PDA

View Full Version : A devil with a level

AlanBruce
2013-10-23, 05:29 PM
Greetings! I'm building a small baatezu faction that may or may not face off against the PCs in my game.

The party is ECL 10 now, going to 11 soon enough. The devils are centered around the party's conjurer, who mentioned them heavily in his back story.

These devils are not meant to be fought now- maybe show up and pester and then leave. The classes aren't that optimized, given that baatezu as a whole are quite formidable, but variety is nice and it's fun to catch the party off guard when the monsters pull something off that wasn't expected.

These are the ones I have so far.

Erinyes Ranger 2/Deepwood Sniper2/Order of the Bow Initiate2

Bone Devil Paladin of Tyranny 2/Blackguard2/Pious Templar2

Dogai (FC2) Beguiler1/Unseen Seer4

The Party:

Human Prestige Paladin/Cleric/Inquisitor

Drow Lolth touched Paladin of Freedom/wizard/abjurant champion

Grey elf Conjurer

Grey elf Beguiler

Human Dragon Shaman (White)

The Party is very effective as a team, with the shaman's auras put to great effect, the beguiler and wizard confusing and casting BFCs and the paladins smiting and persisting (in the case of the cleric)

I don't plan on sending all these three at once, because, after all, devils have a bunch of innate powers in and of itself, but I would love some ideas for other devils with a few classes to differentiate them from the ones in the book.

I will, of course, add the classic as written devils from the books as lesser mooks, so to speak, but these guys are supposed to be the "elite" among their faction.

Any and all ideas are, as always, welcome and appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

aeauseth
2013-10-23, 05:35 PM
You might consider some foreshadowing. So far only one player is aware of this, and only as part of his back story.

Have the mooks interfere with the party (or player). Not via damage, but many have teleport abilities. Maybe there is an side story about collecting various artifacts. On the last round of a fight have several mooks teleport in and steal away the valuable artifact.

After several of these (space them out of course). They party might capture one, or acquire the artifact that was attempted to be stolen. After researching the artifact you can start to slowly reveal the plot.

AlanBruce
2013-10-23, 05:45 PM
Thank you. Oddly enough, the paladin went on a side quest with a Totemist (retired) to save an astral deva from an old ruined chapel way out of the main highway.

Inside, they found the deva trapped by some spell and very weakened, surrounded by a mob of lemures.

The paladin and Totemist made quick work of them and then the bone devil showed up and had a short scuffle before teleporting away.

The conjurer's name was mentioned, but the paladin never brought up the issue when he was back with the party as a whole.

It has been nearly a month in game and the PCs and players have probably forgotten about this, making a resurfacing very interesting, ideally.