PDA

View Full Version : Web comic design

Yo-jimbo
2007-01-04, 01:01 PM
I'm looking to start my own web comic, and know what I would like to make it about, but was wondering the process some of the other webcomic designers use? I have been thinking about using illustrator, but I haven't used it for years and am not familiar with it any more. Also, how do people start there comics, do they make a couple of story boards, a script, or anything along those lines? Any feed back would be appriciated.

Bryn
2007-01-04, 01:22 PM
Before you read this post, bear in mind I am likely near the bottom of the scale of webcomic authors, with four comics.

I never plan much further than having the idea for a joke in my head. I'll usually have an idea of what will happen in each panel, and I scripted the first comic, but the rest of the time I'll mainly make it up as I go along.

I use Inkscape for my comics, a good way to start is with the tutorial (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=185496&postcount=99). However, I add shading by creating translucent black shapes over the characters.

bongotezz
2007-01-05, 02:04 PM
i like to write scripts well in advance. i have like 70 scripts for superteam and only 18 of them made so far. i have released 13 of them so far. i like to keep a few of them ready to post in case i dont have time to make new ones. when i first started making them i spent several days experimenting with styles and programs and how to make them.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-05, 03:07 PM
I'm brand new to the webcomic scene (anyone that's checked mine knows already that I'm having trouble figuring out a lot of things like layout and anti-aliasing), but I've got some experience with producing comics in general and an exceedingly long track record when it comes to writing (search for a book called "Sanitational Worker: The Anthology", or go to YouTube and type in Sanitational Worker, and you should see some of my web-searchable endeavours to date).

Storywise, I always come up with the plot long in advance. I like to think the plot and characters through so that they're as fleshed out as possible. I try to stay away from one dimensional characters or obvious plot lines. I don't write much of this down, however, until I'm about to start making it. Often times the process of actually creating the story ends up making the story deviate heavily from my original plans, as the characters behave so realistically that they rewrite themselves. If you've reached this state, congratulations! I normally only ever see this in veterans and masters of writing.

Comic creation-wise, I split everything up into parts. First, I figure out the layout of the particular page I'm on and what all I want said in it. Then I draw the layout by hand. From there, I create the pencil art, starting with rough sketches and evolving them into proper pieces. I then take the finished pencils and put them over a light box (easy to make one yourself, it's just two THIN sheets of glass over a light source) and create an inked version of the pencils. Then I use a computer scanner and tell it to only pick up the image in black and white, no grayscale. Some artists use grayscale, but I dislike the "fuzzy" look it sometimes gives.

Then it depends on what you have in terms of hardware and software. If you have a Wacom tablet, you have plenty of excellent tools at your disposal to color your comic. Otherwise... well, this will be hard. Very hard. You might even want to keep it as pure colors without shading with paint. In that case, DO NOT scan in as a grayscale image, ever. That will ruin it.

Finally, appologize profusely to everyone when it's late because you realize that, realistically, that's way too much damn work for only one person. But it does go quicker every time, and if you plan ahead for yourself better (two days, minimum, to complete every single page) you'll be capable of keeping up with it all.

I would like to once again appologize for the lateness of my comic, by the way. It won't be up until either tonight or early tomorrow morning :P

oriong
2007-01-07, 02:57 AM
Really, what's most important is what works for you, I know many different webcomic authors, and almost all of them use different styles and methods, but they work for them. I've been doing my comic for about 3 years now, and I've changed my process many times, it's just something that you have to find on your own. Experiment, practice, give it a go.

A lot depends on the type of comic you plan on making too. Gag comic? story based? long term story, or short term humor?

the process I'm using is fairly seat-of-the-pants, I've got a general idea for how the comic will go but I don't do story boards, or pre-scripts. in fact I rarely know exactly what the dialogue will be until after I have drawn the comic and colored it in. I have a good idea of where the story is going, but very few specific scense or lines planned out.

Om
2007-01-07, 11:43 AM
Remember the Golden Rule of webcomic success - start in 1998.

pclips
2007-01-07, 04:42 PM
Remember the Golden Rule of webcomic success - start in 1998.

It's way more complicated than that, my friend.

That is, if I have any grasp of it at all. I feel like I could write a book about what causes webcomics to succeed or fail. And I might. But first I'll have to prove to myself that I know what the hell I am talking about. :smallwink:

Yo-jimbo
2007-01-08, 01:51 AM
I have started my character sketches and my story. I will be posting a link as soon as I get done. I don't know how long it will take though. And if anyone else has suggestions or helps please post them.

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-08, 02:08 PM
I have started my character sketches and my story. I will be posting a link as soon as I get done. I don't know how long it will take though. And if anyone else has suggestions or helps please post them.

Talk to your wiser older brother LOL:smallsmile: (this is his wiser older brother)