PDA

View Full Version : Batman: Arkham Origins

Yana
2013-10-23, 11:03 AM
Suffice to say, this game is a prequel to the wildly popular Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City games which came out in 2009 and 2011, respectively.

The basic synopsis is that roughly two years into Bruce Wayne's career as the Batman, the organized crime in Gotham City have finally gotten fed up with his antics and have banded together out of fear. On Christmas Eve, Roman Sionis (aka, the Black Mask) hires eight renown assassins with one purpose in mind: Kill the Bat.

This game details what happens that night, and how Batman goes from being a vigilante hunted by the Gotham Police and the mob alike to the Dark Knight that is revered by all law abiding citizens of the city of Gotham. Granted, the story is a bit of a forgone conclusion, what with it being a prequel; but who can really say no to more of the awesome combat that defines the series?

The release comes on 10/25/2013 or 25/10/2013 (this Friday), depending on how you list the date. Is anyone else excited?

Driderman
2013-10-23, 12:14 PM
So far as I understand it's not the same development team as the one who actually worked on Asylum and City, so I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

Psyren
2013-10-23, 12:18 PM
It's simple... we kill the Batman.

The only thing I'm really interested in about this title is playable Slade/Deathstroke.

Cristo Meyers
2013-10-23, 12:37 PM
So far as I understand it's not the same development team as the one who actually worked on Asylum and City, so I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

While true, everything I've seen says that they haven't really messed with the core gameplay or setting in any major way. Every gameplay demo I've seen has looked very much in the vein of the previous games.

Admittedly, they didn't get Hamill or Batman to reprise their roles, but Troy Baker seems to have Hamill-Joker pretty down.

I'll be picking this up on Friday, though I probably won't get to it until later since I'm in the middle of Persona 3 and AC4 comes out next Tuesday.

Zevox
2013-10-23, 09:15 PM
Yeah, because it's being developed by a completely different studio, I'm waiting to find out the general audience reaction to it before deciding whether to pick it up. It'd be too easy for something important to get screwed up transitioning to a different developer like that.

Calemyr
2013-10-24, 01:35 PM
While true, everything I've seen says that they haven't really messed with the core gameplay or setting in any major way. Every gameplay demo I've seen has looked very much in the vein of the previous games.

Admittedly, they didn't get Hamill or Batman to reprise their roles, but Troy Baker seems to have Hamill-Joker pretty down.

I'll be picking this up on Friday, though I probably won't get to it until later since I'm in the middle of Persona 3 and AC4 comes out next Tuesday.

Who's Kevin Conroy? There is only Batman.

I'm interested to see what the game becomes. A new company could be a good thing as long as they stick to the basic formula, they can provide a new perspective and keep it fresh. Besides, classic Batman's rep is really kind of ridiculous. Playing a green Batman, on the cusp of being awesome without the respect to back it up, could make for a very interesting story. A green Batman can make mistakes and lose fights that a veteran Batman would cause pandemics of nerd rage for throwing.

Also: Persona 3 was awesome.

Cristo Meyers
2013-10-24, 02:54 PM
Who's Kevin Conroy? There is only Batman.

Hush, I blanked on his name and didn't have time to look it up :smalltongue:

I'm interested to see what the game becomes. A new company could be a good thing as long as they stick to the basic formula, they can provide a new perspective and keep it fresh. Besides, classic Batman's rep is really kind of ridiculous. Playing a green Batman, on the cusp of being awesome without the respect to back it up, could make for a very interesting story. A green Batman can make mistakes and lose fights that a veteran Batman would cause pandemics of nerd rage for throwing.

From what I've seen they're definitely playing with the younger, angrier Batman at least a little. My only real complaint about him so far is that whomever is doing the voice (another name I've completely blanked on...) doesn't quite have it right. He's trying to imitate Conroy in the same way Baker is imitating Hamill, but he's just not doing it as well.

I think there's another gameplay trailer out now, like the first 17 minutes of the game. Haven't taken a look at that one yet, and considering the game is out tomorrow I probably won't bother.

Especially when it's free. Why yes, Sony, I'll take that $10 PSN credit you're giving me for no apparent reason, thank you very much.

I'll get 4 Golden sometime soon, finally broke down when I looked at the Vita library and went "yeah, there's enough there to interest me."

ScrambledBrains
2013-10-24, 03:47 PM

As someone who bought and loved Arkham City, and recently also bought Asylum and likes certain elements of it(The Scarecrow sequences are the stand-out, since I like them even as they scare the bejeebus out of me.), I am also interested to see how Batman being a rookie is portrayed. On the one hand, I am wary about how this is a more headstrong, less stealthy batman(Since I love the stealth elements/challenges from the other two games). On the other hand...more new gadgets, and freaking Deathstroke. A good coin toss to see how it all goes down. :smallbiggrin:

Indeed. :smallbiggrin:

From what I've seen they're definitely playing with the younger, angrier Batman at least a little. My only real complaint about him so far is that whomever is doing the voice (another name I've completely blanked on...) doesn't quite have it right. He's trying to imitate Conroy in the same way Baker is imitating Hamill, but he's just not doing it as well.

Roger Craig Smith

Especially when it's free. Why yes, Sony, I'll take that $10 PSN credit you're giving me for no apparent reason, thank you very much.

I'll get 4 Golden sometime soon, finally broke down when I looked at the Vita library and went "yeah, there's enough there to interest me."

You won't be dissapointed with Golden...trust me. :smallsmile:

Yana
2013-10-24, 04:47 PM
Roger Craig Smith

Aka, Ezio Auditore and Chris Redfield. Sonic as well iirc.

Mordokai
2013-10-24, 05:20 PM
Aka, Ezio Auditore and Chris Redfield. Sonic as well iirc.

Chris wasn't bad. Considering me and friend just finished his campaign in RE6, I have faith. Never played Assassin's Creed, so can't speak for that.

This is coming out for PS3 as well, right? I just may have to purchase it.

Triscuitable
2013-10-24, 10:55 PM
Chris wasn't bad. Considering me and friend just finished his campaign in RE6, I have faith. Never played Assassin's Creed, so can't speak for that.

This is coming out for PS3 as well, right? I just may have to purchase it.

He's Ezio in all appearances. It's easily his best character. He sounds sort of like WB walked up to him and said, "do your best Kevin Conroy impression". It's not bad, but not nearly as good as Troy Baker's Joker.

MLai
2013-10-28, 03:39 AM
Reviews I've read so far say it's just Arkham City with larger overworld and a couple of minor new tools/enemies. Which rates it as an average game. This to me sounds like in the same boat as Darksiders II, i.e. bigger isn't better for many people's tastes.

IMO, the game missed out on an awesome mechanic given the premise. The premise is that 8 super assassins are hunting Batman on Xmas eve. Well, then the game should have taken a cue from Resident Evil Nemesis, and have 8 "Nemeses" stalking Batman whenever he's roaming the large overworld and not in any specific enclosed story level.
Whereas in RE, you can only run from Nemesis... in this you should be able to actually fight the assassin(s) who catches to you, and beating them gives you a cutscene showing the assassin escaping to lick his wounds and leave you alone for a while.
They should be tough, so that if Bats get teamed up by more than one, he should concentrate on running away. And they should get tougher (more health, new attacks, new AI routines etc) as the campaign progresses and the 8 are whittled down.

As for the multiplayer. Sounds like AvP franchise... one of the worse ones. Great ideas but the reviews didn't like the execution. And you don't get to use the named villains.

SouthpawSoldier
2013-10-28, 04:57 AM
I've only spent about 2 hrs playing so far, about 15% through the main mission. Playing on hard (I have a rule about playing games on the hardest setting possible) and combat is definitely more challenging than City was. Same game, but less forgiving; you can't mash your way into freeflow, you have to take your time, especially with mobs. I find myself countering more often then straight attacks. I just started the first stealthy/infitration mission. Gives me giggles to use the new toy from vantage points to tag guys with extingishers.

The city is HUGE. Yes, it deserves all caps. You can unlock quck travel points in different neighborhoods, to speed up the process, thankfully. The first trip along the bridge was time consuming. Even though the city is larger, it doesn't "feel" as open as Arkham City; I haven't been able to cruise above it all or find travel lanes like I did in Arkham City. Being able to quick travel to the cave is nice. You get XP for periodic chats with Alfred, and there's a fighting sim mini game that serves to practice new moves and new gear.

I like how you can see they used the same modeling for certain neighborhoods as they did in A.C. Some of the buildings are the same, or similar enough that they really do look like younger, fresher versions.

Gear wise, I'm irritated. I get grumpy whenever a prequel game adds more gear, or fancier gear, instead of simpler or prototype versions of his equipment. Example being the grapnel boost; you had to unlock it in AC via VR gliding training; in AO it's a starting item. The new goody that creates wires is spiffy though; finding fun uses for it.

I'm digging the new investigation mode; it still hands things to you, but the animation aspect is interesting. I'd like the puzzles to be a little more complicated, require a little more thought, but it's an improvement. It's not quite what they hyped, but about what I expected.

The skill tree and menu system hs been revamped as well. I like that it's a tree now, instead of a list of upgrades.

The fight with Deathstroke (hopefully not the only time we face him) was irritating. I couldn't get a feel for the rhythm of the combat, so I ended up spamming counter and grapnel slam. It was a departure; felt like a mix of Arkham and Injustice, and I know it could have been more exciting, had I been able to get a feel the fight.

Overall, comparing it to A.C., I'd say it's like comparing Rocky Road to regular chocolate ice cream; very similar in flavor, but as soon as you start thinking it's familiar and getting complacent, you get surprised with a nut or marshmallow. In some respects, it feels faster paced; you really feel like a raw version of the Bat. It's familiar enough to be intuitive in general, but the specifics change up the flow a bit.

Calemyr
2013-10-28, 08:00 AM
I've gotten a decent way into the game myself, and largely agree with SouthpawSoldier. Note that I'm playing the PS3 version: the PC is apparently complete and total crap, a glitchy, buggy, and obviously rushed port. The PS3 isn't nearly so bad, though I have had one crash and the game suffers from slowdown after fast travelling (making it the less preferable travel option).

Combat is extremely frustrating, at least for me. The game introduces armored (and new enforcer) type enemies right away and as part of mundane combat -you can't take them out while other enemies are standing (as the process takes time and they LOVE to interrupt you), while they completely disrupt the flow of combat until they're removed. The combats are almost always against large groups as well - I know why there are no civilians in the game. There are no civilians in the city. Everyone is either a mob goon or a cop (and thus a mob goon). The size of the groups make countering critical, but it feels like the timing on the counter system is off. I'm not necessarily talking about Deathstroke, although the fight with him requires pinpoint timing on hitting the counter button (if you press it even a little too early, he'll punish you).

Troy Baker does a good job of playing a younger, coarser version of Mark Hamil's Joker, while Roger Craig Smith plays a Batman that is quite different from Keven Conroy's version, yet you can see how this one could grow up into that one. He is just a brutal ball of all consuming anger, such that his interrogations tend to suggest that having one's teeth knocked in is the gentle option. It can be hard to remember Batman's "One Rule" in this game, he really feels like he wants to kill everyone in sight and only fails to do so by supreme effort.

The enemies are nicely diverse and interesting, including the vaunted assassins. Electrocutioner's battles are surprisingly amusing, albeit easy. I hated the Mad Hatter's side mission - it was extremely cool, easily on par with some of Scarecrow's events in AA, but the inability to use detective mode coupled with an interface change and no aiming left me completely at a loss of what to do for most of it.

I agree that the Grapnel Accelerator is rather jarring, but I would not want to traverse this map on foot - especially with the current fast travel bug. HUGE is a good description.

All told, I'm enjoying the game most of the time, but the combat is infuriating. I still haven't had the opportunity to figure out how to fight the new enemy types effectively.

sana
2013-10-28, 09:25 AM
I've gotten a decent way into the game myself, and largely agree with SouthpawSoldier. Note that I'm playing the PS3 version: the PC is apparently complete and total crap, a glitchy, buggy, and obviously rushed port. The PS3 isn't nearly so bad, though I have had one crash and the game suffers from slowdown after fast travelling (making it the less preferable travel option).

Honestly it's freaking gorgeous on PC.

I'm just rounding up the last side missions and so far I've encountered 1 bug with a comm tower that could be fixed by forcefully glitching through a wall.
MY FPS never dropped below 55 normally it stays above 60. But there is a slightly noticeable hick-up whenever i travel between zones.
My only real problem is that the cut-scenes actually look like crap compared to the normal gameplay. Reducing to 720p and less detailed somewhat blurry.

edit: and i hate the lens-flare effect it's just so annoying.

BRC
2013-10-28, 09:48 AM
started playing it on PC last night.
It seems solid, and it looks like its cut down on the number of riddler trophies (or whatever they are in this game), which was a problem I had with Arkham City. It really took me out of the game to se that the riddler had put a trophy every ten feet.

That said, while I can accept the whole "Only criminals are on the streets" thing as part of the gameplay, I don't particuarly like it. The criminals in Asylum and City had nothing better to do than stand around in the cold, but in Origins I would have liked them to be doing somthing, not just hanging around on rooftops waiting to be punched. I would have an easier time swallowing it if Black Mask had taken over the city, but Penguin's men are out there doing the same thing.
Apparently Gotham criminals just like to stand around in the snow.I understand that having armies of minions standing around is part of the series, but they need a better excuse than "everybody else is inside"

Plus, where are the cars? it's not snowing THAT hard. Why arn't the criminals driving around in cars?

On PC the controls seem off. I can't seem to use the grapple accellerator at all, and while I Can go into a ground finish as part of a combo, if I'm just near an enemy on the ground and I try to do a ground finish, Batman just kind of strikes a pose everytime I click.
The groups of enemies seem too large. I remember in Aslyumn every fight felt special, but here it just seems like I'm clicking the Batman button to Batman to a random enemy and Batman them in the face, then I batman over to another random enemy and Batman them, continuing to hit the Batman button until there is nobody left to Batman. Occasionally a special enemy will require I hold down another button to Special Batman them.
The Armored Enemies (Who need to be Batmanned before you can Batman them) are really annoying in large groups because unless they're the last enemy standing you cannot pull off the special Batman needed to Batman them.

It feels like Arkham City all over again, which isn't a bad thing, but is far from good. Arkham Asylum was wonderful because it was very well focused. City was distinctly unfocused, and this seems to be the least focused by far. At least City had the overarching plot of "Stop Hugo Strange", this one seems to wear it's lack of focus on its sleeve. Batman growls about finding Black Mask, but it seems like his real goal is to stop the assassins.

At least this one's got Alfred Snark.

I think the Mechanics for this game would work wonderfully for a Batman Beyond game. Terry McGinnis would have more sci-fi gadgets to play with, he can fly around a multi-tiered city. Plus he can be far more fun than Bruce Wayne, provided they manage to pull off non-annoying combat banter.

Also, having played Sleeping Dogs recently, this game could really benefit from that game's grapple and throw/environmental takedown mechanics to make combat more interesting.

Kudaku
2013-10-28, 09:32 PM
I was a huge fan of the first two games (100% completion rate on both games and more hours than I'd care to think about), and I find this game... A little disappointing.
It feels familiar - it's clear they were either very careful to or instructed to not shake the boat. They did make some changes, but frankly I find these frustrating rather than endearing:

I never missed Fast travel Points in BAC since gliding was a fun way to get from A to B. In BAO however, I use travel points constantly. I find it frustrating to travel across town since the layout isn't particularly conductive to gliding - the random building heights mean that lack of grapple points is at times extreme, and the bridge is incredibly boring to fly across.

In Origin they tweaked the goon attack routine - they're (much) better at adjusting their punches and kicks to hit Batman, at times turning 90 degrees mid-attack in order to clock you one. This and a much higher aggression rate means (at least to me) that every other move you make will be a counter. While I could regularly get high multipliers when doing combat encounters in BAC (100+), in BAO I finish most of my fights with multiple combo-breaking hits because I constantly underestimate the average thug's apparently amazing pirouette kicks. I realize this is probably just an adjustment thing, but still... I loved the fluidity and variety of BAC's melee combat system, and I feel like BAO's focus on aggression makes me rely much more on counters instead of using cape stuns and evading tactics - at best they only buy me enough time to counter the next attack.

Oops, minor spoiler here about a specific gadget obtained after a few hours of gameplay.

The shock gloves... They're critical if you want to do well in combat challenges, but they feel - off. Batman basically loots them off one of the assassins, slaps them onto his normal gauntlets and now he's electrocuting people?

Various bug-related issues. I'm playing this on the PS3 (unusual for me since I'm primarily a PC player, but the Batman games I prefer to play on my TV) and I was shocked at how the fast travel time framerate issue slipped through QA - it is an atrocius bug.

All that said, there are some renovations and some improvements - the crimes scene mechanic is fun (though a tad obvious at times), the predator missions are excellent and it's nice to see some new map variations here, and the new martial arts goons are just the right mix of interesting and pain in the ass.

At the end of the day,after having played through about 60% of AO while I think it's still a good game I'd definitely recommend Arkham City over Arkham Origins.

Dienekes
2013-10-28, 10:49 PM
From someone who has only just fought Deathstroke and went straight to taking down Anarky. So not very far at all. I'm enjoying it, a lot. I love that the enemies are harder, it was way too easy the last two games. I do agree I feel it's missing something, but I cannot put my finger on what it is.

Gear wise, I'm irritated. I get grumpy whenever a prequel game adds more gear, or fancier gear, instead of simpler or prototype versions of his equipment. Example being the grapnel boost; you had to unlock it in AC via VR gliding training; in AO it's a starting item. The new goody that creates wires is spiffy though; finding fun uses for it.

While from a story perspective I understand why it would annoy you. But honestly I'm not bothered by it, I mean does anyone actually want to not have grapple boost since it wasn't in the first game? I certainly need my boosts.

The fight with Deathstroke (hopefully not the only time we face him) was irritating. I couldn't get a feel for the rhythm of the combat, so I ended up spamming counter and grapnel slam. It was a departure; felt like a mix of Arkham and Injustice, and I know it could have been more exciting, had I been able to get a feel the fight.

What worked for me and I think it's right though it required me to die to figure out what I was supposed to do (the hint it gives is not to block too soon). When Deathstroke attacks it will prompt that you should counter, but don't do it until you actually see the lightning bolts coming out of his head, or whatever they're supposed to be. Doing it too early and he'll hit you anyway.

Callos_DeTerran
2013-10-29, 12:31 AM
Well...I've gotten a fair bit through the game (it feels like it anyway) having fought most of the assassins besides Firefly and Deadshot. The game is good, let me open with that but...it feels like it lacks a little of the polish that AA and AC had.

This game (on the Xbox 360) has proven a lot buggier then the previous two and has a little trouble in building up it's bad guys (Of all the assassins I've fought so far, only Bane feels like he's a world-class assassin worthy of being hired to fight Batman and I know Deathstroke and Shiva should feel just as, if not more so, dangerous) or rather seems to build up the wrong ones. I got a great feel for Penguin and Joker...the latter makes sense, but at this point in time it feels like Penguin's role in the story is already finished and yet major antagonists (in this game anyway) are not as well developed as he is.

Batman is definitely a more interesting protagonist this time around, with his interactions with Alfred but...the previous two games felt like Batman distillations, taking some of the best pieces of various parts of the Batman mythos while this one feels more...Nolenesque, despite the presence of Killer Croc.

Also, this isn't a complaint but just a...thought. The name is Arkham Origins...but it really, really does not feel like Batman's origin...it feels like the origin of his Rogues' Gallery.

I've just finished the Hotel where I fought Bane (apparently just for the first time) and saved the Joker from falling to his death...and then endured a fantastic trek inside of Joker's mind and the Start of Darkness for Harley Quinn. I seemed to be present for the start of Mad Hatter's tendency to kidnap 'Alice's'. Penguin's just an up and coming crime boss...most of Batman's rogues only seem to be just starting off. Meanwhile...Batman's issue's seem to encompass just Alfred and trusting Gordon. I'm not going to lie, I'm getting the serious vibe that the Arkham series is about Batman's villains (specifically the Joker) rather then Batman himself.

This...is not necessarily a bad thing.

BRC
2013-10-29, 12:55 AM
Well yeah, the game is called Arkham Origins.
Not Batman Origins. Arkham Origins.

And who goes to Arkham?

Callos_DeTerran
2013-10-29, 01:16 AM
Well yeah, the game is called Arkham Origins.
Not Batman Origins. Arkham Origins.

And who goes to Arkham?

...Batman? :smalltongue:

BRC
2013-10-29, 01:18 AM
...Batman? :smalltongue:

No, Steve the Janitor. This is HIS story.

MLai
2013-10-29, 04:13 AM
Anyone know the best online repository of mods for the Batman Arkham franchise?
I'm specifically looking for gameplay mods (such as altering combat via giving enemies more health), not costume mods. Gameplay mods are difficult to find.

Calemyr
2013-10-29, 07:37 AM
The explanation I like the most is that it's called Arkham Origins because its the impetus for Arkham Asylum - the birth of a new breed of criminal that couldn't be safely contained in a prison.

Until Arkham Origins, the only really unusual opponent was Killer Croc - who was at this time just a really strong, really tough thug.

Callos_DeTerran
2013-10-29, 11:52 AM
The explanation I like the most is that it's called Arkham Origins because its the impetus for Arkham Asylum - the birth of a new breed of criminal that couldn't be safely contained in a prison.

Until Arkham Origins, the only really unusual opponent was Killer Croc - who was at this time just a really strong, really tough thug.

...Who eats people. Can't forget the 'eats people' part.

Calemyr
2013-10-29, 12:19 PM
...Who eats people. Can't forget the 'eats people' part.

Was he a cannibal at this point? I thought that was part of his latest mutation/reconfiguration, the one he undertakes while in the sewers. The one where he's truly more beast than man (Arkham Asylum era Croc).

Callos_DeTerran
2013-10-29, 01:10 PM
Was he a cannibal at this point? I thought that was part of his latest mutation/reconfiguration, the one he undertakes while in the sewers. The one where he's truly more beast than man (Arkham Asylum era Croc).

I don't know if he's actually done the act, but two of the lose screens to him...well one relates to turning Batman's skin into drapes while the other says he's been waiting to take a bite out of Batman.

....Also, he tries to eat your face during your fight with him. So either he's finally ready to make that final lunge into cannibalism or already is one.

Lord Magtok
2013-10-31, 09:26 AM
I don't know if he's actually done the act-

That one guard guy with a hook for a hand? Yeah, that was Croc's doing. :smallyuk:

Calemyr
2013-10-31, 09:28 AM
That one guard guy with a hook for a hand? Yeah, that was Croc's doing. :smallyuk:

Yes, but is Cash currently one handed? Or has that not happened yet?

BRC
2013-10-31, 09:50 AM
Alright, spoiler time.

So I just got past the Joker's Flashback section, and I loved it.

However, I am curious. Did anybody here play it WITHOUT having read The Killing Joke? Were you able to understand what was going on?

Callos_DeTerran
2013-10-31, 01:49 PM
I haven't read the Killing Joke but I know the general idea of what happened in it. About the only thing I didn't understand was the incredibly goofy hat Joker wore through-out the flashback segment. It seemed incredibly relevant, but I don't know why.

BRC
2013-10-31, 02:01 PM
I haven't read the Killing Joke but I know the general idea of what happened in it. About the only thing I didn't understand was the incredibly goofy hat Joker wore through-out the flashback segment. It seemed incredibly relevant, but I don't know why.

In the Killing Joke a down-on-his luck Standup Comedian is pressured to help some criminals pull off a job. The Criminals have concocted the identity of "The Red Hood", so that if they get caught they can say that the "Red Hood" was the Ringleader, and would usually put the Hood on some patsy.

In this case the young standup comedian was forced to wear The Hood, making the cops (and some crazy guy in a bat costume) think he was a dangerous criminal mastermind, instead of a guy getting paid to help some criminals find their way through the chemical plant where he used to work so they could rob a playing card company next door. Scared, Panicked, unable to see or breathe through the hood, and pursued by some pointy eared maniac the young man falls into the chemical runoff.

You could say that the young man had one bad day.

MLai
2013-11-01, 05:14 AM
Good lord I absolutely loathe that origin for the Joker. Thank goodness it's just "one of many conflicting stories of his past."

SouthpawSoldier
2013-11-01, 08:22 AM
What do you see as a good Joker origin?

At least it's better than the origin story for the Danny Devito Penguin.

MLai
2013-11-01, 10:04 AM
Just like Wolverine, Joker does not need an origin story. There are many charas in fiction who work better without one.

BRC
2013-11-01, 10:15 AM
Just like Wolverine, Joker does not need an origin story. There are many charas in fiction who work better without one.

I like The Killing Joke as an Irrelevant Origin. I enjoy it, and I'm okay with it being canon, but it shouldn't be relevant.
The same Comic that gave us that backstory also gave us, in my mind, the best word on The Joker's backstory: "If I must have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice".

The "Canon" of the Joker's backstory is irrelevant, he is The Joker, whether he is a comedian who had a bad day or sprung fully grown from Zeus's forhead.

Pronounceable
2013-11-03, 02:27 AM
After the third game killer bug, I deleted the whole damn thing (with actual delete). The game itself is nice enough but I'm not restarting for the third ****ing time.

Tip to all computer players: Look up for a list of game killer bugs before you start playing and remember them. I figured 2 game killer bugs would be enough so didn't bother to look up for a list of potential future game killers. Then after this third one, I did bother to and found out there was another one I was lucky enough to not see, with some more in parts I hadn't yet reached.

In fact I'll do a favor to all potential computer games who might drop by here:
1) A vent is bugged in Burnley Comm Tower that can't be climbed into. This is fixed by a patch that makes prior saves unusable.
2) Not managing to get past the room where guys come out of the mirror in Mad Hatter sidequest in one go will make camera drop off the world on every reload/restart with no way out (unless you can beat up all the dudes blind).
3) The teaplate shortly after that room gets stuck in water and Bats can't cross the water with grapple.
4) Not managing to get past the second bomb room in Firefly sidequest in one go will spawn you on the outside room with no way forward or backward.
5) Also heard of problems with a later Bane fight but haven't actually gotten there so no first hand info.

MLai
2013-11-03, 09:33 PM
In fact I'll do a favor to all potential computer games who might drop by here:

1) A vent is bugged in Burnley Comm Tower that can't be climbed into. This is fixed by a patch that makes prior saves unusable.
2) Not managing to get past the room where guys come out of the mirror in Mad Hatter sidequest in one go will make camera drop off the world on every reload/restart with no way out (unless you can beat up all the dudes blind).
3) The teaplate shortly after that room gets stuck in water and Bats can't cross the water with grapple.
4) Not managing to get past the second bomb room in Firefly sidequest in one go will spawn you on the outside room with no way forward or backward.
5) Also heard of problems with a later Bane fight but haven't actually gotten there so no first hand info.
Only buy games after they come out with Game Of The Year edition.
Heheh, fixed that for you.
I don't remember the last time I bought a PC game as soon as it came out.
Oh wait no, I bought Dawn Of War II and its expansions on release week. But then, that's Relic.

BRC
2013-11-03, 09:51 PM
Having beaten it, let me say that this could have been Game of the Year 2014.

However they released it in 2013, so it was buggy, short, and somewhat incoherent.

ScrambledBrains
2013-11-06, 08:30 PM
So...not touching the thing about bugs or how good the game is...but is anyone here high on any of the leaderboards? I'm 6th on one of the stealth maps with Deathstroke. :smallbiggrin: