PDA

View Full Version : strangest class you've ever played

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-04, 12:51 PM
Title is pretty much self explanitory. Mine would have to the the alienist PrC out of complete arcane. Needless to say, that character was short lived, and I went ahead and created a hobgoblin barbarian/frienzied berzerker a session or two later.

Timespike
2007-01-04, 01:04 PM
If you count NPCs I've run as a GM, it gets very odd indeed. Probably the strangest was the Neutral Good Diaboli Spellsword/Alienist.

valadil
2007-01-04, 01:12 PM
I once played a cleric who thought he was a wizard. Truly, the most bizarre character I've ever played, but a very believable madman.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-04, 01:14 PM
I played a minotaur barbarian poet he wrote and recited very bad poetry during battle.

Artanis
2007-01-04, 01:14 PM
A Soulknife/Druid.

I was aiming for the Soulbow PrC, so I had a boatload of WIS that would otherwise go to waste until then, and realized that a Soulbow really gets shockingly little benefit out of Soulknife levels beyond what's required to qualify. So, I took a couple levels of Druid until my skills got high enough to enter the PrC. Unfortunately (or probably "fortunately", knowing how bad I am at that sort of character-building), the campaign died after two or three sessions.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-04, 01:33 PM
Gestalt Paladin/Spellthief, focused on archery and making cunning use of Greater Manyshot.

Errata
2007-01-04, 01:37 PM
I once played a cleric who thought he was a wizard. Truly, the most bizarre character I've ever played, but a very believable madman.

I think the other way around would make more sense. A cleric's powers aren't innate but are drawn from some external force. If the cleric doesn't believe they're a cleric, then how can they be properly upholding their divine responsibilities? I would think that any god would get mighty annoyed very quickly at being totally ignored and used like that, and the powers would come to an end until they were back in favor. If I was your DM, your character would have a difficult time of it.

A wizard, on the other hand, could easily have delusions that they're the prophet of some non-existent god, and it could be a lot of fun for them to roleplay a lunatic trying to recruit people into a religion he makes up as he goes along, performing arcane "miracles". With silent/still spell you could invent your own rituals to associate with your spells.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-04, 01:40 PM
...unless Fharlanghn/Boccob/[insert trickster/magic deity] thought it was entertaining at the time.

Valairn
2007-01-04, 01:52 PM
I think the other way around would make more sense. A cleric's powers aren't innate but are drawn from some external force. If the cleric doesn't believe they're a cleric, then how can they be properly upholding their divine responsibilities? I would think that any god would get mighty annoyed very quickly at being totally ignored and used like that, and the powers would come to an end until they were back in favor. If I was your DM, your character would have a difficult time of it.

A wizard, on the other hand, could easily have delusions that they're the prophet of some non-existent god, and it could be a lot of fun for them to roleplay a lunatic trying to recruit people into a religion he makes up as he goes along, performing arcane "miracles". With silent/still spell you could invent your own rituals to associate with your spells.

Of course in some campaign settings a god would in fact appear if he managed to gain worshipers and then he really would be a cleric!

Fax Celestis
2007-01-04, 01:56 PM
...which would probably be best represented as an Archivist.

Jack_of_Spades
2007-01-04, 02:02 PM
I made a chair rogue. He was an animated object that had become intelligent. He didn't like his creator much because he refused to build him a wife he could rock with, so the next time his creator sat down he surprised him with a leg to the face.
After that the chair took to the world and joined a group of adventurers so he could find himself a wife worthy of his greatness. Heset his heart on the Queen's Throne and adventured to claim her heart.
Once he felt he had done that he found a wizard to bring his bride to life. Then she ran off with the wizard and he had to track them down and destroy them both.

He had an ecl of +3 and two racial hit dice. Somthing around that.

Meat Shield
2007-01-04, 02:19 PM
I made a chair rogue. He was an animated object that had become intelligent. He didn't like his creator much because he refused to build him a wife he could rock with, so the next time his creator sat down he surprised him with a leg to the face.
After that the chair took to the world and joined a group of adventurers so he could find himself a wife worthy of his greatness. Heset his heart on the Queen's Throne and adventured to claim her heart.
Once he felt he had done that he found a wizard to bring his bride to life. Then she ran off with the wizard and he had to track them down and destroy them both.

He had an ecl of +3 and two racial hit dice. Somthing around that.

"Excuse me bartender - I'll have some of what Jack has been drinking."

DrummingDM
2007-01-04, 02:21 PM

He had an ecl of +3 and two racial hit dice. Somthing around that.I really like this. I have nothing interesting to add to the discussion. But this is the kind of idea I wish my PCs would come to me with. I'd okay this in a heartbeat.

Roderick_BR
2007-01-04, 02:22 PM
Wizard expert in Evocation. Started lawful, was slowly driven insane by his companions, was his by Chaos Hammer, died, then become a Blood Magus. He all his 3rd level spells memorized as Fireballs, scrolls of Fireballs, a wand of Fireballs, those little stones that let's you store 2 3rd level spells (guess what he had there), plus a couple Fireball scrolls inscribled on his own skin (Blood Magus skill).
A pretty interesting guy to play. To this day, his greatest feat was using a staff of teleport that everyone ignored, to teleport the group OUT of the dungeon, when all the traps and guards were about to get them.

Pegasos989
2007-01-04, 02:38 PM
I haven't played strange characters in that sense but after seeing OP's nick, I think I got a character concept...

Jack_of_Spades
2007-01-04, 06:13 PM
"Excuse me bartender - I'll have some of what Jack has been drinking."

A tall flagon of Whisky Trolls Farmed.

Another character that was a lot of fun was a multiclass Wizard/Wizard.
His names were Algirth rull Irth and Taleyrion ilm Irth. They were conjoined twins joined along the leg. They had three legs and one torso with four arms; they each controlled one arm on each side. They shared hit points, had -2 to AC vs Melee attacks, and a reduced movement speed, but they got two sets of actions a round. The DM kept my level about three behind the party's, but it was fun having two sets of spells per day.
Algirth was a Necromancer and Taleyrion was an Illusionist because I wasn't allowed to have an evoker; twice the average number fireballs per day = broken character.
They're favorite tactic was to cast phantasmal killer(or anything that could kill the target) and then Major image so it appeared that the person hit by the spell was okay.

They drank Troll Farmed Whiskey. The introduction to the party went like this.
"What are you drinking?"
"Troll Farmed Whiskey." Then they'd reach to shake the paladin's hand.
"What is that?"
"Whiskey Trolls Farmed."
Here the paladin sees that the hands are attached to the same body.
"WTF?"
"Yeah."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-04, 07:16 PM
A horse.

Not a fancy shmancy warhorse like paladins get, I was just the fighter's horse. It was a one-shot adventure of 3rd level and I was hyper so I just decided to be a horse.

Skyserpent
2007-01-04, 07:18 PM
Cleric of a God of Fire. He yelled at the Wizard a lot once his friend picked up Cone of Cold...

Amotis
2007-01-04, 07:21 PM
An Alienist too. I was under the influence of Lovecraft.

2007-01-04, 07:44 PM
as a PC? a Giant Owl, who was the sentient animal companion of my exalted druid.

as a DM? Kreacher, a Kobold Apostle of Peace

Sir_Banjo
2007-01-04, 07:57 PM
I played a barbarian/paladin once. Reached lvl 8 before the campaign disintegrated. That guy was so much fun, he could take everything.

2007-01-04, 08:19 PM
I played a barbarian/paladin once. Reached lvl 8 before the campaign disintegrated. That guy was so much fun, he could take everything.

I hear lots of Paladin/Barbarian ideas, but no one ever wants to play a Bard/Monk...

Wonder why :smallsigh:

Jarl
2007-01-04, 08:26 PM
1st Ed Magic User in a 2nd Ed homebrew.

-It was... messy. We ended up creating a homebrew class based off it, "Magic Enthusiast".

mikeejimbo
2007-01-04, 08:30 PM
Orc Bard. I was going to be a Half-Orc Bard, but convinced the DM to let me play an Orc. I smashed people with my lute.

It was a one-shot adventure for April Fool's.

2007-01-04, 08:52 PM
Orc Bard. I was going to be a Half-Orc Bard, but convinced the DM to let me play an Orc. I smashed people with my lute.

It was a one-shot adventure for April Fool's.

There's nothing strange at all about an Orc Bard with Perform[Hip-Hop]

:thog: Me name am Thog and me here to say
:thog: That Thog love rapping in a major way!

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-04, 08:58 PM
The one I'm presently playing. A chaotic good/neutral/evil rogue changeling, about to take the chameleon prestige class. See, every few hours I roll a d6. On 1-2, I'm the good "Ethan" variant. On 3-4, I'm the neutral "Hante" variant. On 5-6, I'm the evil "Thane" variant. As the story goes, my character performed one too many disguise self's and bluff checks, and can't remember who he is. So he just sort of picks one of these three major personalities at random. It's nearly impossible to tell which he is at any given time without magic or epic skill checks.

The DM's threatening to include a party NPC paladin to chain me up every time I set off his detect evil.

Karsh
2007-01-04, 09:05 PM
An Ogre Barbarian with an INT of 3, a WIS of 4, and a CHA of 3. He was so stupid that he thought he was a wizard and kept a spellbook with very poorly drawn visual depictions of simple spells. All of his offensive and even most of his defensive "spells" had a verbal component of shouting his name ("Archibald!") and a somatic component of smashing the target with his Greataxe.

He also had a teleport spell with a casting time of "However long it takes to run screaming with your arms flailing wildly above your head to your destination."

The game didn't last long, but he managed to smash several chairs sized for Medium characters, misunderstand how his darkvision worked (he thought he was going blind), and nearly flew into a rage to try and smash his way out of basically a hall of mirrors deep underground. Thank god nobody got severely injured or his Cure Light Wounds might have finished them off.

bosssmiley
2007-01-04, 09:45 PM
If you count NPCs I've run as a GM, it gets very odd indeed. Probably the strangest was the Neutral Good Diaboli Spellsword/Alienist.

Diaboli? The Mystara race revisited in one of the Dragon 'Campaign Classics' issues? Oh you magnificent weirdo you! :smallbiggrin:

Mine? Paladin of Leeroy Jenkins modelled on the old berserk kit from the 2nd Ed. "Vikings" historical sourcebook. So much fun! Wish I'd had the PHB2 with the Charging Smite variant when I was playing him. :smallcool:

Zincorium
2007-01-04, 10:36 PM
Incredibly tortured but very polite and helpful halfling warlock. May ye rest in peace, Brodbing Nagon.

tarbrush
2007-01-05, 05:37 PM
I've never tried it, but i'd love to see someone play an artificer with a vow of poverty.

Green Bean
2007-01-05, 06:09 PM
All of his offensive and even most of his defensive "spells" had a verbal component of shouting his name ("Archibald!") and a somatic component of smashing the target with his Greataxe.

He also had a teleport spell with a casting time of "However long it takes to run screaming with your arms flailing wildly above your head to your destination."

You have just overloaded my sense of humour :smallbiggrin:

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-05, 08:02 PM
I just had an excellent idea for an NPC in my gestalt campaign. A tiefling ninja/warlock with spiky blonde hair and an orange jumpsuit. Every time he uses any ability, he taunts the enemy with how he's going to be emperor one day and says "Believe it!"

mikeejimbo
2007-01-05, 08:17 PM
I just had an excellent idea for an NPC in my gestalt campaign. A tiefling ninja/warlock with spiky blonde hair and an orange jumpsuit. Every time he uses any ability, he taunts the enemy with how he's going to be emperor one day and says "Believe it!"

Oh God oh God...

I suppose you want the PCs to want to kill him?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-05, 08:19 PM
Lord I hope so. But first I'll surprise them when he suddenly turns out to be a werewolf too.

Khantalas
2007-01-05, 09:17 PM

This sounds... familiar.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-01-05, 09:22 PM
An Ogre Barbarian with an INT of 3, a WIS of 4, and a CHA of 3. He was so stupid that he thought he was a wizard and kept a spellbook with very poorly drawn visual depictions of simple spells. All of his offensive and even most of his defensive "spells" had a verbal component of shouting his name ("Archibald!") and a somatic component of smashing the target with his Greataxe.

The game didn't last long, but he managed to smash several chairs sized for Medium characters, misunderstand how his darkvision worked (he thought he was going blind), and nearly flew into a rage to try and smash his way out of basically a hall of mirrors deep underground. Thank god nobody got severely injured or his Cure Light Wounds might have finished them off.

OMG that's awesome! Hehehe...

Collin152
2007-01-05, 10:06 PM
Gah! How dare they translate Datteybayo as believe it! Remember= Hideous Blow= rasengan; They are both impossible to use effectivly.

Toric
2007-01-06, 12:30 AM
I've never tried it, but i'd love to see someone play an artificer with a vow of poverty.

.....Oh, so a Commoner.
One PC I haven't gotten to play with yet but is in the works is a Chaos Gnome Magewright, modeled after a certain turnip-juice guzzling character from a popular video game.

The_Pope
2007-01-06, 01:25 AM
Way back in 1st edition, I had a gnomish thief/illusionist. Was geared to be a good-natured, fun gnome character, but it didnt turn out that way. Instead, in a battle, he got hit with a psionic blast and was inflicted with megalomania. The DM played it out perfect. During the course of the battle, my gnome had gotten his leg broken. When my DM pulled me aside and said "You suddenly have the power to heal and kill things with a touch", I honestly believed him (weird things have happend through the course of his games, obviously). So, I had my gnome grasp his leg, in the hopes of healing it completely. And to him, thats what it looked like. Then, I had him run up to his attacker and grab his balls, seeing as though it would kill him. The guy dropped over dead, (at least, thats what he saw happen) and I had him run a lap of victory. What the party saw was a totally different story.
The gnome touched his leg, then grabbed his opponents balls (the man became very uncomfortable, and weirded out) and then proceeded to hobble around hooting with a severly broken leg flopping around.

Afterwards, I remarkably survived combat (having realized he had become a megalomaniac) and decided to get a group of followers to worship me and my divine powers. I tried to convert the party or they would be destroyed by my awesome might. They refused, and I attempte to smite them, but I ended up being criticaled in the head by the party's other gnome and his bare fist and knocked out cold, and his skull crushed.

I inadvertedly got one of the other characters in the party killed with the same gnome, and from that day on he curses gnomes with a fiery passion. I loved that little guy so much.

volrathxp
2007-01-08, 12:27 PM
Strangest? Well I once roleplayed a Kobold Barbarian/Swashbuckler who fought with a Spiked chain. He was a bodyguard (cohort) to my main PC, the Dread Pirate Tom, and was forbidden by Tom to speak Common.

He spoke only Undercommon and the occasional Draconic, and it gave me an opportunity to come up with a Kobold-ized version of Undercommon that sounded a lot like the word "taco" repeated over and over.

He was fun though, he had a compulsive habit of making traps and in the middle of a Stormreach street tried to dig a spike trap right in the middle to get people to fall into it. There was also a halfling in the group later on that he tried to push into a small series of bear traps. Why? Because he was bored, and thought the halfling smelled funny.

When it came to combat however, he was a true badass. The eventual class distinctions, had he been able to make it far enough if the main character hadn't died was to be a Barbarian/Swashbuckler/Exotic Weapon Master/Duelist

Scarily enough, it worked quite well, even with the -4 Str penalty to Kobolds. He was able to hit quite often with his weapon finesse, and while he didn't do much damage, he hit a lot more often than most other characters.

Dareon
2007-01-09, 05:24 AM
An Elf Artificer who's the party's back-up tank. Also the back-up healer, primary dungeonmonkey, and, once our Ex-Paladin starts taking Sorcerer, back-up caster. So far he hasn't been too effective, but his Search checks are through the roof.

That's the only one I've actually played, but I suppose the Drow I made once counts as odd. Fighter, LN or LE, uses a hand crossbow and poison. How odd is that? :smalltongue:

Punokel Kaessir
2007-01-12, 01:51 AM
Just had to register for this thread!

One of my Human Fighter/Ranger/Mage have a female shrew as a familiar, using the statline of the rat. As it is a game on the net, often characters go away, return, ect

My fighter want to look on the bard/sorceror of the party as he is a young half elf, who think of him as a paternal figure.

So the fighter leave behind him his familiar, that I roleplay. The fighter departed for two years, and the familiar become close of his charge. She protect him, communicate with him (squeaking , miming and writing on sand with her tail, quite funny)

As she has the same BAB as his master, she have 3 attacks per round and around 60 hp... and find the gnomes wizard quite tasty. When she fend low level ennemys, they were dropping fast, it was funny. And not even a maul oculd stop her :)

She was our honorific paladin shrew ::smallbiggrin:

Armads
2007-01-12, 04:46 AM
i played a pixie ghost monk, whose only skill was to run, and run really quickly. he had high AC, SR, and was incredibly fast (and unkillable).

blackout
2007-01-12, 05:45 AM
I once played a class my DM homebrewed: Lich Philactery. Seriously. I was the philactery for another player, who, might I add, NEVER POLISHED ME!

AKA_Bait
2007-01-12, 05:08 PM
CG Bard/Cleric of Sharess.
"The Patron Saint of Whores and Drunkards"
Had a never ending flask of wine, would divert the party to cure disease infected whorehouses, would try to convert followers by liberally handing out free drinks and 'companions' for the evening paid for with his loot and never failed to try to hook up the NPCs, Party members, or get the BBEG drunk. Alas, he died sucessfully bluffing Lolth into thinking Shar had betrayed her. Replaced by a potentially equally entertaining Rogue who thinks he's a spellsword.

AKA_Bait
2007-01-12, 05:13 PM
Arg, sorry was a double post of above. My bad.

Dihan
2007-01-12, 05:23 PM
A psionic, vampire spork; it was a joke rp, there was also a barbaric chicken and a fw other things I can't remember.

Cocktail Umbrellas
2007-01-13, 02:50 PM
Bard/Necromancer, CN, member of the Revolutionary League.
Nothing quite like singing, zombies & anarchy ^_^

Enlong
2007-01-13, 03:34 PM

Actually, in the Cleric Quintet, the titular cleric, Cadderly, was an agnostic for about three of the five books, beliving it was some form of wizardly or psionic magic. Of course, his god was Denir, who encourages questions, so it was all good.

Dr. Weasel
2007-01-15, 02:45 PM
Venerable Bard has-been trying to make his rock-and-roll comeback. Singing (and of course extended lute solos) seemed to attract monster attacks and the age penalties seemed to make him go down in one hit fairly often. He was fun to play, though.

Black Mage
2007-01-15, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Karsh

I would like to thank you for the concussion I got when my head hit my desk from laughing to hard. This was great.

Njerus_Xhazekarath
2007-01-16, 03:48 AM
I played Female Human Shadowcaster 12 in an Eberron campaign once. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Although the fun did not last for as long as I would've hoped. Damn those Filverslimes... lol