PDA

View Full Version : Criteria for Advertising/Linking?

PallElendro
2013-10-24, 12:25 AM
I posted a thread on my beta access to Battlefield 4 about a month ago in Games (Other), but the moderators removed it due to advertising, which was not my intent.

If at all possible, I'd like to know how to avoid making that mistake in the future. I wouldn't want to be banned by my own mistakes.

happyturtle
2013-10-24, 04:58 AM
You can see if you have any Warnings or Infractions in your Control Panel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/usercp.php). This will let you see if you're in danger of accumulating enough infractions that they would consider banning you. I would recommend PMing the moderator who removed your post for more specifics.

ChristianSt
2013-10-24, 05:16 PM
You can see if you have any Warnings or Infractions in your Control Panel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/usercp.php). This will let you see if you're in danger of accumulating enough infractions that they would consider banning you. I would recommend PMing the moderator who removed your post for more specifics.

I don't think that was the answer to PallElendro's question.
I think he is unsure because he posted something that he did not considered advertising but the moderators considered as advertising.
I can't really say something definitely (since I'm no mod), but first thing I would consider, is whether the main goal of the site is to sell something. If yes (say something like a shop* or crowdfunding**), then I would consider it as advertising. If the site has no ability to sell something, then I would say it can't really be advertising (ok, some sites may try to generate revenue through ads or traffic).

In between there is a greyer area I can't really say anything about. And it could probably be that it depends on other factors as well. Mainly if someone reports it as advertising. I can't really think the mods are able to visit every site, and maybe sometimes they don't judge so harshly, but if say three users reported it, they might be more inclined to do something about it. Another factor may by how you represent that link (which might be a factor whether it gets reported or not).

*I personally think it is ok to point to the shopping outlets the Giant uses, but only to his stuff (so the Ookoodook, CafePress and Moorland Games OotS sections - linking to other stuff on these I would still consider advertising)

**There are threads where is it ok to post links to Kickstarter, so posting such links in these threads is certainly ok.

Rockphed
2013-10-24, 05:51 PM

The time to learn how to follow the rules is not when a ban is impending. The time to learn is NOW! *Heroic Pose*

Frankly, the best person to ask about why your post was deemed spam is whichever moderator issued the action. I think the PM informing you of said action is sent from the mod who hit the button, but I don't know that for sure. If it takes a long time to get an answer, or their answer is not enlightening, Roland St Jude and Rawhide are the next people to ask. Rawhide and Roland typically do a good job answering questions(though I have seen one or the other miss the point of someone's questions a time or two; nobody is perfect), so the quest should stop there.

Remember to be patient. The mods are unpaid volunteers who would much rather be enjoying the forum than fending off the relentless hoards of spambots. If their answer to your question leaves you still confused, consider other ways to ask the question. Also, getting up in their grill will not actually make them answer your question faster.

Good luck finding an answer.

Roland St. Jude
2013-10-24, 10:58 PM
...Frankly, the best person to ask about why your post was deemed spam is whichever moderator issued the action....If it takes a long time to get an answer, or their answer is not enlightening, Roland St Jude and Rawhide are the next people to ask....Sheriff: This is pretty much the best answer for you.