PDA

View Full Version : magic items that emulate prohibited school?

Shadowbite
2013-10-23, 02:43 AM
My wizard has illusion as one of her prohibited schools, could I still make use of a Ring of Invisibility or am I unable to use one?

eggynack
2013-10-23, 02:49 AM
You're fine. The only restrictions based on a prohibited school are that you can't cast spells from it, or use wands or scrolls based on that school. A ring of invisibility is neither a wand, nor a scroll, so you can use it just fine.

Malroth
2013-10-23, 03:00 AM
however if you have the Use Magic Device Skill you can fool the scroll into working like a rogue does.

TuggyNE
2013-10-23, 03:30 AM
You're fine. The only restrictions based on a prohibited school are that you can't cast spells from it, or use wands or scrolls based on that school. A ring of invisibility is neither a wand, nor a scroll, so you can use it just fine.

Well, no spell trigger/spell completion items. That also knocks staffs out of the running.

eggynack
2013-10-23, 03:34 AM
Well, no spell trigger/spell completion items. That also knocks staffs out of the running.
I don't know if that's necessarily true. The wording of specialization explicitly calls out wands and scrolls, and leaves the general case of spell trigger/completion items out of it.

TuggyNE
2013-10-23, 04:59 AM
I don't know if that's necessarily true. The wording of specialization explicitly calls out wands and scrolls, and leaves the general case of spell trigger/completion items out of it.

*calmly suppresses initial reaction*

I have seldom been more tempted to yell rude things at whoever wrote up the Wizard class. Seriously. How do you mess something so simple up in such a blatantly obvious and atrociously inelegant way? Staffs are right there! :smallfurious:

Crake
2013-10-23, 09:37 AM
*calmly suppresses initial reaction*

I have seldom been more tempted to yell rude things at whoever wrote up the Wizard class. Seriously. How do you mess something so simple up in such a blatantly obvious and atrociously inelegant way? Staffs are right there! :smallfurious:

It probably has something to do with staves being able to have spells from different schools, and it's kinda weird to say "you can only use PART of a staff"