PDA

View Full Version : Creating a "half-XP for crafting" magic item.

Oryan77
2013-10-23, 06:24 PM
I have an intelligent item that I would like to give the ability to reduce the XP crafting cost by 1/2.

It is a hammer used specifically for forging weapons and armor.

What would the gp cost be to add a property like this to an intelligent item? Would it be a Greater Power?

Keneth
2013-10-23, 06:45 PM
Since Pathfinder removes all XP costs for crafting magic items, and the rulebook costs $50, I'd say $25 if you only want to reduce the cost by half. :smalltongue:

I don't think there's any objective way to put a price tag on an ability like this, but yes, it would definitely be greater power.

Oryan77
2013-10-23, 07:06 PM
Since Pathfinder removes all XP costs for crafting magic items, and the rulebook costs $50, I'd say $25 if you only want to reduce the cost by half. :smalltongue:

Heh, good one!

Crake
2013-10-23, 09:20 PM
Heh, good one!

Assuming the price of xp is 5gp per point (usual conversion rate), then you're looking at about 100gp value per day of crafting. So the more they craft, the better it becomes

Humble Master
2013-10-23, 09:32 PM
I'm just going to put it out there.

Any item that reduces the XP cost of crafting magical items in 3.5 is going to be horribly, painfully broken. Even limiting it to armor and weapons will not really fix the problem. XP cost is the only thing keeping casters from making an absolutely ungodly amount of magical items.

Perhaps make it so that this intelligent item has 500 or so crafting xp that the wielder can use. This could actually create an interesting situation were the smith must convince the hammer to expend some of it's own power to help make an item.

Telonius
2013-10-23, 09:54 PM
Legendary Artisan, a feat from Eberron, gets you a 25% reduction, and it's one of the more powerful crafting feats out there. (Also doesn't stack with itself). So basically, you're looking for an item that does twice as well as a very powerful feat.

I'd peg something this as a Minor Artifact, if anything.

If I had to design something similar ... it would give a percent discount on crafting XP equal to the number of ranks you have in an appropriate Craft skill, maxiumum 50% discount at 50 ranks. (Actual ranks, not the bonus to the check, so no Guidance of the Avatar shenanigans). I'd still price that somewhere around 50,000gp, at least.

Keneth
2013-10-24, 07:20 AM
Any item that reduces the XP cost of crafting magical items in 3.5 is going to be horribly, painfully broken. Even limiting it to armor and weapons will not really fix the problem. XP cost is the only thing keeping casters from making an absolutely ungodly amount of magical items.

Yeah... It's not broken in PF and it wouldn't be a lot more broken in 3.5. Not much more than artificers already are, anyway.

XP costs were a stupid idea anyway, if anything crafting items should give you XP.

Hunter Noventa
2013-10-24, 07:50 AM
Yeah... It's not broken in PF and it wouldn't be a lot more broken in 3.5. Not much more than artificers already are, anyway.

XP costs were a stupid idea anyway, if anything crafting items should give you XP.

it used to in 2nd Edition too I think.

XP was never much of a limiting factor on player-driven crafting. The main limitation always has been, and always will be, available downtime in which to craft.

Bronk
2013-10-24, 01:23 PM
The 'thought bottle' from Complete Arcane is a preexisting magic item that has a similar ability to the one you're looking for and costs 20,000 gold. That would put it within the 'greater power' range...