PDA

View Full Version : +CR has me baffled!

Brett Wong
2007-01-04, 09:11 AM
Can anyone tell me how CR on templates works? say Half Golem for example.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-04, 09:12 AM
You increase the base creature's CR by the number it says in the template.

That's.. really all there is to it. What's hard about that?

Brett Wong
2007-01-04, 09:23 AM
Mkay.. Say i'm making a ECL 20 character that wants to be a Dracoic Half Iron Golem. The Draconic is +1 LA so i can have 19 class levels, the half golem is CR+2, and no level adjustment listed. Dose this mean i would subtract 2 and have 17 class levels? or stay at 19 and have a CR+2???

On that note, what dose CR do, how is it calculated, and.... just tell me about it in general

-Thanks everso mutch for ur help

-Archyr

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-04, 09:25 AM
If you're a player you don't have to worry about CR at all in any way, shape or form. At least, when it comes to your character.

CR is something for the DM to use to calculate whether a monster is a good challenge for the party or not. Generally, CR X means that four characters of level X can kill it while expending 20% of their resources.

For creatures with class levels, CR is equal to their class levels. So a dwarf fighter 10 has a CR of 10.

Basically: Ignore the CR entry. It has nothing to do with you. Pretend it isn't there.

Thomas
2007-01-04, 09:34 AM
If there's no level adjustment, you can't use it for PCs. This is right and well. (+0 is a level adjustment; - or the absence of LA does not equal +0.)

From what I recall of the half-golem template off-hand, it is a good thing that it has no LA and cannot be used by PCs. It's not suitable for them, and has some nasty abilities. (Note that the book is 3.0, so there's no LA for anything, but the 3.5 update booklet gives the LA of -, meaning it can't be used for PCs.)

CR has nothing what-so-ever to do with PCs, LA, or ECL. It's used when creating encounters and calculating XP earned.

Pegasos989
2007-01-04, 09:43 AM
Yeah. And if creature or template has LA of "-", it means it can not be taken by player characters.

EDIT: Thom of Finland simued. :(

Brett Wong
2007-01-04, 10:29 AM
Ok Thanks for ur help.

bosssmiley
2007-01-04, 10:10 PM
EDIT: Thom of Finland simued. :(

Until now I respected Thomas as a poster, but now - thanks to you and you alone Pegasos989 - I'll never be able to read his name without chuckling. That's just mean! :smallmad:

I also curse you for the images you put in my head.