PDA

View Full Version : Build Help: Mutants and Masterminds 3rd edition

Metahuman1
2013-10-24, 11:06 AM
So, I've got a game on another web site I'm expecting to be applying too in the near future. It's a game in progress and I'm an alternate, and one of the other players hasn't said a peep in 2 weeks. So, I'm anticipating player attrition has kicked in and I'll get a shot at getting in soon, and making preparations since it takes me forever to make characters sometimes.

As it happens, of late I've been watching the anime series Fairy Tail, and the web series RWBY. And I've become quite interested in/taken with the characters of Natsu Salamander and Yang Shou Long, and with the general flavor of "It's less that I'm super strong/fast that makes me formidable in melee, and more that I'm just super awesome!"

And I was wondering how would I go about building a character with a similar flavor and fighting style to these too?

Power Level 10, 150pp, Set in an alternate DC universe that let's you play fast and loose with the continuity form before new 52.

Thanks for the help!

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-24, 11:17 AM
Luckily, M&M is more about descriptors than anything else, so you build a "I'm just that good" melee character the same way you build a "I've got super powers and I use them to punch people" character.

So let's see... you'll want Enhanced Strength (Limited to Damage) to represent "I know how to hit you REALLY GOOD." After that... an array with a set of melee combat powers is always nice. Ideas for that:

Flurry-- Multiattack on Damage X, Variable Descriptor 1: any damage effect
Knockout Punch-- Affliction X (Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated ; resisted and overcome by Fortitude)
Hip Throw-- Affliction X (Hindered and Vulnerable; Stunned and Prone; resisted by Dodge, overcome by Fortitude), Extra Condition, Limited Degree
Nerve Pinch-- Weaken Stamina X
Perfect Punch-- Increased Range (Perception) on Damage X, Limited (only within arm's reach), Variable Descriptor 1: any damage effect
Find the Weakness-- Perception-Ranged Affliction X (Impaired and Vulnerable, Disabled and Defenseless; resisted and overcome by Fighting), Limited (when fighting me), Alternate Resistance, Extra Condition, Limited Degree
Strike the Weakness-- Penetrating on Damage X, Variable Descriptor 1: any damage effect

and so on.

Metahuman1
2013-10-24, 04:12 PM
Ok, sounds like a start. Now, how do I get the fire aspect worked in? Energy aura maybe?

And I did have a though cross my mind after the op: Maybe most of the powers should be mental powers to sort of represent that anime flair of "I can do this cause I'm bound and determined to do this/emotion's fuel my ability to do this."

Would that make any sense/be workable?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-24, 04:34 PM
Ok, sounds like a start. Now, how do I get the fire aspect worked in? Energy aura maybe?

And I did have a though cross my mind after the op: Maybe most of the powers should be mental powers to sort of represent that anime flair of "I can do this cause I'm bound and determined to do this/emotion's fuel my ability to do this."

Would that make any sense/be workable?
I'm not familiar with the source material, but... M&M is results-oriented. How your character does something doesn't matter so much as what the final outcome is. The only difference between "I can do this because of Willpower" and "I can do this because I have cybernetic implants" and "I can do this because I have mutant superpowers" is the descriptor.

So, in your case, your powers might have an [emotion] descriptor, meaning that they could be shut off by a Nullify (Emotions) effect, but would continue working if hit by, oh, Nullify (Mutant Powers).

Does that make sense?

As for the fire thing... depends on what you want it to do. If it's just a snazzy visual effect, it's just a descriptor. Maybe a Feature good for the occasional circumstance bonus, at most. On the other hand, if it's real fire, then yeah, some Reaction Damage or Environmental (Heat and Light) wouldn't go amiss.

Metahuman1
2013-10-24, 06:24 PM
To a point. So, having found a build for one of the two characters, how would I go about fluffing some of the physical ability's as coming form a mental source? just list them as Psionic descriptor?

Abilities
Strength 4, Stamina 4, Agility 3, Dexterity 2, Fighting 6, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Advantages
All-out Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Fearless, Great Endurance, Improved Critical 2: Fire Dragon's Iron Fist: Strength-based Damage 6, Improved Initiative, Minion 4, Power Attack, Startle

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+8), Athletics 5 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 4 (+10), Expertise: Magical Lore 4 (+4), Expertise: Survival 6 (+6), Intimidation 6 (+7)

Powers
Fire Eating - Immunity 10 (Fire), Sustained
. . AE: Nullify (Fire effects)
All reved up! - Regeneration 10 (Fades: replenished after eating fire)
Dragon Slayer Magic
. . Fire Dragon's Brilliant Flame - Ranged Burst Area Damage, Distracting
. . Fire Dragon's Iron Fist - Strength-based Damage 6, Penetrating 8, Enhanced Advantage (Improved Critical 2)
. . Fire Dragon's Roar: Cone Area Damage 10 - Cone Area Damage
. . Fire Dragon's Wing Slash - Damage 10, Reach 5, Split
Flame Propulsion - Leaping 7
Sensitive Nose: Senses 3 - Senses (Acute Smell, Extended Smell, Tracking: Smell)
Trained by a Dragon - Immunity 2 (Extreme Heat & Cold), Protection 7

Offense
Initiative +7
Fire Dragon's Brilliant Flame: Ranged Area, Damage 10
Fire Dragon's Iron Fist: Close +10, Damage 10
Fire Dragon's Roar: Area, Damage 10
Fire Dragon's Wing Slash: Close +10, Damage 10

Complications

Hot Blooded: short-tempered, impatient, impulsive, and brash. While he can sometimes be very clever, he usually charges head-first into any situation without considering the consequences.

Stand Up Guy: He's the sort of person that will tie himself in knots trying to help/save/protect other people as long as he doesn't have a good reason to think they deserve what ever he's trying to save them from.

Defense
Dodge 9, Parry 9, Fortitude 11, Toughness 11, Will 8

Power Points
Abilities 44 + Powers 58 + Advantages 11 + Skills 15 (30 ranks) + Defenses 22 = 150

I'm sorta thinking of moving the "Eating Fire" to "Just need a source of fire to absorb." and like I said, I want to make the build feel more like the powers come form her mind and not her body, but keep the in your face psudo martial arts vibe. Is that just a matter of adding a few descriptors?

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-24, 08:54 PM
To a point. So, having found a build for one of the two characters, how would I go about fluffing some of the physical ability's as coming form a mental source? just list them as Psionic descriptor?
I want to make the build feel more like the powers come form her mind and not her body, but keep the in your face psudo martial arts vibe. Is that just a matter of adding a few descriptors?
Most likely. As long as the mechanical effect of the power doesn't change, anything else is just a matter of descriptor.

Beleriphon
2013-10-25, 09:26 PM
Most likely. As long as the mechanical effect of the power doesn't change, anything else is just a matter of descriptor.

The only caveat that I'd add to that is if you're going for mental powers rather than something else adding the Subtle flat extra might be appropriate. For some fire thing, probably not but it is a possible consideration.