. :smallbiggrin:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 09:57 PM
Ooooooohhh.... They qualify as units alright. All of them are above 10th level and when combined with their mounts they would all have 6+ wounds each. They all have Spell Resistance and regeneration/fast healing and a ton of other stuff and immunities. Psionics, mass stack fear effects, the whole lot.

I would be surprised if your forces last even 1 round FoB. They would not even get to act in D&D before being dead...

But if you guys fight this out it would need to be FoB.

EDIT: Actuall Bel why don't you use the special crown with the Hobgoblin king and Dominate the entire enemy force at once with a Will DC 41 check to the entire enemy force or being dominated (ignoring undead immunity).
Use the Madness Devil to give them +0 bonus to will saves for auto fail on anything other than a natural 20...

Problem solved.

drack
2013-10-23, 09:59 PM
Mounts are separate units mate, and they and their mounts need to both individually be units to roll that way, otherwise any unit can insta-kill em. :smallcool:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 10:00 PM
See cavalry rules in the FoB book drack.

drack
2013-10-23, 10:06 PM
That cavalry are a second unit that costs what was it, 75% or 50%? They have separate wounds/AC though, and separate attacks if you take the feat for that.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 10:07 PM
Noo... I think you need to re-read the book again.

drack
2013-10-23, 10:09 PM
Heh, weird. Still their CR wouldn't be pooled to determine eligibility to be a unit. :smallconfused:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 10:14 PM
It isn't. The mounts on their own are above 10HD/CR and so are the riders.
If the riders dismount they would double the number of units. If you kill the rider on the mount the mount then becomes a new unit and you need to start all over again.

This is all the most badass things the Dark Empire has all together in the one hex... :smalleek:
With an army over 7000 strong arriving shortly after, some of it during the battle if there is one. lol.

drack
2013-10-23, 10:18 PM
Ah, gotya. But was the gap I saved with the unit so small that I saved mayhaps a round or two? :smallconfused:

So I don't arrive the day they conquer it?

You had to secure the other Hobgoblin settlement first.

different army :smallwink:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 10:22 PM
Your options at this point are to:
a: Retreat really fast.
b: Roll command check for initiative and hope you may last longer than 1 round.

drack
2013-10-23, 10:28 PM
I might even last 1.5 rounds :smalltongue: Nah, They'll go down, but roll out two poofy fog clouds into the sky rather then attacking. Perhaps I should have sent a unit better at combat then for the utility I had in mind. :smalltongue:

They could probably have done some good damage, but against CR10s it wouldn't be lethal, so I'll call my loss at fog clouds.

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 10:28 PM
I'm game to allow Drack to consider actions, at this point though I'm looking to using the dominate/madness devil combo...

Which hex are we in?

AS a player, I'm looking to take this settlement, I'm still fine to talk to your leader, but this settlement must be allowed to be taken first, I'm even game to leave your guys to go...

drack
2013-10-23, 10:29 PM
hob-gob desert hex.

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 10:31 PM
hob-gob desert hex.

I'm really not sure where that is, the map confused the hell out of me (the legend colors don't match up for me on the map)

drack
2013-10-23, 10:32 PM

Well you will recall what they "have authority" to do. :smalltongue: To remain, attack in their own defense, or to attack you if you downright deny their claim. They said you'd have to head north a ways to renegotiate. By the way, thinking to move martyr to the old hob-gob hilly hex outside the woods. They tend to... complicate matters. :smalltongue: Something about the culture shock being several times greater when you immerse yourself in their society then when you just talk to them

Edit: That aside though I did send an expendable unit, though I confess I've grown to like the leader despite her personality's radically different traits then most of the grove. :smalltongue:

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 10:37 PM
Gaheris does not recognize the authority, it was made before him by another council member for the former emperor...

I'm going to initiate attack with the Crown and madness devil.

those who fail will be forced to line up before the dragon.

Gai, do you want individual init?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 10:42 PM
Even if Dracks guys go first all they get off is the Fog cloud. Wont stop teleporting, see through the fog cloud mass dominate guy....

1/20 of Dracks guys will on average make the save. So 95 of them kneel, 5 of them run for their life with half a dozen fear effects stacked on them.

I guess the level 6 can roll 8 will saves, the first being to prevent domination, if she passes the rest will be to see if she runs for it in blind panic.. and then gets eaten by the Dragon. lol.
If she runs either way just chose who gets to auto-kill her. :smalltongue:

This would all be very different if the hands and the martyr were here.

drack
2013-10-23, 10:44 PM
Mind control? :smallconfused:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 10:48 PM
Yep. It ignores all immunities to.

drack
2013-10-23, 10:49 PM
Then, of the 72 still there, those unaffected would burn the unit to death. The Grove has a somewhat... different view on death as you may have noticed. :smallwink:

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 10:51 PM
Then, of the 72 still there, those unaffected would burn the unit to death. The Grove has a somewhat... different view on death as you may have noticed. :smallwink:

How would the commander and 3 of them burn them all?

drack
2013-10-23, 10:53 PM
If they're lining up all nice? Lots of burning hands. (The advantage to having a single small HD of HP is that you can self destruct with area effect low damage spells)

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 10:54 PM
Commander needs to roll a DC 41 will save or be dominated, then roll a bunch of 18+ DC will saves or flee in panic.
IF she passes all of them then her and a couple of level 1s can do something...

If they're lining up all nice? Lots of burning hands. (The advantage to having a single small HD of HP is that you can self destruct with area effect low damage spells)

Grats, you kill.. maybe 4 or 5 of your own men.... Assuming she makes her saves. :smallamused:

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 10:54 PM
Very well then, do you want to hand wave the rest? or fluff it up nice?

(You prevented my awesome sacrifice to the Vile god :smallfrown:)

Nevermind.

eDIT: possibly

drack
2013-10-23, 10:55 PM
Not sure why? The unit was just broken making them individuals who want to free each other into the familiar embrace of death. They've already died once, so the next one they don't need their corpses for. :smallconfused:

As the crown is used the whole unit files forward into a line. Just as they finish filing into place a wave of flame passes through the line, causing a chain of burnt husks to fall to the ground, with only a flame long enough to be seen for miles away to mark their passing.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 11:06 PM
Ahh well. works either way then. lol.

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 11:11 PM
Very well then.

Gai, do you want actions in the Red spire thread? (or a different one?)

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 11:18 PM
That thread is all good isn't it?

drack
2013-10-23, 11:19 PM
anywho take your time, but I figure eventually chatting with martyr afterwards may shed a bit of light. :smalltongue:

*says small prayer for dead expendable unit*

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 11:19 PM
That thread is all good isn't it?

well yeah, I was more asking about where to post next actions....:smallwink:

Guess the next actions aren't really to hard to figure out, I'll take this settlement, Garrison it (I'll PM you) and then move north to the next settlement.

drack
2013-10-23, 11:27 PM
Yup, often it's just whichever seems most appropriate. :smallsmile:

BelGareth
2013-10-23, 11:29 PM
In fact, before leaving he'll command the remains of the dead undead burned bodies be nailed to the trees of the forest nearby as a demonstration of faith to the Vile one and punishment to those who would stand in the way of the Dark
Empire.

I know, I know, digging myself a hole...

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 11:34 PM
Desert hex.. more nail them to cacti. But sure.. lol.

drack
2013-10-24, 05:15 PM
My peeps been crucified like roman slave-rebels. :smallfrown:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-24, 06:34 PM
You guys do realise you missed a golden opportunity for the "But that is not the deal we made! I changed it, pray I do not change it any more..." moment...

drack
2013-10-24, 06:37 PM
Well I was going for something akin to that when he said he overthrew the guy, though I don't think there ever was one quite meant for that. :smalltongue:

BelGareth
2013-10-24, 06:41 PM
I'm sure it'll come up when he meets whomever later on....:smallbiggrin:

drack
2013-10-24, 06:47 PM
Mayhaps. :smalldoubtful:

BelGareth
2013-11-26, 08:34 PM
I'll use this for now, as it's where he was before.

oh and Drack, unsub this thread!

The Dark Emperor was in a foul mood, 13 hours of....of...nothing!

He wanted to tear something apart, but his mind switched to something far more devious.

Summoning Shaerin he went about preparing her as a sacrifice, she was willing, once he had told her how she would be reborn....a Herald to her lord, it would be glorious, and a living sacrifice to the Vile god.

That evening, he had her lie down out in the open, the madness devil behind him cackled, as well as his personal bodyguard, Serathis stood implacable in the dark, the shadowy flicker of the fire barely lighting up his dark and sinister face.

He took Thanifex, now a wicked looked dagger, and cut her throat, she gurgled, and flailed, terror and agony coming to her, but not for long, her eyes glossed over and she passed.

Thanifex roared and cheered, and then it's work began.

The next morning, she arose with Tchar'Ka'Nak, she looked different, still in her form, but much...much different.

Not sure if the decay ability works on undead or not...so she'll just stay 20 ft away from him.

Gaiyamato
2013-11-26, 08:43 PM
Hmm good point. Yeah that would affect undead for sure.
Also if you are not interacting with Drack how about a new thread?

BelGareth
2013-11-26, 09:12 PM
very well, I'll make one late