PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Long Ago In a Distant Thread

selpathor
2013-10-23, 09:54 AM
I, Selpathor, Novice Character Builder, unleashed this thread! But my lack of character building knowledge opposed me. So I tore open a portal to this board where I can take the proper knowledge and secure the future that is Aku!

As you may have gathered I have a character building question related to Samurai Jack, specifically Aku.

In 3.5 starting at level 11 how can I best achieve something similar to Aku's set of powers?

For those who do not know about Aku; the basics of his powers are versatile shape-shifting and shadow/darkness magic.

Demonic_Spoon
2013-10-23, 09:59 AM
I, Selpathor, Novice Character Builder, unleashed this thread on the board!

As you may have gathered I have a character building question related to Samurai Jack, specifically Aku.

In 3.5 starting at level 11 how can I best achieve something similar to Aku's set of powers?

For those who do not know about Aku; the basics of his powers are versatile shape-shifting and shadow/darkness magic.

Umm, shadowcrafter druid maybe?

Red Fel
2013-10-23, 10:15 AM
First off: Awesome choice. Aku was such a fun character, and Mako an awesome actor. (Mako, you will be missed.)

That said, you probably want to clarify several things before you can expect anything solid.

You've said 3.5 and level 11, that's fine. What source limitations do you have? First party only? Homebrews? PF backports? Completes?

Next, talk about your character focus. Any particular races/templates/alignments? Clearly, Aku is something-Evil. Would you characterize him as CE, NE, LE? (I personally see him as NE, but that's me.)

Next, classes. You say you want shape-shifting, and shadow-darkness-magic. Well, shapeshifting and magic, that's a Druid, which is clearly not Aku. Darkness magic could be any number of things. You want to be more specific. What class features do you want? Concepts?

And let's look at fluff. Do you want just shadows? Demonic? Alien? There are a lot of influences in Samurai Jack, which ones do you want in this build?

Give the nice builders something to work with. Something with great flaming eyebrows!

selpathor
2013-10-23, 10:37 AM
First off: Awesome choice. Aku was such a fun character, and Mako an awesome actor. (Mako, you will be missed.)

That said, you probably want to clarify several things before you can expect anything solid.

You've said 3.5 and level 11, that's fine. What source limitations do you have? First party only? Homebrews? PF backports? Completes?

Next, talk about your character focus. Any particular races/templates/alignments? Clearly, Aku is something-Evil. Would you characterize him as CE, NE, LE? (I personally see him as NE, but that's me.)

Next, classes. You say you want shape-shifting, and shadow-darkness-magic. Well, shapeshifting and magic, that's a Druid, which is clearly not Aku. Darkness magic could be any number of things. You want to be more specific. What class features do you want? Concepts?

And let's look at fluff. Do you want just shadows? Demonic? Alien? There are a lot of influences in Samurai Jack, which ones do you want in this build?

Give the nice builders something to work with. Something with great flaming eyebrows!

Thanks for the quick response.

As for the limitations 3.5 with any extra books from 3.5 with the possibility for homebrewing but that is not certain.

As for character focus I'm not sure about the race but I see Aku as LE bordering on NE. Are there any races that naturally have some level of shape-shifting that could be built on?

As for classes this is where my lack of knowledge hits hard. I think possibly sorcerer or wizard for a base class because that would give me access to things like summoning spells and alter self for basic shape-shifting.

As for powers I would like to start with shadows/darkness powers and then some demonic influences and probably a little/no alien influence.

I hope this is answers most if not all of your questions.

Callin
2013-10-23, 10:52 AM
. He is an extremely powerful demon wizard whose primary ability is shape-shifting, though he does possess other powers. He requires no food, water, or air and is capable of interstellar travel. He also has the ability to spy on Jack and others from a large sphere he can summon at will in his tower

So going with Wizard is probably a good idea. Maybe do the Anima Mage early entry to have Bindings as well. Be a Changling to start off with his transformation powers. If you can swing it adding some sort of Shadow Planeish Template would fill it all out.

nedz
2013-10-23, 11:14 AM
I'm not familiar with Samurai Jack, but what you're asking for might fit with one of these?

Changeling is a race of shape shifters from Eberon, also in MM3
Shifter is a race of shape shifters also from Eberon, also in MM3
Neither of these have LA or RHD, which is a good thing.

There's also Slyth from Underdark, but that has +2 LA

Add in a caster of some kind:
Shadowcaster, Illusion themed Sorcerer or Bard possibly.

Helcack
2013-10-23, 12:22 PM
If you can have dragon magazine and 3.0, I suggest using the Hengeyokai(as that is asian themed already, has LA +0 according to Dragon and makes a lot of sense) then adding the Shadow Template from ToM to enable him to do the melding into darkness thing he does. The throwing forward in time thing is a 9th level spell, so I don't think you can do that until a much higher level. For class I would think Ur-Priest+Shapeshifter+re-fluffed contemplative(so that he creates his own domain, gets his shapeshifting ability, casts spells and gets this spell (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/pg/20030409b) able to cast at higher level.
Assuming LA buyoff:
Race: Shadow Hengeyokai
Class(es): Dragonfire Adept 1, Fighter Variant:Commander 1, Dragonfire Adept+1, Fighter Variant:Commander +1, Dragonfire Adept +1, Ur-Priest 1, Shapeshifter 5, Contemplative 1
For continued progression, I'd suggest:
Shapeshifter +4, Ur-Priest+1, Eldritch Disciple 4