PDA

View Full Version : Fire Souled Wilder...

visigani
2013-10-23, 07:57 AM
This has to be one of the better templates for a wilder...

Immunity to daze, +4 to Charisma, Leadership feat for free (at level 1 no less), and all at a +3 level adjustment that can be bought off by 20.

This, in conjunction with educated wilder and Enervation Endurance could make for an pretty formidable Wilder character.

Sith_Happens
2013-10-23, 12:26 PM
*rolls Psicraft*

Yep, definitely Deja (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm) Vu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310179).

Psyren
2013-10-23, 12:57 PM
Would't you be ECL 4, not 1, if the template is +3 LA? And since your actual level is still 1, you wouldn't even be able to have a cohort anyway.

Karnith
2013-10-23, 01:00 PM
Would't you be ECL 4, not 1, if the template is +3 LA? And since your actual level is still 1, you wouldn't even be able to have a cohort anyway.
In fact, you wouldn't get a cohort until ECL 6, which is when normal characters would be able to select it as a feat anyway.

That part would almost be balanced, if Leadership wasn't, well, Leadership.

herrhauptmann
2013-10-23, 02:07 PM
In fact, you wouldn't get a cohort until ECL 6, which is when normal characters would be able to select it as a feat anyway.

That part would almost be balanced, if Leadership wasn't, well, Leadership.

Wouldn't it be character level 6 (for ECL 9)?
Otherwise, your cohort based off your ECL would technically be a higher level than you. Yes, cohort rules keep them at your level -2, putting a 1st level (6-3-2=1)cohort in a game with level 6 players.

Psyren
2013-10-23, 02:17 PM
Otherwise, your cohort based off your ECL would technically be a higher level than you. Yes, cohort rules keep them at your level -2, putting a 1st level (6-3-2=1)cohort in a game with level 6 players.

I think Karnith was saying "a regular character without a LA 3 template could just take leadership at ECL 6."

Karnith
2013-10-23, 02:19 PM
I'm... not sure what you're saying here, sorry. Fire-Souled characters get Leadership as a bonus feat. You can only attract cohorts who are up to two levels lower than your own character level. Hence, a fire-souled character would get a first-level cohort at level 3 (ECL 6). A normal (i.e. LA+0) character would be able to select Leadership at ECL 6 (character level 6), so the Fire-Souled character and normal characters who select Leadership both would get their first cohort at ECL 6.

I don't see where an ECL 9 character comes into things.

EDIT:
I think Karnith was saying "a regular character without a LA 3 template could just take leadership at ECL 6."
Pretty much.

herrhauptmann
2013-10-23, 02:56 PM
I'm... not sure what you're saying here, sorry. Fire-Souled characters get Leadership as a bonus feat. You can only attract cohorts who are up to two levels lower than your own character level. Hence, a fire-souled character would get a first-level cohort at level 3 (ECL 6). A normal (i.e. LA+0) character would be able to select Leadership at ECL 6 (character level 6), so the Fire-Souled character and normal characters who select Leadership both would get their first cohort at ECL 6.

I don't see where an ECL 9 character comes into things.

EDIT:
Pretty much.
Ok, they get leadership as a bonus feat. I got that from the other posts.
But leadership, is it based off of character level, or ECL?
Regardless of when you got the feat, I thought you couldn't get the cohort until character level 6. Which is ECL 9 with that template.
That's where the ECL9 came from.

But if it comes from ECL, then your cohort is level 4 right? While you're technically level 3. (I know, ECL 6, but there's a bunch of things that look at your HD and not your ECL, and for those, your cohort is stronger than you)

Karnith
2013-10-23, 03:10 PM
But leadership, is it based off of character level, or ECL?
Leadership is based on your character level. There is a pretty short list of things that ECL is used for, and Leadership isn't one of them.

Regardless of when you got the feat, I thought you couldn't get the cohort until character level 6.
That would depend on how your DM decides to rule it, looking more closely. Fire-Souled creatures get Leadership as a bonus feat, regardless of their level. The actual Leadership feat description doesn't put any restrictions on what level you need to be to attract followers or cohorts (beyond the prerequisites of the feat itself), but the rules surrounding it only refer to/describe gaining the benefits at level 6 or higher.
And, yes, I'm aware of the reading of the feat prereq rules that says you can't use a bonus feat if you don't meet its prereqs
It's almost like the designers didn't intend for anyone to get the feat before level 6.

herrhauptmann
2013-10-23, 03:40 PM
Leadership is based on your character level. There is a pretty short list of things that ECL is used for, and Leadership isn't one of them.

That's what I was saying (or trying to say)!
Character level 6, for our firesoul wilder, is ecl 9.

And, yes, I'm aware of the reading of the feat prereq rules that say you can't use a bonus feat if you don't meet its prereqs
Wasn't going to say anything about that. But you mean something like how in Complete Warrior it states that (for a given example):
If a character has his strength drained to the point he no longer qualifies for power attack, he can't use cleave, or any prestige classes that had cleave/power attack as prereqs. A rule that's conspicuously absent in the rest of the Complete series.