PDA

View Full Version : CL on Intelligent Items?

Diarmuid
2013-10-24, 10:26 AM
I cant find anything that lists what the CL for an intelligent item's various powers are.

Also, does an intelligent item have to have the required minimum casting stat for it's powers? I'm guessing not, as the item isnt technically casting the spells, but rather whoever put the spells in there must have been able to meet the various requierements.

WinWin
2013-10-24, 11:11 AM
I typically use the rule that if a CL is not specified, it is the minimum CL that would be required to cast the spell.

So CL 1 for level 1, CL 3 for level 2, CL 5 for level 3, etc.

TuggyNE
2013-10-24, 05:41 PM
I cant find anything that lists what the CL for an intelligent item's various powers are.

It's probably like an SLA, so just use its HD!

Oh wait. :smallyuk:

In all seriousness, the CMW lesser power is clear that it is using a CL of 3, so WinWin's heuristic is probably correct.

Big Fau
2013-10-24, 05:50 PM
I believe it defaults to either the bare minimum or to the item's own CL, not sure which though.

shaikujin
2013-10-24, 11:58 PM
I think the crafter decides what CL each of the powers use (anywhere from min required, up to that crafter's CL).

Also, min CL for crafting the intelligent item is 15:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

If it was found as loot/or bought, then assume min CL.

If you crafted it, you can decide to use the max CL you have.

Any errors to my understanding?

Diarmuid
2013-10-25, 08:53 AM
I was more thinking of an item that has wildly different levels of abilities and that there isnt anything in the section about cost and CL.

Just seems odd for an item to have CMW at CL 3 and then True Res at CL 17 in the same item.