PDA

View Full Version : Another question

Hannes
2007-01-04, 12:56 PM
How many magic items can you wear? How many for each slot?

Also, can you wear two of the same rings at once?

Neo
2007-01-04, 12:59 PM
Magic Items On The Body

Many magic items need to be donned by a character who wants to employ them or benefit from their abilities. It’s possible for a creature with a humanoid-shaped body to wear as many as twelve magic items at the same time. However, each of those items must be worn on (or over) a particular part of the body.
A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn.
One headband, hat, helmet, or phylactery on the head
One pair of eye lenses or goggles on or over the eyes
One amulet, brooch, medallion, necklace, periapt, or scarab around the neck
One vest, vestment, or shirt on the torso
One robe or suit of armor on the body (over a vest, vestment, or shirt)
One belt around the waist (over a robe or suit of armor)
One cloak, cape, or mantle around the shoulders (over a robe or suit of armor)
One pair of bracers or bracelets on the arms or wrists
One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#gauntlet) on the hands
One ring on each hand (or two rings on one hand)
One pair of boots or shoes on the feetfrom the d20srd.org

You can wear any 2 rings, although I think with deflection armor bonuses they highest bonus counts, they don't stack.

Tokiko Mima
2007-01-04, 01:00 PM
Your question is answered here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody

Edit: Aww.. Neo wins!

Hannes
2007-01-04, 01:01 PM
Do cloaks count as armor?

Tokiko Mima
2007-01-04, 01:03 PM
Nope.

As you can see on the list, they're different items.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-04, 01:04 PM
Do cloaks count as armor?

Cloaks are seperate; they take up the 'shoulders' slot.

Hannes
2007-01-04, 01:09 PM
I mean, as for monk.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-04, 01:12 PM
.......No?

Hannes
2007-01-04, 01:13 PM
Sorry for being such a n00b on monks <_<

Tokiko Mima
2007-01-04, 03:07 PM
Your class doesn't matter on where magic items can be placed. As long as you don't put more than the maximum allowed limit on (usually 1, 2 for rings) at one time, they'll function.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-01-04, 03:30 PM
You can even wear Bracers of Armor and it still does not count as 'armor'.

Neo
2007-01-04, 03:49 PM
But bracers of armor don't stack with regular armor.

Person_Man
2007-01-04, 05:11 PM
For extra confusion, you should note the type of bonuses each magic item gives you.

This applies not just to magic items, but to everything in D&D. Bonuses of the same type do not stack, they overlap. The exceptions are: Dodge bonuses, Unnamed Bonuses, Synergy Bonuses, Circumstance bonuses arising from different circumstances, and anything that specifically tells you that it stacks in the text of its description.

So, if you have an amulet of Natural Armor +1 and a Cloak of Natural Armor +1, your total bonus to Natural Armor is +1, because bonuses of the same type don't stack. This gets particularly tricky/debatable because a bunch of prestige classes offer all sorts of wierd bonuses, often mimicing magic items.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-04, 05:12 PM
Synergy Bonuses

Synergy isn't a type of bonus. The bonus from skill synergy is unnamed.

MrNexx
2007-01-04, 05:20 PM
So, if you have an amulet of Natural Armor +1 and a Cloak of Natural Armor +1, your total bonus to Natural Armor is +1, because bonuses of the same type don't stack. This gets particularly tricky/debatable because a bunch of prestige classes offer all sorts of wierd bonuses, often mimicing magic items.

Actually, this specific example is incorrect. Because the cloak of natural armor likely offers a natural armor bonus, whereas the amulet of natural armor actually offers an enhancement bonus to your natural armor.

I swear, D&D needs a new shampoo... it splits these hairs so fine...

Person_Man
2007-01-04, 10:42 PM
Whoops, right you are MrNexx and Bears. Man, I should put more time into my example. But I think the point is still correct. Double check how things stack, because it might overlap.