PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Edition Vampires for 3.5

AzureKnight
2013-10-23, 09:54 AM
I am sitting here looking through my big box of 2nd edition box sets when i stumbled upon my ravenloft campaign setting. while reading and revisiting the old school information I found the age progression chart for vampires.

In a nutshell for anyone not having played adnd 2e, it says as a vampire ages, his powers too advance, giving him more abilities and resistances and immunities to thing a 3.5 vampire would be either cripples from or die from.

One example being at a very old age, being able to function in daylight without penelty. I loved that concept making vampires more of a threat, and the encounter more memorable. would anyone know how I could set about creating a level advancement for these old school vampires so they could work in 3.5?

hamishspence
2013-10-23, 10:00 AM
Take the Vampire Lord template, update it to 3.5 (so, maybe, DR/epic & silver instead of DR/+3?) and use it as a basis for a Monster Class:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a

Demonic_Spoon
2013-10-23, 10:01 AM
I am sitting here looking through my big box of 2nd edition box sets when i stumbled upon my ravenloft campaign setting. while reading and revisiting the old school information I found the age progression chart for vampires.

In a nutshell for anyone not having played adnd 2e, it says as a vampire ages, his powers too advance, giving him more abilities and resistances and immunities to thing a 3.5 vampire would be either cripples from or die from.

One example being at a very old age, being able to function in daylight without penelty. I loved that concept making vampires more of a threat, and the encounter more memorable. would anyone know how I could set about creating a level advancement for these old school vampires so they could work in 3.5?
Sounds like the vampire lord (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a) template.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Garktz
2013-10-23, 10:14 AM
have you looked at libir mortis?
you do have some monster feats as well as vampiric progression (but i think its just meant to be a mosnter class to make it playable) and a prestige class for vampires, it might help

AzureKnight
2013-10-23, 10:26 AM
Thanks guys these are just what I was looking for.

dysprosium
2013-10-23, 10:49 AM
There was a Ravenloft Campaign Setting published by Swords & Sorcery when they had the license that had vampire age categories.

I believe that is 3.0 as well so you'd have to finagle a little to update it to 3.5.

AzureKnight
2013-10-23, 11:03 AM
There was a Ravenloft Campaign Setting published by Swords & Sorcery when they had the license that had vampire age categories.

I believe that is 3.0 as well so you'd have to finagle a little to update it to 3.5.

Awesome, do you know if and if so where that is available online by chance?

dysprosium
2013-10-23, 11:11 AM
Awesome, do you know if and if so where that is available online by chance?

I happen to have the hardcover . . .

I know that there were quite a few sourcebooks printed for Ravenloft during that time. Though the main campaign setting answers your original question.

Usually these older pdfs can be found on rpgnow.com. There may be some on the Sword & Sorcery website which I don't remember what it is for certain either.

(I haven't checked myself but it's a good chance you can find them there.)

Lord Vukodlak
2013-10-23, 12:27 PM
Years ago(nearly a decade) I actually wrote up all this advancing ability scores, powers and other nifty things. Fledgeling vampires would lack stuff like domination, children of the night.

But older vampires would receive things like telekinesis, enhanced speed. Drain blood at a distance, possibly multiple targets if they were old enough.

The most ancient would get things like time stop as a spell like ability or a power that let them strike everyone within 30ft of them with a melee attack. Every so many rounds. (inspired by the dimensional strike attack from Legacy of Kain Defiance).

But the computer it was on died and all that information was lost and I never had the will to rebuild it all.