PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Envoy Complete Psionics

Adonis
2013-10-24, 01:56 AM
My DM says that an Elemental envoy shares my spot/listen checks because he is summoned by me, but he won't listen when i say that an emberling is a separate being that would live in the plane of fire still if i never called it. Where in the 3.5 books would convince him that it would get its own spot? HELP!!!

CyberThread
2013-10-24, 02:18 AM
hm..if it shares spot/listen, then it should also share your buffs ;)

TuggyNE
2013-10-24, 02:27 AM
My DM says that an Elemental envoy shares my spot/listen checks because he is summoned by me, but he won't listen when i say that an emberling is a separate being that would live in the plane of fire still if i never called it. Where in the 3.5 books would convince him that it would get its own spot? HELP!!!

The fact that it's a separate creature.

As far as I know, there is no rule anywhere in 3.x that states that two creatures, however similar or related or linked or tied, share the results of Spot checks. Indeed, the ability of familiars and psicrystals (which are not merely summoned, but actually contain a portion of the essence/personality of their master) to make Aid Another checks strongly implies that they're different enough for skill purposes.

Basically, your DM is making up a rule and expecting you to prove it does not exist, when the inverse should be the case, and they should be showing why this would ever make sense under any circumstances; this simply is not part of the assumptions of 3.x.

avr
2013-10-24, 02:27 AM
It's a separate being, like a familiar. If it's present and can be separately targeted, there's no reason it shouldn't get its own skill checks.

Psyren
2013-10-24, 08:47 AM
Show him this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0143.html) :smalltongue:

Adonis
2013-10-24, 09:28 PM
He is now also saying that he doesn't know anything that i don't know, and i'm like... What? He grew up in the plane of fire and doesn't know a thing about it?!?!?!

And i showed him that, waiting for response now. :smallbiggrin:

CyberThread
2013-10-24, 10:08 PM
what is yoru build, if I may ask adnois?

Adonis
2013-10-25, 07:56 PM
I am 4 levels of psion(Seer) currently. Going for 1 more level of psion then the diamond dragon PrCl. For ability scores he gave everyone 85 points to put into them from 0, then use racial modifiers.

Race: Elan
HP: 41
PPoints: 27
AC: 14(have inertial armor, gives me 6 more)
Str 13
Dex 15
Con 18
Int 18
Wis 10
Cha 10
Flaws: Murky Vision, Unreactive
Feats: Elan Resilience, Psionic Body, Psicrystal affinity, Maximize Power, Elemental Envoy, Scribe Tattoo

Don't think im missing anything important

avr
2013-10-25, 08:32 PM
I think I see the problem. Your DM's probably annoyed that you have two different familiar-analogues and so beings you control are getting maybe three rolls on each spot/listen check between them. It may also look like an attempt to bypass the flaws you've chosen for your character.

You can disprove the arguments he's using but the reason he's using the arguments isn't going to go away just because you do so. It might be better to talk to him and work out some compromise, probably involving retraining or rebuilding your character.

Adonis
2013-10-25, 09:04 PM
elemental envoy replaces your psi crystal, you can't use both at the same time
Also the flaws in total is, i have to reroll miss chance for concealment, and get -6 initiative. No spot negatives. My DM knows this.