PDA

View Full Version : (PF) What Spell do you use with the Spell Perfection Feat

Katana1515
2013-10-23, 04:41 AM
Hey their playgrounders!

I have only really just registered the existence of the spell perfection feat (rules found here http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spell-perfection) now obviously this is a trick reserved for high levels since it requires 15 ranks in spellcraft but i wanted to ask which spells and metamagic combo's people thought worked best with this feat.

My first thought was creating a really tough save or die using flesh to stone, greater spell focus transmutation and persistant spell. I suppose you could also use heighten spell as well if you really wanted to get the save DC up.
but thats just a first thought I wanted to see what the minds in the playground have cooked up?

Thank in advance

WinWin
2013-10-23, 04:50 AM
Echoing Spell is a start. Especially if you were going to prepare the spell multiple times anyway.

Corlindale
2013-10-23, 06:43 AM
Either you use it for something you want to crank up to absurd DCs (like Flesh to Stone) OR you use it for something you want to quicken for free (up to 5th level). Ideally a spell you'd be happy to cast every single combat round.

You can also use it to pump CL with Spell Specialization, which might be useful for very CL-dependent stuff like Holy Word or Greater Dispel.

I think that's some of the main options.

Ninjaxenomorph
2013-10-23, 07:08 AM
If you are a magus, using it for a free Maximize on Shocking Grasp or Vampiric Touch is nice. Especially if Shocking Grasp is already intensified. And, since you have the free Metamagic, if you have Elemental Spell, you can trade the Maximize for being another energy type.

Negher
2013-10-23, 08:41 AM
I've a crossblooded sorcerer with orc and efreeti bloodlines and I'm aiming to spell perfection at 15 (i'm 6 now, very far from the target).
My idea is to use fireball as iconic spell using this metamagic feats:
Elemental spell
Selective spell
Empower spell
Echoing spell
Intensified spell
Quicken spell
Maximize spell

Not all of the feats are taken by level, but fireball can be modified with cheap lesser metamagic rods.
With magical lineage trait you can arrive at 10 total level to cast for example:
Quicken empower selective fireball
Echoing maximize elemental fireball or the definitive....
....Maximize empower intensified selective fireball!!
FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!!

grarrrg
2013-10-23, 04:57 PM
Really?
No one has mentioned Quickened Paragon Surge abuse yet?

Raven777
2013-10-23, 07:09 PM
I like it on Shadow Evocation. Nothing quite like the smell of a Spell Focus + Greater Spell Focus + Spell Specialization + Spell Perfection + Magical Lineage + Umbral Arcana + Arcane Arcana + Tenebrous Spell + Dazing Spell + Persistent Spell + Intensified Spell Dragon Breath in the morning. Smells like bacon.

For an Evoker, it would probably be pretty swell on Chain Lightning.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-10-23, 10:07 PM
My favorite: Backporting the feat into 3.5 (or importing the important ingredients to PF) to use it with Silent Image on a Shadowcraft Mage. Use your free metamagic with Heighten Spell so you can cast 9th-level spells from your 1st-level spell slots (with no uses/day limitation). Probably far from the most broken thing you could do with the feat if all 3.5 material is on the table though.

Sayt
2013-10-23, 10:31 PM
Depending on the campaign, I'd probably go Fey Bloodline Sorcerer, and choose Dominate Person or Monster, get secret signs and spell focus/greater focus enchantment.

Extended Persistant Silent (Heightened?) Dominate. Then go shopping for minions. Maybe even Monarchs, depending on the setting. As a bonus, Silent + Secret Signs means that you have a decent chance of not being detected as the person enchanting them.

Cambrian
2013-10-23, 10:48 PM
Shadow Conjuration. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shadow-conjuration)

Just a utility box that works well with many MM feats depending on what spell is imitated.

Corlindale
2013-10-24, 03:15 AM
Quickened Heroic Finale on a Bard is also a fun trick, and one of the few ways to really mess with action economy in PF.

If you have a performance going, you can cast heroic finale with a swift action, take 2 standard actions and reactivate performance with your move action. Lather, rinse, repeat. (It works because you count as your own ally according to the official FAQ - usually that distinction is not relevant for Heroic Finale - but with Quicken it actually makes sense).

You can of course also use it to grant an ally two standard actions on your turn - useful to let your battlefield control wizard get off 3 big spells in round 1 rather than 1. You can't do that two turns in a row, though - since you have to do swift (quickened heroic finale), move (reactive performance), standard (heroic finale).

Keneth
2013-10-24, 06:57 AM
Firstly, Heighten Spell can't be reduced by Spell Perfection.

As far as spells go, I've used it with shocking grasp on my magus and (mythic) fireball on my sorceress, both to great effect.

The spell obviously multiplies the potential of any good spell though, so it's hard to go wrong.

ericgrau
2013-10-24, 07:43 AM
Since you're casting 8ths by the time you get it, I don't think the big part of the feat is the free metamagic. That is almost like getting extra spells per day which only goes so far. The big part is pumping the caster level and save DC. So pick a spell that has both and yet still isn't bad. Persistent spell is nice with such a spell, so a 7th level spell or lower could be nice.

Quicken is just a waste IMO. Burning a 5th level spell slot over a 7th-9th level spell slot is not a big advantage when it doesn't let you cast spells higher level than you could normally cast. And it's not related to any numerical effect of the spell.

Mass suffocation might be nice, for example. Pump the save DC and caster level vs SR (both base caster level and spell penetration). For 7th level I couldn't find a way to get a good persistent spell-able mass save-or-X that can excludes allies, but maybe I'm not trying hard enough with tricks.

Cambrian
2013-10-24, 01:38 PM
Since you're casting 8ths by the time you get it, I don't think the big part of the feat is the free metamagic. That is almost like getting extra spells per day which only goes so far. The big part is pumping the caster level and save DC. So pick a spell that has both and yet still isn't bad. Persistent spell is nice with such a spell, so a 7th level spell or lower could be nice.

Quicken is just a waste IMO. Burning a 5th level spell slot over a 7th-9th level spell slot is not a big advantage when it doesn't let you cast spells higher level than you could normally cast. And it's not related to any numerical effect of the spell.
I think the idea here is that a 8th level spell + a quickened 5th level spell with +1 DC is better than a 7th level spell with +1DC and a +1 MM feat.

Debatable for sure but action economy is a real consideration and given a casters ability to win an encounter on round 1 it shouldn't be ruled out. The other aspect is (a wizard) at lvl 15 has 4x level 5 spell slots versus 2x level 7 spell slots (before bonus spells) not to mention the ability to fill level 6+ slots with level 5 spells.