PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Exalted and Vile

Xuldarinar
2013-10-24, 07:33 AM
Both a point of curiosity, and a challenge. Can you have a character who has levels in a prestige class from BoVD and a prestige class from BoED, who can still use class features from both.

hamishspence
2013-10-24, 08:21 AM
A hellbred (FC2) can take levels in Evil-only prestige classes and the like, and retain such abilities despite being Good.

Though they'd have to be careful to only use those features from the PRc that don't qualify as "committing an evil act" once they've taken a BoED prestige class, if they wish to keep the BoED prestige class's powers.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-24, 08:34 AM
A hellbred (FC2) can take levels in Evil-only prestige classes and the like, and retain such abilities despite being Good.

Though they'd have to be careful to only use those features from the PRc that don't qualify as "committing an evil act" once they've taken a BoED prestige class, if they wish to keep the BoED prestige class's powers.

I think evil exception only extends to spells and magic items. If I'm wrong, that would certainly make for something interesting. Use a disciple PrC to advance an Exalted Casting PrC. Apostle of Peace/Disciple of Asmodeus?

Red Fel
2013-10-24, 08:34 AM
Disclaimer: I don't have BoED or BoVD in front of me, so I can't double-check my facts on class prereqs.

As I recall, however, prereqs tend to be things like "any good" or "any evil."

If I recall correctly, an Outsider with an alignment subtype (i.e. Outsider (Good), Outsider (Evil)) is treated as having that alignment for purposes of spells, feats, and classes regardless of whether they actually have that alignment. Thus, a Lawful Good Succubus Paladin (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20050824a) is treated as being Good by merit of her actual alignment, and Evil by merit of her type and subtype (a Succubus is an Outsider (Chaotic, Extraplanar, Evil)). As a bonus, she is also treated as both Lawful and Chaotic for the same reasons.

That's assuming my recollection is correct. If so, in theory you could go the other direction as well (e.g. an Evil Angel) and still satisfy both requirements.

Psyren
2013-10-24, 09:07 AM
The easy way is to be subtyped - creatures with an alignment subtypes count as their subtype and their actual alignment simultaneously.

Fun tidbit: Ancestral Relic, despite being in BoED, is not an exalted feat. So Anointed Knight actually requires no exalted feats to enter (and is the only PrC in BoED that doesn't.) It does however require good alignment. But if you're not using the CArc/CWar rules then you can take Anointed Knight, turn evil, and then pursue the BoVD class of your choice.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-24, 09:16 AM
The easy way is to be subtyped - creatures with an alignment subtypes count as their subtype and their actual alignment simultaneously.

Fun tidbit: Ancestral Relic, despite being in BoED, is not an exalted feat. So Anointed Knight actually requires no exalted feats to enter (and is the only PrC in BoED that doesn't.) It does however require good alignment. But if you're not using the CArc/CWar rules then you can take Anointed Knight, turn evil, and then pursue the BoVD class of your choice.

I was just thinking about that. Perhaps go from Anointed Knight into Warrior of Darkness.

Edit: or the other way around even..