PDA

View Full Version : Ways to identify magic items without spells

Devronq
2013-10-23, 05:31 PM
Is there any sort of way to identify magic items without spells? Like maybe with skill checks like knowledge arcana or whatever would be appropriate? If a homebrew answer would be totally ok as long as it is a good idea. Thanks guys :)

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-23, 05:34 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm#spellcraft

Devronq
2013-10-23, 05:40 PM
Hmm Thank you tippy, i was looking more for something pre epic that would allow you a chance of success at items appropriate to your level and low chance at items much stronger than your level. Is there anything else?

blelliot
2013-10-23, 05:45 PM
Appraise magic value feat from complete adventurer. Costs 25gp and takes eight hours, but gets the job done.

Psyren
2013-10-23, 05:59 PM
In Pathfinder, Spellcraft can be used to identify items without an epic check, provided you can see the item's aura (i.e. detect magic.) in fact, all the Identify spell does is duplicate detect magic while boosting your spellcraft check.

So, all you need to do is buy/drink a detect magic or identify potion and make your check.

Zanos
2013-10-23, 06:04 PM
In Pathfinder, Spellcraft can be used to identify items without an epic check, provided you can see the item's aura (i.e. detect magic.) in fact, all the Identify spell does is duplicate detect magic while boosting your spellcraft check.

So, all you need to do is buy/drink a detect magic or identify potion and make your check.
This is also true in 3.5:

Spellcraft: A character using the detect magic spell can attempt
a Spellcraft check to determine the school of magic associated
with the item’s powers. If the character exceeds the DC for this
check by 10 or more, the character magically divines the item’s
functions, its means of activation, and the number of charges
remaining.
A character can also use Spellcraft to identify potions. The
DC is 25, the check takes 1 minute, and she cannot retry if
she fails.

Spore
2013-10-23, 06:07 PM
Is there any sort of way to identify magic items without spells? Like maybe with skill checks like knowledge arcana or whatever would be appropriate? If a homebrew answer would be totally ok as long as it is a good idea. Thanks guys :)

Homebrew, eh?

Using the item in tests would be okay, I guess. An experienced fighter should be able to determine the base enchantments of weapons via an attack roll vs. the CL of the item. Armors could be identified with non lethal hits in training.

Magic rods, staves or wondrous items are clearly harder. But I guess an appropriate knowledge check with a penalty (for not seeing the magical aura) would be okay. Arcane for arcane items, Religion for divine ones. Also fitting Craft and Profession checks.

I would really be liberal with that. Just adjust the difficulty. 15 + CL for knowledge checks, 20 + CL for craft/profession checks.

Psyren
2013-10-23, 06:11 PM
This is also true in 3.5:

No it's not - all Spellcraft can do in 3.5 is identify the school(s) of magic associated with an item. In Pathfinder, a Spellcraft check can reveal all of the item's properties (e.g. command words, charges left etc.)

Big Fau
2013-10-23, 06:14 PM
Three Eternal Wands of Identify work if your party has an Arcane caster (or a guy with UMD ranks).

tyckspoon
2013-10-23, 06:17 PM
Magic Item Compendium provides for ID'ing an item via Spellcraft (in conjunction with Detect Magic) or Use Magic Device (beat the check to activate the item by 5+ and you also figure out what it is.) It also says you can get 'clues' via Know: Arcana or Search, based on the idea that just about every magic item is constructed in a way that is somehow relevant to what it does.

It also has the Artificer's Monocle, which is a fairly inexpensive item that lets you cast Detect Magic through it to actually fully Identify an item. Would be a good starting point if you wanted to 'brew something else.

Zanos
2013-10-23, 06:54 PM
No it's not - all Spellcraft can do in 3.5 is identify the school(s) of magic associated with an item. In Pathfinder, a Spellcraft check can reveal all of the item's properties (e.g. command words, charges left etc.)
...What? :smallconfused:

Spellcraft: A character using the detect magic spell can attempt
a Spellcraft check to determine the school of magic associated
with the item’s powers. If the character exceeds the DC for this
check by 10 or more, the character magically divines the item’s
functions, its means of activation, and the number of charges
remaining.
A character can also use Spellcraft to identify potions. The
DC is 25, the check takes 1 minute, and she cannot retry if
she fails.

It's in the book. Check it yourself.

Psyren
2013-10-23, 06:56 PM
...What? :smallconfused:

It's in the book. Check it yourself.

Wasn't aware of the MiC rule, but you can't do that in core 3.5 whereas you can in core PF.

holywhippet
2013-10-23, 07:08 PM
I've sometimes pondered the changes in identifying magical items between D&D editions:

1st ed: No idea, never played it.
2nd ed: Prepare for 8 hours to cast identify, chance of success is (caster level * 10)%, maximum 90%. Lost 8 CON after casting which recovers 1 point per hour with rest. So if you have less than 9 CON, you can't cast identify.
3.0: Identify takes 8 hours to cast and only tells you the lowest level of enchantment on an item (if multiple). Analyze dweomer needed for full analysis. I know of at least one cursed item that neither spell can correctly identify.
3.5: Identify takes 1 hour to cast and tells you everything about a magical item.
4: Take a short rest and after a few minutes of fiddling with the item you will generally know what it does. DM fiat allows them to ask for an arcana check or some other special measures to identify the item.