PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Items for modern setting

Milo v3
2013-10-23, 10:30 PM
In Complete Arcane it mentions the idea of using flavour alternatives for magic items such as scrolls and potions. I was planning on doing a similiar thing with my d20 modern setting.

I'm thinking potions would probably become syringes, but I have no idea with wands and staffs.

Any ideas?

Demonic_Spoon
2013-10-24, 11:02 AM
In Complete Arcane it mentions the idea of using flavour alternatives for magic items such as scrolls and potions. I was planning on doing a similiar thing with my d20 modern setting.

I'm thinking potions would probably become syringes, but I have no idea with wands and staffs.

Any ideas?

Wands look like guns. Staffs look like bazookas.

Kioras
2013-10-24, 01:51 PM

Any ideas?

Potions can be syringes, or pills like vitamines, inhalers, ect. Any sort of medicine delivery system.

Staves, can be multi function smart phones, you just go to the app store and pay gold to dl the spells needed along with charges.

Wands, you probably want a simplier device. It would depend on the fuction of the wand. Most might appear similiar to a laser pointer, others would be a sort of hand held scanning devic.

Milo v3
2013-10-24, 03:42 PM
Wands look like guns. Staffs look like bazookas.
This will be set in Australia, where the gun laws would get you completely screwed if you were 17 years old and making bazookas and guns. I probably shouldn't use that. :smalltongue:

Potions can be syringes, or pills like vitamines, inhalers, ect. Any sort of medicine delivery system.

Staves, can be multi function smart phones, you just go to the app store and pay gold to dl the spells needed along with charges.

Wands, you probably want a simplier device. It would depend on the fuction of the wand. Most might appear similiar to a laser pointer, others would be a sort of hand held scanning devic.
Hm... So each would have a list of possible forms rather than just "Wand = This." And I do like the idea of using an app as Staffs, "nearly" everyone has a phone.

Kioras
2013-10-24, 03:56 PM
This will be set in Australia, where the gun laws would get you completely screwed if you were 17 years old and making bazookas and guns. I probably shouldn't use that. :smalltongue:

Hm... So each would have a list of possible forms rather than just "Wand = This." And I do like the idea of using an app as Staffs, "nearly" everyone has a phone.

The idea would be in a modern setting, you want form to follow function, especially with the modern understanding of ergonomic tools. You also would want things that do not appear out of place with the job that they are doing, especially if it is modern day. Concelability and deniability would be very useful.

Wands could also be a small add on, into common devices, something similiar to a wand chamber. If it is a battery operated device, with the wand 'battery' installed it acts like a magic item, but with a standard AAA battery it works like the device does normally. A multimeter might be a special deviation related device for a lot of things with the wand installed, or a normal multimeter with the AAA batteries. You could rule those items as Masterwork items in regards to UMD skill and give a +2 bonus to the UMD.