PDA

View Full Version : Very quick rule clarification - con dmg and bear endurance

Cryov
2013-10-23, 01:15 PM
If I use bears endurance on myself and take 1 pt of con damage, does it hit my base con or the enhanced?
If it hits enhanced would it stick when bear endurance wears off?
Trying to figure this out for a hellfire warlock

Cruiser1
2013-10-23, 01:18 PM
If I use bears endurance on myself and take 1 pt of con damage, does it hit my base con or the enhanced?
If it hits enhanced would it stick when bear endurance wears off?
It adjusts your base CON. An enhancement bonus isn't like temporary HP (which is something slightly different from base HP). Rather an enhancement bonus is just an (upward) bonus to your base CON, like how CON damage is a (downard) penalty to your base CON. They're independent of each other, and added together to get your current CON (which means if an enhancement bonus wears off or is dispelled, then your CON drops, which may be fatal).

Yuki Akuma
2013-10-23, 01:19 PM
Let's say you have a Con score of 10.

Under the effects of Bear's Endurance, your Con score is raised by +4, to 14.

If you take 1 point of Constitution damage, your Con is reduced to 13.

When Bear's Endurance wears off, you lose the +4 enhancement bonus, leaving you at 9 Con.

Cryov
2013-10-23, 01:26 PM
thanks for the help :)

The Viscount
2013-10-23, 03:40 PM
If you're trying to offset the cost for hellfire warlock, the most common methods I've seen are dipping Binder 1 for Naberius or taking shape soulmeld for the strongheart vest.

Chronos
2013-10-23, 03:52 PM
The flip side of this is, if you have a Bear's Endurance spell raising your Con to 14, and then take 1 point of Con damage, a lesser restoration spell will be able to restore you to 14 again.

The Random NPC
2013-10-23, 10:58 PM
Would this mean that a person with 10 Con and 10 points of Con damage can still walk around as long on Bear's Endurance lasts?

tyckspoon
2013-10-23, 11:04 PM
Would this mean that a person with 10 Con and 10 points of Con damage can still walk around as long on Bear's Endurance lasts?

Assuming 10 Con was their base score and not their Bear's Endurance-modified score, yes. Because as long as the Bear's Endurance lasts their score is 14, and 14-10 is still greater than 0. :smalltongue: