PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hunter: Marid's Fall - IC

THEChanger
2013-10-23, 01:46 AM
Sunlight sparkled off the falls as the great orb rose over the mountains. The spires of metal and stone shone in the morning light like a thousand tiny suns themselves, reflecting the light of the golden fire. The city slowly began to rise. There was much work to be done. Wares to be sold, ore to be mined, prices to be set and items to be made. In an hour or so, the city would be a hive of activity. Such was the nature of the mountain city on the wild side of the world. Every daylight hour was taken advantage of, and every bit of manpower used. Soon, groups of adventurers would be leaving the city gates, as requests for materials were delivered. The wilds outside the city were dangerous, filled with animals of violent disposition, mistrusting of humans. Only the skilled dared venture outside the city walls.

As the sunlight began to pour through the window of Selene's room above her workshop, there came a loud rapping at her door. Someone apparently needed to see her very early in the morning.

As for Arbek...well. Who can really say where the young man would be at this hour?

EdroGrimshell
2013-10-23, 09:02 AM
Selene looked up from drawing her circle to summon Artificer's Boon, and looks out the window of her room to see who was there, then gets changed from her kimono to her work clothing; a simple shirt and leggings with a leather apron that would be hung up until she started working.

Once downstairs she heads to the door and let's the potential customer in, "Can I help you?" she asks simply.

Do note that she is only 19, 4 years into adulthood. In most medieval settings it would be unusual for her to be unmarried and owning a business.

Might be different for this setting but it'd still likely be unusual to see a "master smith" be a 19 year old woman (and 6th level is usually the point for mundane 'mastery' of a craft).

This could all be complete bull for this setting, I'm going with what is usually the case.

Jacior
2013-10-23, 07:42 PM
Arbek, much like he had for several weeks now, woke up from sleeping in a tree. It was something he and his uncle had started doing during his training and despite having a perfectly good bed available, he found it preferred the trees anymore. His armor hung from a branch higher up along with his sword, out of reach of things that might be on the ground. Of course, in the city, it just made him look like a weirdo.

Arbek had nothing really planned for the day, he hadn't for a span of days. He had been sworn off going into the wilds by his uncle until he'd gathered at least one hunting companion and he hadn't managed to yet. He was considering joining one of the hunting guilds that had formed at this point, but the prospect wasn't exactly appealing. So it was another day wandering the city looking for a partner and wishing he was out hunting.

He buckled his armor on and slung his sword across his back before jumping out of the tree and wandering aimlessly.

THEChanger
2013-10-23, 11:10 PM
Outside Selene's door was a man and a horse. The man was dressed in fine clothing, a fitted silk shirt with leather vest. Obviously a servant, but one to someone of wealth and high-standing. When Selene came to the door, the servant had a moment of surprise, but then bowed low. "Good morning, Miss. I come bearing a message for Master Whitehold. If you would be so kind as to fetch him?"

-----

Wandering down the street, Arbek found himself in one of the sections of the city where a large number of smiths plied their trade. Blacksmiths, armorsmiths, weaponsmiths, silversmiths, all manner of smiths. The ringing of hammers had begun, and this section of town was always rather noisy.

The horse has the symbol of a lord on its caparison. A DC 15 Knowledge Nobility/Royalty or a DC 20 History check will reveal the Lord's House.

Also, do Arbek and Selene know each other?

EdroGrimshell
2013-10-23, 11:40 PM
Outside Selene's door was a man and a horse. The man was dressed in fine clothing, a fitted silk shirt with leather vest. Obviously a servant, but one to someone of wealth and high-standing. When Selene came to the door, the servant had a moment of surprise, but then bowed low. "Good morning, Miss. I come bearing a message for Master Whitehold. If you would be so kind as to fetch him?"

The horse has the symbol of a lord on its caparison. A DC 15 Knowledge Nobility/Royalty or a DC 20 History check will reveal the Lord's House.

Also, do Arbek and Selene know each other?

Knowledge (History): [roll0]
"I am Selene Whitehold, Master of this establishment," Selene replies with a bow, then gives a wry smile "I get that mistake more often than I can count. If you'd like to come in and speak there's a ring to your left with a trough to tether your horse."

At this point in time no, it just so happens that the both of us decided to go with only recently being established in town (we talk over Skype and on an EduPad), with Selene only being in town for about a year now.

Actually, I'm going to set up an EduPad for this game and send you a link, it'll let us talk at the very least

THEChanger
2013-10-24, 12:51 AM
The young man-and he is young-began to stutter. "Oh! Um. My. My deepest apologies Mistress Whitehold. Or do you prefer Master? I. Ah." He turned and hooked the horse to the post, and then bowed to you. "Yes, thank you Master Whitehold."

The mark is the symbol of House Attar. Their current Lord is Lord Eshan, a man who possesses a fair amount of holdings outside the city on the plains. Farmland, for those brave enough to work it.

EdroGrimshell
2013-10-24, 12:59 AM
"Most simply call me Red," Selene says, thinking of the nickname she was given when she first arrived, it had annoyed her for some time, now she didn't mind so much, "please come in," she leads the messenger into her shop to a small sitting room where they could talk in private if someone came in.

Jacior
2013-10-24, 11:51 AM
Arbek walked confidently. Not slow, not fast, not on the balls of feet and not on his heel. He took each step planting his whole foot on the ground, claiming it for himself. Unfortunately, it was also so early that there wasn't much to do yet. Listening to the sounds of the forges warming up and the hammers swinging and clanging was always a comfort, even when he was little.

He kept walking, considering that maybe it was time for a new sword. It had been a while and this one was growing too light for his tastes. He'd always liked a heavier weapon. Arbek kept an eye out for a weaponsmith then, he'd see what it'd cost to get a new one made.

THEChanger
2013-10-27, 05:19 AM
The messenger, somewhat nervous still, followed and took his seat. "Red. Okay. Um." He cleared his throat, and produced a parchment from his bag. "His Lordship Marcus Attar, son of Eshan Attar, wishes to commission a blade from you. His Lordship requires a suitable weapon to take part in the hunt of the large monsters which have begun to plague his father's lands. The Lord Marcus is skilled with the longsword, and is prepared to pay a sum of five thousand gold pieces for the construction of a weapon of high quality. The Lord Marcus does have an additional request, and an additional form of payment, but he requests your discretion in this matter, as the knowledge you are about to receive has not yet been made public."

----

Many signs swung in the soft breeze which floated down the street. There were plenty of weaponsmiths to choose from. Arbek noticed, however, a horse with an orange and green caparison in front of one shop. The horse seemed somewhat agitated.

EdroGrimshell
2013-10-27, 08:48 AM
"You have my discretion, I will not reveal anything that is spoken of in this room unless I receive permission from Lord Marcus himself," Selene replies, this was an interesting order, especially for coming to one so new in the area as herself, "I will need to know the variety of creature he wishes to combat, of course, as well as what he is willing to pay for a blade."

Jacior
2013-10-27, 11:33 AM
Arbek looked at the horse curiously. He knew little of convention, but recognized the fact that a hunter wouldn't dress up a horse in such a way. But that left him wondering who exactly would do that. A nobleman perhaps? They pay for only the good stuff, so maybe this was the right place to get himself a new blade. That was easily decided! Any place fit for a nobleman to shop was decent enough for his own needs. Not that he didn't half expect the shop to be more a producer of decorative pieces, but anyone on this side of the mountain was usually serious about hunting the beasts in the wilds.

Arbek walks up slowly to the horse. "Shhhh, calm down. It's ok." It wasn't safe to leave horses riled up like this where they might kick someone. "It's ok." He pets the horse on the nose if he thinks it safe enough and heads inside the shop, banging the door open. "Hello? Anyone here? If you're not, you shouldn't leave the door unlocked." He yells into the shop, despite its size.

THEChanger
2013-10-30, 12:59 AM
The messenger nodded, and withdrew a second object from his bag. It could be nothing else but a tooth-a tooth the size of his arm. "The Attar family has recently uncovered a workable mine just outside their estate. Iron ore, and some veins of what may be adamantine lay within. As do these." The finding of a mine is significant. The Spine of the World had been mined of most of its metal that could be reached safely from the eastern side. While mines still operated across the Spine, getting quality iron to Marid's Fall could be expensive, and sometimes dangerous to the miners. New mines in the wilderness would be a valuable resource indeed. "Lord Marcus wishes the hilt of his blade to incorporate these teeth into the design. Sadly, this is the only one we possess currently, and is to be displayed in Lord Eshan's home. If you would be willing to undertake a journey to the mine to retrieve another, with some assistance provided by His Lordship, certain arrangements could be made regarding providing you access to the metal within. Lord Marcus also wishes to stress that knowledge of the mine, and what it contains, has not yet been made public. It is imperative that the rumors of great beasts remain-"

It is at this moment Arbek banged the door open.

---

Brighton had yesterday received the summons to be at the city home of Lord Marcus Attar this morning. An offer of employment, possibly on a semi-permanent basis, was to be made.

EdroGrimshell
2013-10-30, 11:27 AM
Selene looks up, "You have my interest," she says, "I'll keep my word and keep this knowledge to myself," she stands and bows, "I am sure Lord Marcus awaits your return. I will gladly accept his offer and hope to have his patronage in the future should our arrangement go well."

Selene returns to the front of the shop, leading the messenger with her, and sees Arbek just as he makes his statement, "This is a shop, having the door locked would be counterproductive to the business," she says with a wry smile, she then turns to the messenger, "I assume I'll hear from you again once Lord Marcus has a reply?" she asks him.

Note: Selene's shop would have various puzzles, alchemical items, swords in display cases that showed traps or special features, as well as normal blades in the back of the shop that you can see from the front.

Jacior
2013-10-30, 03:30 PM
Arbek bares his teeth slightly, unconsciously. "It would be different if you had been in the room. But you weren't to be seen. You could have stepped out for... I'm arguing. My uncle says I need to work on that. My... apologies." He seemed reluctant, but sincere. "I'm looking for a new sword. Bigger than the one I have. This one is getting too light." He motions towards the greatsword on his back.

"I'm also looking for at least one hunting partner, if you happen to know anyone out looking for another. I've been stuck here for too long, after I was sworn not to go out by myself." He grins suddenly. "I want to go find one of those giant monsters that's got everyone up in a panic."

EdroGrimshell
2013-10-30, 04:18 PM
Selene raises an eyebrow before looking at the messenger then back, "I can make the sword, an elven court blade or a fullblade would be the only ones I know of that could rival a greatsword, though I believe you'd favor the fullblade given your build."

She glances at the messenger again, "if you are looking for a partner, I've been looking for one as well. If you wouldn't mind I'd be interested in getting a read on your skills once specifics for your sword are finished."

She then addresses the messenger, "Can you please ask Lord Marcus if he would be adverse to me bringing someone along with me? I have been speaking with a few individuals as of late about accompanying me on prospecting expeditions, if one proves themselves I would like to bring them along for a test," she says quietly, so Arbek wouldn't hear her.

Ziegander
2013-10-31, 05:40 PM
Yesterday
It had been snatching up calves and foals and all manner of small livestock for weeks now. Brighton didn't know what it was, but it was heavy, judging by the markings it left behind. Markings, not precisely tracks. Some prints, perhaps, but half-mangled by the dragging of either a tail or the farm animals themselves. The hunter couldn't be sure what he was dealing with, but he came prepared. Enough explosive arrows to bring down a Frost Worm, as well as the magic to be sure they'd strike true. Brighton Calagdh took few chances on his hunts.

After hours of trudging through the wilderness a few miles outside the city though, Brighton had decided it was time to pack it in for the day. He'd gotten himself thoroughly filthy enough he thought. He sniffed the air, sighed, and headed back. He didn't have a home of his own in the city just yet, so he stayed at a local inn, for a few silver pieces a night. They were beginning to be upset by the amount of dirt and other nastiness he often came back with, and the squalor he usually left his room in. Sure, he thought, let them try to clear the wilds of monsters.

He ordered some meat and a meager onion broth to wash it down, and headed to his room. As he was removing his dirty clothes, he noticed the letter sitting on his dresser. Suddenly he bristled, and searched the room. Someone's been in here, he thought angrily. After finding whatever he could, he sat down to read the letter. Lord Marcus Attar... hm.

Take 10 + 12 modifier = 22

Knowledge (Local) [roll0]
Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) [roll1]

Today
Brighton rose with the dawn this morning and checked with the local farmers to see if he could uncover any new information about the creature he had hunted yesterday. After that, he headed out for this Marcus Attar's residence. He expected it shouldn't be too hard to find, a lord and all.

Ziegander
2013-10-31, 05:45 PM
Whoops, forgot my gather information check with the farmers regarding the creature.

Check: [roll0]
# of hours: [roll1]

THEChanger
2013-11-04, 03:39 AM
The messenger was obviously startled by Arbek's sudden and loud entrance. But he bowed to Red. "Lord Marcus will get in touch with you shortly, likely through similar means. As for additional members of the expedition, while Lord Marcus would like to keep the exact nature of this journey known to as few people as possible, he leaves it to your discretion as to how you find this tooth. Compensation cannot be guaranteed for additional members, however." With that, the messenger tipped his cap to Arbek, and departed.

---

Lord Marcus Attar lived on the second highest ring of Marid's Fall, in a stately, though small, home. As his family's more permanent residence was outside the city, one of the few residences that were, Lord Marcus' home here was seldom filled. Today, however, a guardsman waited at the gates, indicating that His Lordship was, in fact, home. By showing the letter he was given, Brighton was quickly ushered into a small waiting room outside of the Lord's study. A servant politely informed the hunter that His Lordship was just finishing up with a prior meeting. "If there is anything I can get for you while you wait, sir, please do not hesitate to ask."

Your room was untampered with.

Marcus Attar is the first-born son of Baron Eshan Attar. The Attar family was one of the first to make a permanent residence across the Spine of the World, and is also one of the few with land outside Marid's Fall. They possess a great deal of farmland-the farmland, in fact, that you've been traipsing about as of late.

The farmers are, for the most part, tight lipped about the subject. No one seems to have seen or heard the beast, and most are of the opinion that it is simply a pack of wolves that have come into the area. One drunken old coot informed you in no uncertain terms that it was the spider's fault, but you have found no evidence to support an arachnid root to the problem of the missing livestock, nor, in fact, that the old man was referring to that particular problem in the first place.

Jacior
2013-11-04, 04:53 PM
"I've never seen a fullblade before. Never really even heard of one. But I saw a court blade once in my youth. I thought they were just ancient artifacts. Didn't know anyone was still making them." Arbek shrugs. "Whatever you think is best. I'm no smith." He chuckles. "I'd settle for just making my sword heavier."

Arbek nods, a short violent motion. "I understand. Knowing who you're working with is important." He stands to the side as the messenger leaves, watching him with scrutiny. "I feel like I walked in on something." He looks back at the smith girl. "Did I?"

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-04, 07:53 PM
"Only the end of a deal with Lord Marcus," Selene replies, "a commission for a longsword with an extra requirement," she then turns her attention to Arbek's sword, "Now, for your sword, I'll need to know how you fight as well as the balance of your existing sword," she extends a hand, "May I?" she asks.

Jacior
2013-11-04, 08:43 PM
Arbek shrugs. "Lordlings. Not really my thing." He grabs the blade and twists it, popping it out of its catches. "Be my guest." He swings it around and presents it grip first to the smith girl.

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-04, 09:35 PM
Selene takes the sword, and gets a feel for its weight, balance, and edge, doing some stances and swings with the blade to get the hang of it, "a little top heavy, it needs a slightly heavier pommel to balance it. Otherwise it's a rather well-made blade. I prefer my katana, but it's a fine weapon," she hands it back to Arbek, "if you'll give me a few minutes to prepare, I would like to see how well you handle the blade."

Jacior
2013-11-04, 09:53 PM
"It suits my style for it to be top heavy. Never failed me before." Arbek takes the sword back and swings it once in a circle before returning it to the clips that held it to his back. "Take all the time you need. I've got no place to be."

Ziegander
2013-11-05, 11:25 AM
Brighton eyed the servant with a wary bemusement before looking around the room to get a better bearing on his situation. A little caution never killed anyone. In fact, often, quite the opposite. He made note of all entrances and exits to the room he was seated in, and then narrowed his gaze, searching for traps and secret doors, if there were any to find.

As the servant was about to leave the room, the Hunter called out to him, a mocking smirk on his face, "There is something you can get me. Bring me the spider that's been causing all this trouble."

Tried to roll a search check, screwed it up. Rolling it in a new post.

Ziegander
2013-11-05, 11:28 AM
For doors and secret doors [roll0]
For traps [roll1]

THEChanger
2013-11-06, 10:33 PM
There do not appear to be any traps or secret doors in this room. Just the door you entered, the door the servant left through, and the door to Lord Marcus' study. Which, as you finished your inspection, swung open. An old, bent man in priest's robes exited the study with a bow towards the Lord. He looked you over as he passed, and smiled. "Unless my old eyes deceive me, you'd be a hunter of the big game, in the wilderness. I remember when I used to travel the trails in search of a challenge."

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-06, 11:33 PM
"It suits my style for it to be top heavy. Never failed me before." Arbek takes the sword back and swings it once in a circle before returning it to the clips that held it to his back. "Take all the time you need. I've got no place to be."

Selene bows to him before heading upstairs again, finishes her summoning circle, and binds Artificer's Boon. She then binds Serpent Dream, and finally Lord of Blades as her reserve spirit. She wouldn't need longer than the two minutes it would be active to get a read on Arbek. She also puts on one of her cheaper kimonos with her chain shirt underneath. It was something that caused people to underestimate her, which she used to her full advantage.

She then returns downstairs with her sword in hand, still sheathed. She locks the door and puts the sign to closed before leading Arbek to a training area behind the shop, a simple field with a few posts of wood, that's it.

"Whenever you are ready," she draws her sword, a steel blue katana of impressive quality, and prepares to call on the Lord of Blades to give her the combat skill she'd need for this fight.

Ziegander
2013-11-07, 04:53 PM
There do not appear to be any traps or secret doors in this room. Just the door you entered, the door the servant left through, and the door to Lord Marcus' study. Which, as you finished your inspection, swung open. An old, bent man in priest's robes exited the study with a bow towards the Lord. He looked you over as he passed, and smiled. "Unless my old eyes deceive me, you'd be a hunter of the big game, in the wilderness. I remember when I used to travel the trails in search of a challenge."

Brighton stood to his feet, looking annoyed, "It's not a challenge I'm searching for, old man, it's a gods damned monster." As he shouldered past the priest, Brighton added, "It always is."

Entering Lord Marcus' study, with no regard for whether this was appropriate or not, Brighton looked around again, as was his custom, sizing up his surroundings, making split-second danger assessments, and seeking items of value.

[roll0]

"Marcus, I presume. You had an offer for me."

Jacior
2013-11-07, 08:06 PM
Arbek milled about the shop while the blacksmith girl went back upstairs. The shop was clean, if small. She certainly seemed to know her stuff, if the edges on some of the blades were any indication. She didn't know anything about the big swords though, nothing like this one anyway. She'd learn the balance for different people well enough. Or at least his balance if he decided to use her as his personal smith.

Arbek follows her out of the store, standing by as she locks the door and then out behind the shop where she kept a modest training area. "How did you manage to afford enough space for this out here? You must get a lot of lordlings in your shop!" He watches her draw her sword before blinking. "Wait, you want me to attack you? I thought you'd have a training dummy or something." He shakes his head. "I can't hold back, you sure you want to try this? You could seriously get hurt."

"I'm quite capable of fighting myself, making swords would be worthless if I didn't know how to use one," with that said, Selene invokes the Lord of Blades causing her eyes to turn white, "and I'm not without my own tricks to aid in battle."

Arbek draws his own blade. "Hope you have a good doctor around here." He mutters under his breath.

THEChanger
2013-11-09, 02:16 AM
Marcus' study was a small room, dominated by the oaken desk in the center. The walls were lined with shelves, containing trophies. Animal tusks, a stuffed tiger head, rare gems, and what appeared to be a preserved eye in a jar. A macabre collection, but one most certainly worth a large sum. Marcus himself was a muscular man, dressed in a fine, tailored suit. He smiled as Brighton showed himself in. "Yes, I am Lord Marcus. Shut the door, if you please. Can I offer you a drink? Some brandy? Or perhaps you are more of a rum man?" Regardless of Brighton's answer, Lord Marcus rose from his seat behind the desk, and came over to shake his hand. "So. You are the Hunter who has been working in my father's lands. I must say, the stories paint you as somewhat...taller." Lord Marcus is a little taller than Brighton, and much broader. His hands are rough, as of someone who has worked.

Jacior
2013-11-09, 08:11 PM
Later in the morning...

Bathing was one thing that Arbek had missed in the wild. Mostly because regular bathing was something his uncle enforced and streams and creeks were typically cold and dirty. Even relatively warmer water was a blessing. He came out of Selene's bathing room wrapped in a rather ragged towel he had pulled from his backpack. He walks out into the main shop area in the towel and leans up against a wall. "So, where were we?"

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-09, 10:54 PM
The moment Arbek comes out of the bathroom, he's handed a white robe, "wear this until your clothes are cleaned, please," she's blushing slightly as she says it, despite her calm demeanor.

Once Arbek's in the robe and not in just a towel she'll reply, "We were going to talk about your sword and the possibility of working together in your hunts," she replies.

"Lord Marcus has given me an opportunity I plan to take, I'd like to ask you to come along to aid in completing my end of the deal, which involves a hunt in and of itself. If you do, I'll offer you the first sword I make you for free, and subsequent ones at a discount. It will also allow you to see how I handle a hunt so we can see if it is possible to continue as partners. Is this an acceptable offer?" Arbek would notice that she spoke in a more refined manner when talking about a deal, but was more relaxed when speaking normally or when in battle, as he may have noted earlier.

Ziegander
2013-11-10, 12:32 AM
Lord Marcus Attar strode over to the hunter to shake his hand. But Brighton Calagdh did not have many dealings with lords or ladies, and preferred it that way. He did not shake the lord's hand. Instead he snorted; showed his teeth in a sudden, dark smile.

"You think you're better than me," he said after a moment, "Knew I shouldn't have come here." And with that said, he turned to leave. Just as he reached the door he stopped a moment. "That's a fancy coat you're wearing. Maybe they'll bury you in it after the monsters out there have got you."

THEChanger
2013-11-10, 12:57 AM
"You can't find it, can you?" The smile on Lord Marcus' face was gone. His hands held behind his back, he shook his head. "You've spent months out in the wilderness, and you still can't find the creature you seek."

Ziegander
2013-11-10, 01:23 AM
Brighton stopped cold in his tracks, a bad taste washing over his mouth. His back turned to the lord, he snarled, clenched his right fist audibly, and let out a long, hot breath. After a moment he turned around once again to face Lord Marcus.

"So why don't we skip the small talk and get down to business?" the Hunter replied at last.

THEChanger
2013-11-10, 01:38 AM
The Lord went back behind his deck and pulled a massive tooth from his coat. It was easily the size of Brighton's arm, curved inward slightly. The tooth of a monster. "There is a mine just outside my father's farmlands. On a journey to evaluate the mine's worth, I discovered a few of these within. I suspect they belong to the beast you seek. I am currently putting together an expedition to return to the mine, and recover more examples of this tooth. I would like you to serve as the expedition's guide. It is likely you will find the monster to whom the teeth belong within. You will be compensated for your time. Five thousand gold, and rights to the corpse of the creature. All I ask is that you bring my agents there and back, and that the creature's existence is kept as secret as you can manage."

Ziegander
2013-11-11, 12:54 PM
"A mine..." Brighton whispered, "The tooth. May I examine it?"

THEChanger
2013-11-11, 01:31 PM
"By all means." Lord Marcus slid the tooth across the desk. More of a fang, the thing was hard, but light, and further inspection revealed it to be hollow.

Jacior
2013-11-11, 02:32 PM
He grins and puts the robe on. "I forget modesty, it seems. It wasn't a big deal for me in my youth." He makes sure everything is nice and covered before continuing. "Good think we're about the same height."

"Any chance I get to go hunt, I'll take. You don't have to bribe me to go along with you. I will warn you that you favor one side too much. And you're too forward with your attacks." Arbek says with a grunt. "As long as we don't die, I see no reason we couldn't be partners. Though it does mean I'll be dealing with lordlings more often. Every Brightside has a darkside I suppose."

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-11, 02:58 PM
"It's more payment for the service, and to increase both of our chances of survival, than it is a bribe. Though I will admit I've had a fair number turn down simply because I'm as young as I am and a woman, no matter how well I may fight," Selene replies.

"And I thank you for the advice, it's a problem all einhander's face, unfortunately, wielding only one sword without a shield or second weapon lends itself to that sort of bad habit, unfortunately. As for directness, I've never been formally trained, I practice with my swords and learn from the spirits I bind."

She then gives a wry smile about the lordlings quip, "they provide valuable resources, that's the big thing for me. Some are charming, some are idiots, they range as much as normal people, it's the younger ones you have to watch for, they're the ones that haven't learned that their noble status doesn't mean everything and that they can't always get their way. They're the ones that give nobles a bad name. And before you ask, I'm not a noble, but I've had friends among them."

Ziegander
2013-11-11, 04:27 PM
Knowledge (Arcane): [roll0]
Knowledge (Nature): [roll1]
"And what about these agents of yours? What is their role in all this? Who are they?"

THEChanger
2013-11-13, 03:09 AM
The fang was definitely hollow, and definitely designed to hold something. A poison delivery system most likely, similar to those employed by snakes and spiders. The outside of the fang had several scourge marks across it, as though something corrosive had passed over it many times. It could be the mark of some acidic substance expelled from the creature. Assuming the creature was of similar make to a snake or a spider, it would likely be enormous-easily bigger than a horse, and possibly reaching the size of an elephant. Such a creature could easily have been responsible for the livestock stolen. Lord Marcus continued. "There is a smith in the city, one Selene Whitehold, commonly referred to as Red. I desire to commission a sword from her, and for her to use one of these teeth in its design. Unfortunately, this means that a second tooth will have to be procured, as this one belongs to my father, and is merely lent to me. I also wish to see what Selene thinks of the mine which has been discovered. As a smith, she may have more insight into the quality of metal which can be found there. In addition, I am sending my personal sage and confidant Eric Fletcher with you, purely in an advisory role. He was a hunter in his youth, and has a vast store of knowledge, and some skill in the healing arts. I believe you met him already as you entered." Lord Marcus smiled. "So. Interested?"

Eric will be a player resource. Consult him or not as you see fit. He'll play as much of a role in this first adventure as you wish. I'm mostly concerned that your group lacks much in the way of healing ability, so Eric will have that if necessary. After this preliminary hunt, I'll have a better idea of if he should become a more permanent fixture, or if changes need to be made to the structure of the hunt, or what. But I would hate for a TPK on the first outing.

Jacior
2013-11-13, 02:26 PM
"The females of many species are more dangerous than the males. I would be a fool to dismiss you based on that." Arbek grins at her. "Plus, you're very pretty and that is something the wilds lack." He stretches his arms above his head.

"You think I was "formally trained?" Hah! My uncle took me into the wilds after a month of sword practice and threw me into fighting. Formality is not the Blackiron way! You fight or you die." He shrugs. "But that was my childhood. Can't say I didn't like it."

Arbek keeps quiet when she talks about the nobles. "I don't care if they're smart or stupid. My issue is they're soft and they act like the world owes them something." He shakes his head. "I won't say anything else of the matter. If we're to be partners, you can deal with all that. You're more suited to it than I am. In exchange, we hunt together and I teach you to fight. You're not suited for my style, but I know several that could work." He extends his hand. "Or at least work on refining yours. Sound like a deal?"

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-13, 03:26 PM
Selene nods, "it's a deal. I'll be receiving word from Lord Marcus soon about a hunt he wants me on. It'll let us know how well we work together once we get into a hunt."

Jacior
2013-11-13, 05:54 PM
Arbek looks down at his hand. "I know I'm not good on the whole manners thing, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to shake a hand when offered."

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-14, 12:32 PM
"I thought you said you weren't one for formality?" Selene asks playfully as she takes the offered hand, "a handshake to close a deal is a formality."

Jacior
2013-11-14, 02:27 PM
Arbej grins at her. "I said formal training. I'm not so bad I don't know some formalities."

EdroGrimshell
2013-11-14, 02:58 PM
"I got that from the dealing with nobility part, not the lack of formal training," Selene says, "your clothes are hanging right now, they'll be dry soon. Now, I need to open shop until Lord Marcus's messenger comes here, I'm already behind on that front."