PDA

View Full Version : Warlock The Dead Walk abuse idea.

Erik Vale
2013-10-23, 06:23 PM
Warlocks can use The Dead Walk with a corpse in place of onyx gems as a material component for animate dead but the undead stays only 1min/CL [or 1min, can't remember, not the point].

This corpse doesn't have a cost, so, barring the fact it's to big to fit in a component pouch, would it be possible for a warlock to say, pull out a dragon skeleton and animate it from a component pouch? If so, can the playground think of any way to effectively apply an effect similar to eschew materials on The Dead Walk? I say effect similar to because said feat doesn't effect SLA's.

Of course, you could always say you walk around with a reeeealy large and heavy component pouch, so lets ignore that answer for now.

Zombulian
2013-10-23, 06:34 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM that's an interesting question. You're right that corpses don't have a price, and component pouches provide material components that have no price. But I'm pretty sure that the invocation targets the corpse, doesn't use it as a component.

Keneth
2013-10-23, 06:39 PM
The corpse is not a spell component, it's a target. And corpses aren't free, especially not dragon corpses. :smallconfused:

Emperor Tippy
2013-10-23, 06:52 PM
Just be a Psion with Animate Dead as a power known (spell to power erudite makes it a power; ideally from a Death Master so that its a level 2 spell), Psychic Chiguery gives it to a Psion). You spend 2 additional PP and you get to ignore the material component of the spell.

Psion 3 with the feat Midnight Augmentation with 2 essentia invested can use Animate Dead at no cost.

Erik Vale
2013-10-23, 06:55 PM
Thanks, checked and that the corpse is the target when onyx is missing is right, my mistake, I have no clue where I got the corpse as component idea but it's been floating around my head for a while.

Zombulian
2013-10-23, 06:59 PM
It happens.

gorfnab
2013-10-23, 07:44 PM
Master of Undeath feat from Complete Mage makes The Dead Walk a little more interesting.

Anxe
2013-10-23, 08:01 PM
Master of Undeath feat from Complete Mage makes The Dead Walk a little more interesting.

That one doesn't work. Master of Undeath affects control of the undead, but without the onyx the undead still crumble to dust after a few minutes. So you could control more undead, but they'd be dead-dead instead of undead. It'd be pretty sweet if it did work though.

Reize
2013-10-23, 08:14 PM
What if you had a psion buddy use minor creation to make say, a greenbound ogre corpse?

It would be nonliving, nonmagical vegetable matter. It would have a true anatomy making it usable as a zombie. And it should retain a skeleton (albeit one made of plant matter) so it could be made into a skeleton? As far as I can tell, animate dead doesn't have any restriction on using creatures with templates. Best yet, it uses the created corpse as the target, not the material component meaning the spell doesn't fail.

Kane0
2013-10-23, 08:50 PM
One thing warlocks are very good at is getting rid of the evidence. Use The Dead walk on a creature you have killed and wait for it to expire, you now have a small pile of dust instead of your victim.
Add in Baleful utterance and the infinitely usable Eldritch Blast (plus Hammer Blast if you must, but I don't see the point) and a team of Warlocks would be a formidable cleanup crew.